No announcement yet.

GPS Laptimers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it only needs to be hard mounted if you intend on using the accelerometer features, you don't need anything special for the GPS.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I have Harry's on iP4.
      I screwed up somehow last track day so all I got was the overall time = sadface.

Comment

Originally posted by Lof8 View Post
        These apps look really cool. I hadn't even considered this before. Harry's Timer looks very thorough, but I cant seem to find a list of the programmed tracks.
        Harry's Laptime is the shit. I bought it a long time ago and it was barely worth the price. Since then, he has added a ton of new functionality to it. Stuff that he should really be charging for but isn't.

In fact, the navigation takes some getting used to because of how much stuff is in there. That said, I haven't used it ON a track. But I've made a few tracks out of local roads, and it functions pretty well.

If you wanted to know if you were shaving fractions of a second off your laps, it probably isn't good enough for that. If you wanted to know what kind of force and speed you were putting through a corner, it will tell you that with a great degree of accuracy.

There is a track list out there someplace. It's not easy to find. I think I google searched for it to find it on his site. The track list is HUGE though, and always growing. Also, because you can make a track (though it's not simple) you could always map out your local track.
        -------------------------------------------------
        1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
        2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

Originally posted by NigelStu View Post
          Being very familiar with GPS based data acquisition systems, I'd be very curious to see how these phone apps compare. I have a hard time believing that the accuracy and processing power is anywhere near the level of even the low-end DA systems, so doubt the usefulness beyond 'look how cool this is, I did a lap in x.xx.xxx!".

I have an Android phone, so I can't compare the Harry's timer. Anyone with a Traqmate or Race Technology and either Harry's or Trackaroo want to compare output between the DA system and the phone app?
          First, I bet you the iPhone 4 and recent smart phones have faster processors than any of the DA systems. Of course, you don't need a ton of processing bandwidth to deal with this sort of info, a simple Arduino would probably do it. What you do need is quality testing, quality sensors, and quality input. The first two are self explanatory, the input comes from the number of GPS satellites you are hitting, and the stability of the device.

I know that the sensors in the iPhone 4 are very sensitive, almost unbelievably sensitive. The GPS is a GPS, it can only get better by getting better readings. I do know that external GPS receivers are suggested for the iPhone 4 by the software developers, if only because the receiver can be mounted someplace where you wouldn't want or couldn't mount the phone.
          -------------------------------------------------
          1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
          2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

+1 for Harry's! It's is very nice for the price.

k
            Metal Mover @ www.milehighcarhelper.com

Comment

I used Chronos GPS for Android and it worked well on my HTC Thunderbolt. It drains the battery pretty quick though (Thunderbolt already has short battery life). I ended up plugging the in-car recharger while I was tracking.

I used the free version which doesn't let you export the data. The registered version lets you export data. Also, this app is accurate only to the tenth of a second.

Comment

I tried an Android app called aLapTimer or something similar but it didn't work.

Comment

I have the GPS Lap Timer. Its $1.03 on the android market. You use a satellite photo to designate the start/stop location and it learns the track from your first couple of laps. The only problem i experienced is there was no 3G reception on the track to obtain the satellite images. Had to set a generic location based on GPS location and then i went to fast food place and used the wifi to download the track GPS image and refine the stop start location. So basically i'd recommend trying to set up the track location and start/stop position before you get to your remote location.
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                  My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Working...
                  X