Turbo m52 87 325 race car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Northern View Post
    Not sure if you could take an up-close picture of the weave on the carbon DS, maybe with a coin for scale? Just interested on how large and what sort of weave they use for it.

I think the revshift guibo with the carbon one piece shaft may be a recipe for disaster too. The OEM guibo holds a hell of a lot of power, and with both the DSS shaft and revshift guibo both being well known for adding vibration, it might lead to a problem in the future.

Also, which turbo manifold is that? I didn't see anything about it
    It's a custom manifold by Rhom Innovations, the shop doing the work on my car.
    1987 325 project

Comment

Exhaust and fuel lines are done. It's basically ready to start.

First race is coming up Sept 10th for ShiftS3ctor
      1987 325 project

Comment

IT'S ALIVE. Tuning will be done this weekend. Hopefully all goes well!

1987 325 project

Comment

Awesome! Looks like some great work!
          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Cool build! With all the good, lightweight stuff going on the car, why the steelies?
            '91 325i

Comment

Originally posted by Nader393 View Post
              Cool build! With all the good, lightweight stuff going on the car, why the steelies?
              Honestly, I've always loved the look of them on an e30 and always wanted a set for one of mine. However, they are just a temporary on here until I order another set of wheels built to my specs. There was a mad dash trying to get it ready for Shift S3ctor this year and I just wanted a cheap set of wheels that would work for it. I missed the event with my e30 and ended up taking my Evo X.
              1987 325 project

Comment

Made 520whp 470 wtq at 17.5lbs on a mustang dyno on e85 recently.
                1987 325 project

Comment

Looks like some nice work for sure! What are you planning to do with it? 1/2 mile stuff?
                  - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
                    Looks like some nice work for sure! What are you planning to do with it? 1/2 mile stuff?
                    Yeah, I mainly started this with the intention of running it at Shift S3ctor. Unfortunately it wasn't done in time last year so I ended up racing my evo when it was at just 350whp (488whp now).

While the e30 is ready to race it this year, Shift S3ctor unfortunately won't be in Oregon this year due to them repaving the airfield same time it was supposed to happen.

The car has had 1 day at the drag strip so far. Without launch control, still a lot of weight reduction to be done and the rear end still needing to be built, it back to back was throwing 11.4 @ 126mph. This was it supposedly making 520whp on a mustang dyno. However I wasn't there at the time and never got a sheet proving it. I put it on my friends mustang dyno and made like 398whp. So either something was up and it was making less power on e85, or it really didn't make 520whp which means I can crank the boost up more as it is turned down quite a bit at 17.5lbs
                    1987 325 project

Comment

Attached Files
                      1987 325 project

Comment

AWESOME! great project! I love projects like this.

Comment

I saw this on FB earlier, and you mentioned this build thread... Didn't expect to actually stumble across it. Looks great!

I wish I had access to e85 lol
                          Originally posted by priapism
                          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                          Originally posted by shameson
                          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                            I saw this on FB earlier, and you mentioned this build thread... Didn't expect to actually stumble across it. Looks great!

I wish I had access to e85 lol
                            Yeah! I'm not too active here so I update it as I remember.
                            1987 325 project

Comment

Little update:

We are scrapping the carbon fiber driveshaft before even using it. It won't fit the application I am now in the process of having built. I am having a completely custom rear subframe built to allow a 3.5" 1,100 hp rated driveshaft from The Driveshaft Shop to fit it. As well as just allow it to be dialed in completely for this setup. We couldn't get rear camber to zero out completely so we will be able to with this setup. I also wanted something beefy and also allow the shop to use their creativity again. It will also allow for the differential to work in this.

The 2.93 differential is being replaced with a e39 540i open diff that is being fitted with a Wavetrac LSD. Instead of the single ear the stock differential has, this has two built in. So I won't need to buy the Garagistic secondary diff mount that bolts on to the stock single ear. From my understanding there's multiple people running this diff and throwing 1,000 hp at it and launching it without issue. This is good. I want my drivetrain to handle everything I throw at it. The next weakest link however would by my ZF transmission I bought for $100. Second gear isn't happy. I'm just hoping I can make it last until I go with a sequential gear box.

Instead of the 700 hp axles The Driveshaft shop offers for $1,784.98 (crazy price compared to the other axles they make). We asked they make ones that can handle 1,000 hp. Now the car doesn't make 1,000 hp right now and currently is on a stock engine, everything is being built to handle at least 1,000 because I rather do it once than upgrade as the power increases. I do have goals of putting out that much power so that maybe, just maybe I can kinda compete with some vehicles at Shift S3ctor, TX2k**, or other 1/2 mile events.

The car still needs to be retuned and turned up. it was last tuned to 520whp/470wtq. I told them to tune it to about 550wtq as that is what I understand to be the threshold for these engines stock.

The dash should hopefully be flocked later this week so no more blinding white reflecting onto the windshield making it impossible to see while driving.

I'm now getting married as what was once my GF now turned Fiance. She is kicking it into high gear with wanting this project done for us. She wants it painted for our wedding photos so it will be a push to get the car done and painted before out November wedding. Really it will come down to having the money for a paint job with paying for a wedding as well. We want to do orange on the outside, black on the inside and painting the cage orange to match the outside. It should look cool when done, that's for sure. Wish I had a bunch of photos for everyone but alas I don't. Soon though!

Attached Files
                              1987 325 project

Comment

Damn this is nuts. In for more pics
                                1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                                COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Working...
                                X