E30 OEM KEY OCD Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition lock

So the ignition lock is a special case - no rebuild kit for it that I've found. Removal and install are really easy - DIY here. You have 2 options around rebuilding a worn ignition lock cylinder:

1) order a coded lock cylinder brand new from the dealer that matches your current car. part number for this is 32-32-1-153-046

2) buy a new ignition lock plus key that does not match your doors, trunk, glovebox etc, part number 32-32-1-152-474. Live with the extra key or rebuild your current door locks to match the new key.

Obviously if you do the latter you can't order dealer coded keys anymore :-)

Both part numbers above appear to be good for all E30, E28 and E24. Here's the realoem page for the air bag car ignition lock (part 4 in the diagram - the 307,308,and 309 part numbers appear to be NLA).

UPDATE: FCP Euro blog has an 80s mercedes ignition lock replacement post. Procedure should be pretty much identical.
    Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 08:50 PM.
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Yea my plan is to buy the VIN matched ignition, then re-key the doors, trunk and glovebox to match the VIN keys.

So, I would need to buy two rebuild kits?

Driver-door 51-21-9-061-343.

Pass door, glovebox and trunk , 51-21-9-556-313. Do I need 3 of these?
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I'd get one driver, one pass/trunk and one glove box kit. You should have enough springs and inserts for everything with that

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

You really should research the keys you already ordered.. You can order a coded ignition lock for about $30.. If the keys you ordered match then just rebuild your locks with the repair kits...

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

The valet key blanks arrived! They're definitely legit.

Here's the full set of key blanks now, plus a coded wallet key

Confirmed the valet key blank does not fit the trunk lock or glove box lock. You can see why - it has taller notches on the blank. It's definitely NOT thicker though, so that info was definitely wrong. btw the wallet key in this pic is brand new, so there's no wear on it.

The blank is also shorter than a master key, as expected.
            Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 08:53 PM.

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
              32321109801 Standard Key (no plastic bits)

Haven't confirmed the valet key blank part number, but I think it's either this standard key or just a shorter version of it.
              I can (unfortunately) confirm that for you. Just ordered a new coded key, they sent me the standard one (so no, it's not NLA) and it's shorter and doesn't insert into the trunk or glovebox.

It does, however, engage the double-lock on my drivers door, no problem.
              '89 lachssilber vert - Frau Blücher
              '84 alpine 2dr - gone to the great beyond...
              '00 titanium 4dr e46 - bricked

Comment

Interesting. Any chance you can post the part number that shows up on your invoice? All the coded keys I ordered came as the headless steel ones (wallet key - see post 5 and first post). Maybe it's my local dealers service department doing things differently than yours

As to getting the shorter key for an E30, if the deadbolt lock is working then pretty much by definition you have a standard length key.. Either your deadbolt isn't working or you have a standard length key that can reach the extra tumblers..

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

I don't know what to tell you:

It's shorter. You can see it's missing the last "prongs" that are seen on my destroyed old key. It opens driver and passenger door, but won't insert into the trunk or glove box.

But it DOES engage the double lock on the drivers door. There is no 'I' mark or any other mark on it.

The only thing I can think of is I did rebuild the drivers lock a few months ago. I seem to recall there being special tumblers for the double lock. It's possible I screwed up there. But I was pretty sure I did it right.
                  Last edited by Semblance; 01-08-2015, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Good pic.. Absolutely without a doubt a valet key

So you can turn the drivers door lock all the way to the right, horizontal?

What kind of E30 are you running?

HOWTOs:
                    DB vert plastic bumpers
                    OEM Keys
                    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                    91 ic Calypso 3.1
                    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Yup. All the way to the right. It successfully engages the double lock - can't open from passenger side (though oddly I could open it from the trunk with the other key. Weird).

I have an 89 vert.

Like I said, maybe I screwed up the tumblers.

Comment

Yup - rebuild your driver door lock cylinder - $25 and a couple of beers lol

Thanks for confirming things btw

HOWTOs:
                        DB vert plastic bumpers
                        OEM Keys
                        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                        91 ic Calypso 3.1
                        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Nah, I just rebuilt it a few months ago, it works great except for this. I'm not going to rebuild it just to make the valet key work. There's enough other crap falling apart on a daily basis.

Thanks for this post, totally helpful.

Comment

very helpful thread, bradnic. thanks a lot for all the good info.

i finally finished rebuilding my lock core.

the first stumbling block: the kit i got was missing a key piece of the assembly. looks like it came that way from the manufacturer. pelican took care of me though. make sure your rebuild kit has all the pieces before you take yours apart and are left with a gaping whole in your door for far too long. working badly would have been better than gaping whole, had a realized that first.

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                            Yup - rebuild your driver door lock cylinder - $25 and a couple of beers lol

Thanks for confirming things btw
                            second stumbling block: it might have gone faster for me without the all beers though. ;)

got it all back together and i was trying to figure out how it's really supposed to work when i ran across this thread. i didn't know the 'inhibit' system. i thought i'd put something back together incorrectly. i incorrectly thought it supposed to return to the upright position. really glad i know how it's actually supposed to work.

and just now i looked at my keys. brass and super worn, so i guess super lucky it all still works.

next stop, garagistic to order up steel keys and then to the googelator find a willing locksmith....

thanks again for the thread. i love r3v. its all here.
                            sigpic

Comment

bumping this up for two questions, maybe three

#1 Is it more cost effective/ reliable to have the tumblers re-keyed or just buy new?
                              #2 What is the best process to get the tumblers matched to the VIN cut key?
                              #3 Can any locksmith do this? Simple DIY?
                              Last edited by 2mAn; 08-26-2016, 01:33 PM.
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

bumping old thread.. just ordered a key from bmw with my vin # since I lost my recent cut key and only have the bad original key. Figured they'd give me the master key with the black head but no they sent me the valet key... $77 dollars for a key I can't open my trunk or glove box with. :( I called them back and told them that the key only opens the driver door and turns the car on and the guy that helped me at the dealer said he'll see what he can do and call up bmw north america. He also mentioned most likely they'll send another key. (better be free of charge i hope). i'll update soon.
                                FS: Plug n Play Second Trunk Light !
                                My Parts for Sale Thread~

x 1984 325e 2.7i ~ CastroMotorsport Built x Daily Driven

Comment

Working...
                                X