Oil Filter Housing/Oil Cooler Removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Filter Housing/Oil Cooler Removed

I had picked up a 90 325i a couple of months ago as a beater/project car. I had replaced the timing belt, water pump and some other stuff. I took it to a well known e30 shop and they gave me back the list of things needing fixed/replaced. The one the stuck out to me the most was that the Oil Filter Housing and Oil Cooler are missing. How worried should I be? Is anyone else running without either of these and not experiencing problems? I havent noticed anything crazy happening with the engine except its noisy which they think could be due to needing a valve adjustment

If the oil filter housing is missing what is the oil filter attached to ? Or is that also missing ?

Comment

ETA's didnt have an oil cooler, maybe they just used the fitting from an eta and the filter now mounts directly to the block. You'll get varied opinions on how required they are, but if you drive spirited you most certainly want to have one. More than likely you won't notice any negatives with not having a cooler. If you choose to install one just make sure you get a oil filter housing with a thermostat in it, as your oil cooler isn't supposed to be circulating cold oil around the motor constantly. (It'll increase the time your car takes to warm up)

Comment

Its just a screw on filter straight to the block.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it. The stock M20 cooler apparently does very little for cooling the oil.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

here's a picture from the shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No panic.

If you track it, then it's worth adding a cooler- but then, for your money,
              an aftermarket cooler in a cooler (heh) location probably will be a better investment.

It certainly won't hurt itself in normal driving.

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Ok thanks guy! Now onto the bigger problem dealing with my fuse box in another thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The oil coolers rarely open but IIRC, if younrun without one you have to bypass it rather than plug it otherwise, if it does open you lose it pressure with disasterous results. I believe this tidbit comes from Jim Levy who, as we know, makes stuff up just for fun :)
                  Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                  Alice the Time Capsule
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                  87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Don't sweat the oil cooler, even with spirited driving. All our endurance cars have them deleted and do very long races in the FL heat.

Originally posted by jag09 View Post
                    Its just a screw on filter straight to the block.
                    You need part number 11112140435 to do so, as the block and filter both have female threads.
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:
                    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                      Don't sweat the oil cooler, even with spirited driving. All our endurance cars have them deleted and do very long races in the FL heat.

You need part number 11112140435 to do so, as the block and filter both have female threads.
                      Do you plug them or bypass them
                      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                      Alice the Time Capsule
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                        Do you plug them or bypass them

Neither. Use the eta part number 11112140435, mount the filter directly to the block and over-fill by 1/2 qt. Our used (200+k miles) engines have been lasting at least a full year. We only lost 2 engines because of rental driver error in ~4yr - they weren't paying attention to the gauges after a meeting with a wall/car. The cars do about 3-4 endurance races (10-24hr), and about 20-30 40min races/sessions per year, several in the dead of summer.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:
                        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Jim Levy says the oem oil cooler is good for 5 degrees of cooling in the track. So it's definitely not essential.
                          AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                          X