Alcantara vs Suede

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcantara vs Suede

So, what's the main difference between both? Do they look similar, feels about the same? Costs? Wich is more unique or expensive? Wich wears out faster?

I ask this because I have heared both names for a while now and never knew what are the main differences if exists.

Maybe photos to compare?

Thanks
    Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Looks: same
    Costs: same
    Feel: same
    UV protection: 80% same, suede loses.

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Suede is a type of leather. Alcantara is a brand name for artificial suede. So they are the same thing as far as appearance goes, but I believe Alcantara is designed to be used in interiors and is therefore more durable and holds up better to wear and UV light.

Comment

Alcantara is a manufacture brand of man made suede, suede is a type of leather, ultrasuede is another type of man made suede.

I use both ultra suede and alcantara brand suede in my upholstery work and there is a definite difference in the quality, feel and look from alcantara suede and other man made suedes. It also feels different then real suede.

Alcantara has a double rub wear rating of 200000 ultrasuede is 100000 real suede will start to have shiny shots on rub areas and isn't really a good choice for automotive interiors.

Alcantara is an approved material for a lot of the high line car manufacturers
        2013 C250
        2012 ALPINA B7
        2006 X5 e53
        2001 740i e38
        1998 e320 s210
        2016 Kawi Vaquero

Comment

Thanks for the hint on this subject guys. Looks like alcantare is the way to go :p
          Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Just make sure it's real alcantara. A lot of people try to pass off Ultrasuede as alcantara but if it doesn't have the Alcantara logo on the back of the fabric it's not real.
            2013 C250
            2012 ALPINA B7
            2006 X5 e53
            2001 740i e38
            1998 e320 s210
            2016 Kawi Vaquero

Comment

SFGadgetGuy - thanks for the info! What does the logo look like and where can one purchase black alcantara material at a good price?
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                SFGadgetGuy - thanks for the info! What does the logo look like and where can one purchase black alcantara material at a good price?

Gulf Fabrics is the Authorized distributor for Alcantara although other suppliers order from them and resell it. There is 2 types backed and non backed. Backed is used for seats so it doesn't stretch non-backed is for door panels or any curved surface which will allow you to wrap it with minimal to no wrinkles.

Here's a picture of the logo on the back of the backed material I use.

2013 C250
                2012 ALPINA B7
                2006 X5 e53
                2001 740i e38
                1998 e320 s210
                2016 Kawi Vaquero

Comment

how about microsuede ?

Comment

Originally posted by SFGadgetGuy View Post
                    Gulf Fabrics is the Authorized distributor for Alcantara although other suppliers order from them and resell it. There is 2 types backed and non backed. Backed is used for seats so it doesn't stretch non-backed is for door panels or any curved surface which will allow you to wrap it with minimal to no wrinkles.

Here's a picture of the logo on the back of the backed material I use.

Can you re-upload the pic? Couldn't see. As I'm trying to buy some Alcantara.

Thanks

Comment

I'll pitch in: alcantara's wear properties are materially superior to suede - ask anyone who has had a genuine Sport Evo steering wheel / gearshift knob. Suede does *not* last long in those applications. Alcantara OTOH is one of the most resilient materials for car interiors.

Comment

Cool to know that.

Could someone make a guess for what color I should look to match the below seats (bolster in alcantara seems?) ??

Comment

It is definitely not black, I would say dark or medium dark anthracite. Charcoal?
                          OTOH (...Peruvian cap on...)
                          Diego,
                          Antes de botar la guita en Alcantara, yo iria a Gamarra a chequear el suede que venden ahi. Tienen unas telas de la PM.
                          La pregunta es, Porque no compras the 'real thing' Anda donde estan las curtiembres mayoristas por el ovalo de Santa Anita y compra una pieza completa. Pilas nomas que tienes que decirles que quieres grado automotriz. La otra vez que fui por ahi compre tres 'hides' de cuero para mis carros.
                          Bueno, Bonito y Barato.
                          HTH (...Peruvian cap off..)

Cliff Notes... Just telling him my opinion on why he should try the real suede before he over spends in fake suede. Which in my opinion was a creation of the Luxury makers to charge near leather prices for a better sued with a registered trademark and limited availability/supply. (Remember M stands for Marketing).

Comment

Originally posted by diegom6 View Post
                            Cool to know that.

Could someone make a guess for what color I should look to match the below seats (bolster in alcantara seems?) ??
                            Black 9002
                            Kevin

www.seatkit.com New Site first week of April 2011
                            Your DIY upholstery source
                            e30tech forum sponsor
                            E46 uphosltery kits coming soon..........
                            kchinn@creativeoptions.info

Comment

My turn to bump a 7yo thread..lol

Looking at ultrasuede for my bolsters (to go with the red mtech I got from Brandon)!and came across this thread. Fortunately Gulf Fabric is local so I'll check it out and report.

Can anyone tell me how many yards the seats take minus the centers ?
                              Last edited by jeffnhiscars; 05-22-2017, 12:36 PM.
                              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                              Alice the Time Capsule
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
                              X