No announcement yet.

the Aluminum Monster. a 318 with a special 24v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive been trying to figure out if I should be buying M52 or S50/S52 plugs. Whats your opinion on that?
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      Ive been trying to figure out if I should be buying M52 or S50/S52 plugs. Whats your opinion on that?
      All 3 of those motors use a different Bosch plug.

M52 and S50 looks like they use the same plug except S50 uses 1 step colder.

S52 is a completely different plug all together.

Not sure what the reasoning is or how the S52 plug differs but im guessing that it has to do either a different piston shape or slightly different compression ratio? Maybe a clearance thing for the increased stroke?

Edit: I have a friend (a tuner for Turner Motorsport & BMW Technical Institute Professor) who has data proving that the Genuine BMW Bosch Platinum 4 prong plug out-performs every other aftermarket plug on the market!
      Last edited by berlow94; 12-31-2016, 02:21 PM.
      The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by berlow94 View Post
        I have a friend (a tuner for Turner Motorsport & BMW Technical Institute Professor) who has data proving that the Genuine BMW Bosch Platinum 4 prong plug out-performs every other aftermarket plug on the market!
        In an OEM configuration motor no doubt?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
          In an OEM configuration motor no doubt?

Yes.
          But also in an all-out performance oriented race engine.

The only time I wouldn't use the correct factory plug for a BMW engine is if a turbo has been added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
            +1 on the BKR6Es and the BKR7Es for boost, excellent plugs and cheap

although looking at realoem, turner and ECS you come up with some different results

Realoem for 328i:

BOSCH FGR7DQP

NGK BKR6EQUP

Realoem m3 s52:

BOSCH FGR 8 KQC

Turner for M3:

BOSCH F7LDCR

NGK BKR6EK

ECS for M3:

NGK BKR6EIX

BOSCH FR7LDC+

GENUINE BMW (BOSCH FGR 8 KQC)

All 3 of those motors use a different Bosch plug.

M52 and S50 looks like they use the same plug except S50 uses 1 step colder.

S52 is a completely different plug all together.

Not sure what the reasoning is or how the S52 plug differs but im guessing that it has to do either a different piston shape or slightly different compression ratio? Maybe a clearance thing for the increased stroke?

Edit: I have a friend (a tuner for Turner Motorsport & BMW Technical Institute Professor) who has data proving that the Genuine BMW Bosch Platinum 4 prong plug out-performs every other aftermarket plug on the market!

Took me a minute while I found the post that Charlie posted all the different plugs will work, even the ones I have came up on a different search I did. So obviously there's a lot of choices and I'm curious which one you think would help me to pass the emissions test?

My last test with the new magna flow cat was close but not enough
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

Took me a minute while I found the post that Charlie posted all the different plugs will work, even the ones I have came up on a different search I did. So obviously there's a lot of choices and I'm curious which one you think would help me to pass the emissions test?

My last test with the new magna flow cat was close but not enough

It's not a question of which part number.
              It's where the part is sourced from.

Like I said before, the Bosch L7XXX plug bought at a BMW dealership is not the same plug with the exact same part number bought online.

Comment

It's not a question of which part number.
                It's where the part is sourced from.

Like I said before, the Bosch L7XXX plug bought at a BMW dealership is not the same plug with the exact same part number bought online.

I understand that part, thats simple to understand. The real question is: of the dozen different spark plugs available to buy for a M52 and S52 (and lets include the S50 in here as well), which do you think would be the best potential for helping MY S52 cammed aluM52 pass an emissions test?

The plugs I pulled out are an exact plug recommended for the alu M52, and Im pretty sure my mechanic got them from the dealer when he built the setup back in 2014 but they are one of the few things I havent changed yet to try and get my car smog compliant.

Im having a tough time picking a plug because IM an idiot when it comes to those fine details as to which plug is best setup for bringing the Hydrocarbon number down that gets spit out the exhaust.

thoughts?
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

I understand that part, thats simple to understand. The real question is: of the dozen different spark plugs available to buy for a M52 and S52 (and lets include the S50 in here as well), which do you think would be the best potential for helping MY S52 cammed aluM52 pass an emissions test?

The plugs I pulled out are an exact plug recommended for the alu M52, and Im pretty sure my mechanic got them from the dealer when he built the setup back in 2014 but they are one of the few things I havent changed yet to try and get my car smog compliant.

Im having a tough time picking a plug because IM an idiot when it comes to those fine details as to which plug is best setup for bringing the Hydrocarbon number down that gets spit out the exhaust.

thoughts?

I would guess that because of your S52 internals, that S52 plugs would be your best bet as well.

Comment

I'm guessing the HC stuff has to do with BAR or a regular old smog test? Either way, I have an M50 car that I got through BAR recently with BKR6EK plugs. My e36 has an S52 and it passed smog earlier in the year with the same plugs, and my friends s52 e30 uses these plugs as well (also passed smog this year).

I went to BAR twice with my e30 because the car failed the first visit on the 15mph HC portion despite new cats. My e36 failed smog a few times this year as well even with new cats. I'm sure you know this already, but the cars need to be REALLY hot.

If you're going to BAR, see if the ref will work with you. I asked the guy I went to if he could make sure the car was warm before testing it, so he let me go drive it around for 5 minutes, so once he got the equipment ready, the car was HOT. The car passed with flying colors (it was also a cold morning too), whereas the previous test is was on the margin because the car sat while being inspected. The e36 passed its smog test once I found a smog tech who, once again, let me drive the car around just before the test. He also kept it in 2nd gear to keep the revs up.

Best of luck with your emissions testing.

-Joey

Comment

OEM Plugs

Whatever came stock with that motor.

My 98 328i had those 100k plugs from the factory.

Car failed smog once since my ownership. Mechanic changed the plugs at 60k to make the car pass smog and called it a day.

Frankly, I think any new oem plug would help you. You will feel the difference.

Comment

New plugs alone ill make a difference, but to add, the 24v engines are temperamental about the quality and style. Local customer argued with me recently, well, really just insisted I use the NGK single electrode colder plugs he ordered. Came back to have the proper plugs installed since he now gets random misfires, and it even had some audible ping when armed up from running hard and is down on power.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:
                        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

So I've got the NGK BKR6EIX Iridiums in my 11.5:1 aluminum block single Vanos 3.0 build (270whp240ft/lbs on Dynojet, tuned with Bosch 413 Red DME). Are you saying I might make more power and that it'll run better with Bosch 4 prong plugs? Which ones would you suggest?

Comment

Happy with my BKR6E's while running N/A. Platinum and iridium are inferior conductors to copper, and I don't really care about the longer life platinum/iridium offer. Multiple grounds seems to be a gimmick as well.
                            It's easy enough to swap the plugs out more frequently IMO.

Going to swap to BKR7E for boost in the spring, since people seem to have good luck with the 7 and 8 (or equivalent race part numbers) for boosted applications.
                            Originally posted by priapism
                            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                            Originally posted by shameson
                            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

the Aluminum Monster. a 318 with a special 24v

Awwww yeaaaa, got these in today

My Schroth Harness was supposed to be delivered today but I wasn't home to sign for it. I'm right on track for the February 18th track day at Willow Springs
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

how long did it take for your harness to arrive after you ordered? and where did you order from?
                                '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                                Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                                X