Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325is shifting bad

1988 325is auto, stock

The car rpm goes high before it shifts from 2nd to 3rd.
    If i drive slower it shifts fine. If i push the gas it will rev up to red before shifting.
    If i gas it hard from a stop, it will shake hard for 2 seconds.

Is this an auto trans problem or a drive shaft or what ?

Terry scyther bmw shop in austin city estimated 2000 to 3000 dollar to swap in a manual. Thats a lot but i do not want to go back to the auto if the transmission is bad.

Any advise ? Anyone knows someone that can do the swap cheaper ? Anywhere in austin, birmingham, memphis or pheonix city. Im desperate its my only car and its been very good, im not buying another car.

Any talented e30 guys out there can do the swap if i pay you instead

How many miles?
    Also, has the driveshaft been rebuilt/replaced? If not and it's over 150k miles, I'd say your DS u joints are toast regardless.

My first e30 (325es with stick) did that until I replaced the shaft with a reman. unit. Most will try to tell you to simply replace the center bearing and/or guibo, but that's just a temporary fix and those will fail shortly thereafter with bad u joints.
    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
      How many miles?
      Also, has the driveshaft been rebuilt/replaced? If not and it's over 150k miles, I'd say your DS u joints are toast regardless.

My first e30 (325es with stick) did that until I replaced the shaft with a reman. unit. Most will try to tell you to simply replace the center bearing and/or guibo, but that's just a temporary fix and those will fail shortly thereafter with bad u joints.
      Hi, 149k miles.

Should i change the center bearing, guibo and u joints then ?

Comment

Originally posted by helalo View Post
        Hi, 149k miles.

Should i change the center bearing, guibo and u joints then ?
        Remove the driveshaft and take it to a driveline repair shop where they will put new U joints on it along with a new CSB and re balance the shaft. Just did this, cost was $350 and it took them one day. Then bolt it back in place, don't forget to preload the CSB. Search is your friend, buenos suerte mijo.

Comment

/\ agreed.
          If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

...and your transmission is misadjusted or gunky inside at least, or just plain worn out...

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

My transmission is dying :(

Comment

Working...
              X