No announcement yet.

Delphin Gray Convertible: S52 Summer Daily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Bentley also lists the timing cover bolts as being M8s and requiring 15 ft/lbs. This is wrong and the four bolts I snapped back me up. I ended up having to seat and then redo the timing cover four times.
    The bolts are actually M6s so I torqued them down to 89 in/lbs and everything worked out.
    I had the same issues if it makes you feel any better... even snapped a few at the right torque. It seems they are over torqued from the factory or weaken over time. I replaced them all with 10.9 grade.

Nice work!! Looking forward to seeing it start!
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Comment

Figured out the no fuel / no spark!

The damn 13 button OBC was acting as an immobilizer. Unplugged it and it worked first try.

Does anyone know how to bypass that feature? I'd really to keep it installed...

Anyway when I went to turn it over again after the first time, it looks like the starter is misaligned and made a wonderful banging noise and seems like it's slipping off of the flywheel. Looks like that needs to get repaired next

Comment

I also noticed once I got the M50 manifold in that the brake fluid reservoir was hitting the TPS plug and that the reservoir would have to be removed from the master if the manifold needed to come out. Since that would be a total PITA, I'm going with a remote reservoir setup.

Ireland Engineering sells a remote kit:

But you can put the same thing together on AutohausAZ for less than half and get free shipping. This is the parts list:

Comment

And as a side note, racing season is opening back up and Lemons is just a month away. We all pulled the car out and are getting ready for this season.

Comment

Originally posted by exhaust View Post
            Figured out the no fuel / no spark!

The damn 13 button OBC was acting as an immobilizer. Unplugged it and it worked first try.

Does anyone know how to bypass that feature? I'd really to keep it installed...
            I had the exact same issue. although I had already pulled the OBC for a Euro clock. In order to get the car to start post swap, I had to bypass the OBC immobilizer. Here are some threads that helped me. It's pretty easy to test. I literally stuck a flat screwdriver in the plug to short the two green wires and when I did it fired right up.

and here:
            Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Originally posted by Mwishlist View Post
              I had the exact same issue. although I had already pulled the OBC for a Euro clock. In order to get the car to start post swap, I had to bypass the OBC immobilizer. Here are some threads that helped me. It's pretty easy to test. I literally stuck a flat screwdriver in the plug to short the two green wires and when I did it fired right up.

and here:
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...8&postcount=87
              Thanks! That diagram is really helpful, I really appreciate it

Comment

No problem man, glad I could help.
                Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

I love seeing my old car in such good hands! I'm the prior owner, at least 3x removed, and owned it in the early 2000's. Exhaust, sent you an IM

Jeff
                  All Your Base Is Belongs To Us

Comment

Update!

The no start issue was solved a few weeks ago but I haven't had a chance to update.

It turns out the 13 button OBC was acting as an immobilizer. As soon as it was unplugged I cranked it over and was greeted with an open headers S52 idle. Finally felt good to get a win.

Now I just need to install the cooling, brakes, AC, etc. By comparison that should all be pretty easy.

I decided to go with an M42 radiator to clean up the bay. Hopefully it's enough to cool the car when running AC. The current plan is the high power fan and water wetter.

Comment

Radiator, condenser and aux fan in. Haven't done to much between race season and being on the road for work.

Comment

Also, update from NJ Lemons 2016... Race car got a new paint job in the theme of a German WWII fighter. It all went pretty well until I put the car into a wall during some heavy rain coming onto the back straight. Messed it up pretty good and bent the front frame rails to the side but luckily our guys were able to get it back together within a few hours.

There was also this awesome Citroen on the track. Hydraulic suspension and all.

Comment

Got some stuff done this weekend. AC lines are all installed, shifter linkage is in and cleaned up some wiring. Driveshaft would have gone in but I ordered the wrong guibo a while back.

Also replaced the hose for the clutch master cylinder because the remote reservoir setup will need a much longer one. Kind of pain, working at the pedals is a very awkward angle.

Mechanical stuff is nearly done. After that it's electrical work and then driving. Also figured out an exhaust setup. Going to reuse my midpipe that has a Magnaflow cat, mate it to the long tube headers and end with a UUC System-U catback.

Should sound something like this:
                          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

A friend of mine has one on his E36 M3. Very daily-able but if you get on it it puts out some good sound.

Comment

More parts...

Comment

sub'd
                              i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

So it turns out I ordered the wrong Guibo. I'm not sure what's going on but I've ordered the wrong one twice now... The ones I keep receiving are just to big.

In any event, this past weekend the intake was put together (forgot to take a picture but I'm using a KA V5 Intake) and I started on the brake reservoir setup. I needed to extend the line from the clutch master to the bay which has turned out to be, in my opinion, the worst job on this project so far. I just can't get the damn hose fitting into the master.

Any pointers?

Comment

Working...
                                X