LS swap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LS swap question

Hi, guys since I'm kind of a noob but I have a question. I've had a few BMW's but never swapped any of them. I recently picked up a 84 318i. Ive done my fair share of research and ended up going with an LS6 but do not yet have a tranny to go with it. I'll probably end up going with a T56. I know the booster has to be moved. I actually plan on eliminating it, but does the tranny tunnel have to be modified to accommodate this transmission? I don't want to paint the interior and then find out i have to cut into it afterward.

You just have to beat the shit out of the tunnel and grind some pieces off the transmission

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    e30Ls1 Swap IG: 1dirty30

Comment

It is hit or miss depending on the kit whether or not you have to cut into the tranny tunnel a little for the shifter. I had to with mine. And yeah like Reyhan said you will have to massage the tunnel a bit to get it to fit
      1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
      COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

There are only two places you may need to cut; 1. hole for shifter 2. cross support thingy (<-- technical term) located in the trans tunnel exactly where your output would sit on the transmission.

As Pootis and Reyhan said, depending on the kit and cross member you may not have to cut anything. The fire wall can be clearanced easily with a BFH.
        Current: '91 DS M3, '03 TS M3 (6MT)
        '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax - Race car hauler, '90 Corvette - Weekend toy
        Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
        1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

IG: RDE_Fabrications
        Check us out
        Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

Whatever questions you have you can ask either one of us or just keep this thread open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          e30Ls1 Swap IG: 1dirty30

Comment

In addition to the above, you will also need to hammer 2 spots in the tunnel if you're installing a T56, marked below.

And this is why you need to cut the factory shifter support brace thingy

Alpine White 1989 E30 Coupe - LS1/T56

Comment

Working...
            X