No announcement yet.

CXracing turbo kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aren't the crxracing turbo manifolds like a 1/4 off on the head ports?

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Is anyone running this? This price is achievable, and for 80hp and turbo sounds I would be in! Reviews, anything extra you need etc? A clutch maybe?
      BMW tech
      Umass Amherst
      05 wrx sti

Comment

Buy it. Just don't run the turbo, buy a better turbo and add a waste gate provision to run external wastegate to the 1st Gen turbo manifold.

Comment

Originally posted by BMWManiac View Post
          Has anyone moved to the new CXracing style manifold? They state they have made improvements, but I'm curious if anyone is running one and can describe how the fitment is, what kind of power is being made....Since they also offer a downpipe, it might be an easy swap for those of us running the adapter.
          The collector on the new style manifolds looks like complete dogshit, but already has provisions for a wastegate (and likely fits the iX cars, unlike the old.)
          Old style manifolds are just knockoffs of the Dan Pinder "Sweedish" manifolds from ~2006 and the collectors don't seem to be as bad. Downside is: you need to add your own wastegate tube/flange (assuming you're running an external)

Fitment seems shitty. Ross cut one up a while back and significantly moved a lot of stuff around just to get it lined up with the exhaust ports on the head. They seem like a good starting point, but I wouldn't buy one assuming it's going to be good to go right out of the box.

For a turbo, I would buy a used HX35 and a seal kit over a CX turbo.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
            Buy it. Just don't run the turbo, buy a better turbo and add a waste gate provision to run external wastegate to the 1st Gen turbo manifold.
            What is a wastegate provision? And I've never heard of putting a wastegate into a manifold? I thought they went to atmosphere?

Would you recommend purchasing their components and the turbo separately? What size turbo would be good for a pretty quick spool and power to redline?
            Originally posted by Northern View Post
            The collector on the new style manifolds looks like complete dogshit, but already has provisions for a wastegate (and likely fits the iX cars, unlike the old.)
            Old style manifolds are just knockoffs of the Dan Pinder "Sweedish" manifolds from ~2006 and the collectors don't seem to be as bad. Downside is: you need to add your own wastegate tube/flange (assuming you're running an external)

Fitment seems shitty. Ross cut one up a while back and significantly moved a lot of stuff around just to get it lined up with the exhaust ports on the head. They seem like a good starting point, but I wouldn't buy one assuming it's going to be good to go right out of the box.

For a turbo, I would buy a used HX35 and a seal kit over a CX turbo.
            Does he have a build thread on here or anything? I have no resources available to fab anything so it would need to fit out of the box. If it's not too crazy I could find a machine shop I'm sure.

Anything over 200hp would be great by me. 250 would be epic but do you think that is possible with everything else stock? It says there is an internal wastegate at 8 psi, and I have no tune and everything is stock.
            Last edited by e30onBBSs; 07-24-2015, 06:42 PM.
            BMW tech
            Umass Amherst
            05 wrx sti

Comment

Originally posted by e30onBBSs View Post
              What is a wastegate provision? And I've never heard of putting a wastegate into a manifold? I thought they went to atmosphere?
              Many turbos don't have an internal wastegate, so they need tubing/flange(s) for an external wastegate(or wastegates)

You would need to add some sort of tubing and the appropriate flange to mount a wastegate to the first gen CX racing manifolds.

The WG essentially lets excess exhaust gas bypass the turbo to limit how much boost the turbo builds, you can vent that exhaust back into your downpipe, or vent it straight to atmosphere (may or may not be legal depending on the car's intended purpose or your local laws)

Does he have a build thread on here or anything? I have no resources available to fab anything so it would need to fit out of the box. If it's not too crazy I could find a machine shop I'm sure.

Anything over 200hp would be great by me. 250 would be epic but do you think that is possible with everything else stock? It says there is an internal wastegate at 8 psi, and I have no tune and everything is stock.
              I can't remember what site Dan Pinder's build thread is on, but it's also really old. He organized a large group buy of M20 turbo manifolds circa 2006, and they are what the "first generation" CX racing M20 turbo manifolds are based off:
              http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112180 (old thread)

^ you can see the difference between that one (without any added wastegate provision) and the one below, with provisions for a Tial 38mm:

You should really look into a standalone. Even megasquirt 2 is going to do what you need to keep your engine alive with boost. Your tune is such a large part of how your car will run, and how long it will last.

You may be able to get away without ARP head studs at that power level with a decent tune, but you will need larger injectors though. Siemens Deka 60 lb/hr are ~250 new for a set of 6, and they're pretty future proof. There are other options though if you want to go a different route.

Comment

Thanks Northern! I got the book "maximum boost" and am learning lots. I'm learning about air flow and compression ratios and everything. A tune is definitelt needed with boost. How hard is it to hook up something like megasquirt? What do you think would be a good turbo?
                BMW tech
                Umass Amherst
                05 wrx sti

Comment

Thanks Northern! I got the book "maximum boost" and am learning lots. I'm learning about air flow and compression ratios and everything. A tune is definitelt needed with boost. How hard is it to hook up something like megasquirt? What do you think would be a good turbo?
                  A pretty popular option is a used Holset HX35 with a 12cm turbine housing, they came on cummins diesel dodge rams and stuff, so there are loads of them out there. You should be able to find one from a picknpull or the forums for dirt cheap, and there are guides out there to put new seals in them if you want.

Depending on how much you want to spend, you can solder together a MS kit, buy a basic pre-assembled unit, or you could get a pre-assembled PNP unit from someone like whodwho (http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=202653)

With that PNP kit, you would plug it into your stock harness, and just wire up your wideband and whatever extras (wasted spark, electronic boost control solenoid, EGT sensor, etc) to an aux harness. This is what I went for. I don't really trust my hands with tiny things, or my soldering skills.

Comment

Just saw someone post up a newer manifold that they managed to crack. I wouldn't buy from them is what I'm saying...

'89 535i/5 Holset WH1E turbo
                    Follow my m106 megasquirt build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Squirt-content

Comment

So many different opinions on the manifolds...I have a new billet HX35W and am having one hell of a time finding a good manifold to run. Everyone always complains about some part of the manifold. Guess I shouldnt go with CX Racing either....

Feedback Thread

Comment

New Kit?

Has anyone used this newer kit? Any heat issues? It seems kinda tight in there, just wanna get feednack before I decide to start spending my money.

Comment

Working...
                        X