Megasquirt or warchip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Megasquirt or warchip?

Right now i am running a Begi RRFPR and a turbo chip. I want to get away from it. I know dont flame me.

My goal is to get a good safe tune and be able to control my boost. i can mount a pc in the car for mega squirt if needed.

For example, i want 3 main tunes.

1 for street with little (1 or 2 psi) to no boost. ya i know but i want to stay outta of trouble in this god forsaken state that i love so much.

1 for autocross with 4 psi.

1 for track with my full boost of 8 psi.

I know i can get mega sqquirt for about 450 from a board member
    and i can get warchip for 350 from miller.

What do i need to make this work. thank you very much all.

This is the first I have heard of the WAR chip.

That is a fucking brilliant and amazing device, my hat is off to Mr. Brody Saari and Mr. Miller.

Assuming that the damn thing works, that is.

Now I wanna see what someone does with the ebay turbo kit, a set of 24Lb injectors and a WAR chip...

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Yeah, more info on the WAR would be sweet.

I saw it on their site, but i didnt get much from it

Comment

this depends on what you want.

MS is going to give you a lot more flexibility, better software/support on the datalogging and analysis side, extra I/O and control over everything. The extra control can be overwhelming if you aren't prepared to learn and understand way more about engines than most people care to.

The WAR chip is going to give you a head start with things like startup, warm up, idle, etc. already built in. You will be able to tune fuel and spark, and change your rev limit. You won't be able to do much else aside from that. No acceleration enrichment, single coil with a cap and rotor.

with MS there is no need for different tunes based on different levels of boost (actually, there's no need for that with any ECU including motronic and the WAR chip). That is built into the 3D fuel and ignition maps. You tune your maps to the highest PSI your engine will see. If you set your boost controller to 4psi on a map tuned to 8psi, it just won't go into the 8psi part of your map.

the only time it would make a difference is if you had a tune for race gas (110 octane or higher). But you could still do that with MS very easily using table switching.

also there is a limit with motronic and how big of an injector you can use. 24# injectors aren't going to be good for very much boost, 8psi will be skirting the edge. And you won't have a way to tell motronic that the injector opening times of your new injectors are different from the stock ones (this is a problem with swapping random injectors into your car anyway).
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Response from Brody:

Hi Luke,

I tried calling as it would be easier to talk about than type. Anyway, The W.A.R. Chip works for most BMW ecu's right now as long as they are OBDI. If you purchase the W.A.R. Chip for you M20, you can choose a $60.00 option for a custom base map to help you start your turbo file. Its better than starting from bone stock files. This isn't a perfect tune, just an educated guess to help you get going a little faster.

When it is time for you to swap you engine/ECU, all you have to do is email us for the upgrade to 413 W.A.R. Software for windows. The software will eventually be one complete package, but for now troubleshooting and bug detection, we have each ECU with its own windows software package. You would then use the 413 windows software and 413 files to retune your new setup. You are right, this really is the last chip you would ever need as long as you are staying OBDI. Im not an expert on the Engine names, but I believe M52B28 is OBDII? If it is, then the W.A.R. Chip won't work, but if it is OBDI, then yes, the W.A.R. Chip will still be of use.

Thanks for you positive words, we have been getting a lot of "heat" from the self proclaimed gods of BMW tuning. If you have any more questions or need clarification on the above, let me know.

--
          Brody Saari

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

the war chip sounds like an easier alternative than MS and I think it may be a little cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Jbpka06 View Post
              the war chip sounds like an easier alternative than MS and I think it may be a little cheaper.
              No, a full DIY MS system can be done for about $300 if you gotz skillz.

The WAR chip has WAY less features, but is far easier to setup.

Both can be changed to other motors. No COP setup capability on M20s either, so gonna have a distributor forever.

Closing SOON!

Comment

you can run COP with MS2 ;)

basically it comes down to this:
                MS, harder to setup, more flexibility
                WAR, easier to setup, less features
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                  Response from Brody:

You are right, this really is the last chip you would ever need as long as you are staying OBDI. Im not an expert on the Engine names, but I believe M52B28 is OBDII? If it is, then the W.A.R. Chip won't work, but if it is OBDI, then yes, the W.A.R. Chip will still be of use.
                  wonder if you use the 413 red label if it makes a difference?

more importantly what i wanna ask him, is if i can use this and run meterless with a carbon fiber intake mani? if so this will cut my costs almost in half as opposed to a Alpha N setup aka MaXX.

Comment

Originally posted by smonkbmw View Post
                    wonder if you use the 413 red label if it makes a difference?

more importantly what i wanna ask him, is if i can use this and run meterless with a carbon fiber intake mani? if so this will cut my costs almost in half as opposed to a Alpha N setup aka MaXX.
                    I chatted with him a good half hour...really nice guy!

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      you can run COP with MS2 ;)
                      Duh, OBVIOUSLY I meant with the WARchip...even though I did not make that clear...

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      basically it comes down to this:
                      MS, harder to setup, more flexibility
                      WAR, easier to setup, less features
                      Truf.

Closing SOON!

Comment

So with the war chip you can or can't change fuel mapping?
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                        Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

you can

Comment

You can change your timing curves also correct? War ship sounds the way to go on an m50. It would save a shit tone of time.
                            84 318I Delphin RIP
                            87 325IS delphin 24v Sold
                            89 325 Alpineweiss

Comment

so I could run 35 lb injectors with war chip ?
                              sigpic
                              mods: just meat and potatoes under the hood and wheaties on fire out back ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X