Yet another delay on my car....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another delay on my car....

A year ago, I bought a wiring harness from a guy on BimmerForums, and he said it was a '95 M3 OBD-1 wiring harness. After my dad and I started the wiring the other day, we realized there were extra relays and wires. My dad IM'd me today saying this:

nryf1: "The harness is off a Canadian-spec '95 M3, automatic transmission, with Skid-Control. Furthermore, it is a 'bastard' harness. it is a Bosch harness with what is called ews2, late production. I finally got adiagram from flow bmw and the system has the ignition key permissive system and the body management module. There are wires in places where therearen't supposed to be any, etc.

In other words, it MIGHT work, but we have to bypass the EWS 2 system and sort out the extra unneeded wires and solder in new ones that are not in places they should be. When he starts it up, there's a chance it will completely fry the harness/ECU and I will have a large, blunt metal object shoved up my rectum.

If that's the case, I have to buy a proper OBD-1 harness and ECU, roughly $900.

Yea, I'm a little heated.

Aww shit Stu. It seems as soon as you get close to having your S50, it gets pulled away from you.
    This waiting period must be hell.
    Best of luck.

Comment

Come on man, with the way things have been going, you shouldn't be surprised.

Keep your head up.

Comment

Re: Yet another delay on my car....

Originally posted by Stu Mc
        Yea, I'm a little heated.
        Simmah down.. :drink: .junkyards/breakers,msg boards and classifieds ads are your best friends now..

Comment

so why rather than wasting time to sort out this wiring harness, and bypass the EWS2... why not just source a new harness?
          Seems like that would solve a lot of the hassle this will present you.
          Below the radar...

Comment

And I thought it was bad having GC always out of half their shocks :P

Comment

Just leave the computer and go get drunk.....

Tomorrow you'll think about all this shit with your head straight ( or somewhat straight ) :P

As for the wiring, hey bro, I'm just like you on that...... when i expect something, any little detail that delays my goal is reason to get pissed off. Just try to cool down and wait I guess.... there's not much to do at this point.
              Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
              EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
              FullOpp Stickers for sale!
              NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
              Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
              ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

You're almost there man...You can see the finish line...Just one more hurdle to get over and it will be over and the celebrating can begin. Keep your head up Stu, it's almost done.
                Just livin in the OC minus my E30

Comment

Originally posted by rward325
                  You're almost there man...You can see the finish line...Just one more hurdle to get over and it will be over and the celebrating can begin. Keep your head up Stu, it's almost done.
                  I have a feeling I'm gonna get to the next hurdle and trip over it flat on my face.

UNCHlL----A new harness is about $400-600.

This project has been the worlds biggest pain in the ass.

ADVICE: IF ANY OF YOU GUYS DO AN M50 SWAP, BUY A COMPLETE MOTOR/TRANNY/WIRING/ECU FROM ONE CAR, DON'T MIX AND MATCH!!! It will save a LOT of headaches.

Comment

First off, it never ceases to amaze me you can NEVER type my handle correctly.
                    Here is my reasoning behind the idea of buying a new wiring harness...
                    600 max for the new one, you know it works.
                    Go with the current EWS one, and potentially fry the whole system.
                    That makes a $900 dollar investment.

Good luck regardless
                    Below the radar...

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL
                      First off, it never ceases to amaze me you can NEVER type my handle correctly.
                      Here is my reasoning behind the idea of buying a new wiring harness...
                      600 max for the new one, you know it works.
                      Go with the current EWS one, and potentially fry the whole system.
                      That makes a $900 dollar investment.

Good luck regardless
                      I know, I always spell your name wrong.

Can't afford a new harness. Well I can but I have other priorities (cough, Gas for the S50!!!). An OBD-2 harness is worthless, especially mine.

Comment

Isnt there a way to pop the hood on an E36 from outside the car? :twisted:

Good luck, personally I would kill to be in your shoes (you are much closer than me). Hopefully soon.
                        Im now E30less.
                        sigpic

Comment

Stu, EWS is an absolute nightmare to bypass. I'm sure your dad could do it, but if I was in your situation I'd buy another harness because it makes life that much easier. It's worth the cost IMHO.

Unless, of course, you like shoving things in your rectum :D.

Fred

'86 325 2.8i stroker - Arctic Blue
                          '11 328i Sports Wagon - LeMans Blue
                          Strictly Eta

Comment

Originally posted by Fred
                            Stu, EWS is an absolute nightmare to bypass. I'm sure your dad could do it, but if I was in your situation I'd buy another harness because it makes life that much easier. It's worth the cost IMHO.

Fred
                            Fred--What exactly is EWS? I know it has to do with retaining the ignition that coincides with the ECU.

As for the latter; negatory.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred

Fred
                              Fred--What exactly is EWS? I know it has to do with retaining the ignition that coincides with the ECU.

As for the latter; negatory.
                              Well, kinda. EWS is the system that doesn't allow cars to be stolen. There is an antenna ring and such, when the key goes in it sends a signal to the EWS ECU and all the car systems "align" causing the engine to run. It is a mix of analog and digital signals and is a pita.

Comment

Working...
                              X