No announcement yet.

How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's more important that your me tierods are the same length on each side and as close to the length of the old ones as possible. Beyond that i don't think it matters where the rack itself sits relative to its housing when installing.

You typically have to reposition the steering wheel anyway but I don't see how "centering" or not can effect alignment.
    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
    Alice the Time Capsule
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
      I think it's more important that your me tierods are the same length on each side and as close to the length of the old ones as possible. Beyond that i don't think it matters where the rack itself sits relative to its housing when installing.

You typically have to reposition the steering wheel anyway but I don't see how "centering" or not can effect alignment.
      By centered, I meant that the tie rods are the same length, so we're saying the same thing. I was wondering if there were markings on the rack somewhere that lined up so you could tell exactly instead of trying to measure the tie rods, which isn't easy to get an exact measurement with the rubber boots and such.

Spoke with a tech friend last night and he says I may have a bad reman'd rack from Rack Doctor.

Hoping that's not the case. Going out to the garage now to do some investigating.

Comment

Does anyone know the dimensions (most importantly the length, ill figure out the id) of the spacers, the single one that needs to be cut and the 2 for the sub frame to the rack?
        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
          By centered, I meant that the tie rods are the same length, so we're saying the same thing. I was wondering if there were markings on the rack somewhere that lined up so you could tell exactly instead of trying to measure the tie rods, which isn't easy to get an exact measurement with the rubber boots and such.

Spoke with a tech friend last night and he says I may have a bad reman'd rack from Rack Doctor.

Hoping that's not the case. Going out to the garage now to do some investigating.
          Agreed that getting the tie rods equal is guess work. I measure from the rack housing to the end of the rack for rough centering purposes and just hope I make it to the alignment shop :)
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
          Alice the Time Capsule
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Turns out there was a wee tiny area of the knuckle that was making contact with the yoke. Dremeled it for a wee bit more clearance.

Then the other day I was driving and realized it was pulling both L&R, depending on where I drove and the crown of the road. That's got to be something caused by the alignment. Taking it back to the shop on Thurs, will be eager to get this straightened out.

LOL, "straightened out"! get it? I crack myself up. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
              Turns out there was a wee tiny area of the knuckle that was making contact with the yoke. Dremeled it for a wee bit more clearance.

Then the other day I was driving and realized it was pulling both L&R, depending on where I drove and the crown of the road. That's got to be something caused by the alignment. Taking it back to the shop on Thurs, will be eager to get this straightened out.

LOL, "straightened out"! get it? I crack myself up. ;D
              What size wheels and tires do you have? Could be tram lining if you have some wide tires.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
              1989 325i S50 swapped
              2007 4Runner Sport V8

Comment

Originally posted by bumada View Post
                What size wheels and tires do you have? Could be tram lining if you have some wide tires.

That's kinda what I'm suspecting. Run 225/15's, but why would anything change-never had this problem before? Toe is set at 0, maybe dialing in just slightly more toe-in will solve it, not sure.

Comment

Do you have to have the spacers I between the frame and the power steering rack? I'm about to do this swap and need to know.
                  88 d21 draggin pavement
                  89 dirty30 kissin earth

Im just here to learn new things and meet new people.

Comment

Looked up the part number for the bushing. Says its (ended)
                    So what can I use in its place??
                    88 d21 draggin pavement
                    89 dirty30 kissin earth

Comment

Originally posted by Bggdnssnguy View Post
                      Do you have to have the spacers I between the frame and the power steering rack? I'm about to do this swap and need to know.
                      Yes. If those spaces are missing the steering rack could unintentionally move and that could potentially lead to bad things happening while driving.

Comment

I looked up the part number with BMW. Says it ended after the part number, so what do I use?

Edit: I stopped being a lazy ass and actually read some of this thread like I should of in first place. Found a couple solutions.
                        Last edited by Bggdnssnguy; 08-29-2016, 04:05 PM.
                        88 d21 draggin pavement
                        89 dirty30 kissin earth

Comment

any info on the banjo fittings from the OPs low pressure lines? I can't find them. My m50 swap didn't have power steering and i'm replaced the leaky m3 rack it came with. I have the high pressure line already. I'm installing a power steering cooler that i had left over so i just need need the barbed fitting with the banjos. Thanks!

Comment

So my e36 rack came with tie rods. Will these work on my e30? Cause one on my e30 now is f*ckd.
                            Thanks
                            88 d21 draggin pavement
                            89 dirty30 kissin earth

Comment

So my e36 rack came with tie rods. Will these work on my e30? Cause one on my e30 now is f*ckd.
                              Thanks
                              You need the e30 ones

1989 325i S50 swapped
                              2007 4Runner Sport V8

Comment

Thanks
                                yes you can use e36 inner and outter tie rods. You can't mix and match inners and outters. The e36s are more robust in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X