Dropped rear subframe - snagged parking brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropped rear subframe - snagged parking brake

So I just dropped my rear subframe (finally managed to get the seized subframe bushings to release), I thought I had released my parking brake cables, but it looks like they're stuck in the tubes. I undid them from the inside of the car (at the parking brake lever - they don't seem to be under tension there) and got the tube part out of the hub. The cables are still attached to the shoes in the discs, I didn't think these needed to be detached. My expectation was that the metal cable itself would just slide out the tube, but instead it's stuck so I can't move the subframe away from the car at all. What am I doing wrong? The picture below shows the cable and tube at the hub. Thanks!

You need to either disconnect the ferrule from the body tube or disconnect the parking brake cable from inside the brake hub. The inner cable end cannot pass through the ferrule.

The ferrule that connects to the body tube might need a pair of hefty channel locks to shift it, theoretically it will just twist out with a few turns though the reality can be different and they often seize into the tube, PB Blaster is your friend here. Don't use high heat on that body tube, it will just melt the outer plastic cable sleeve and then you'll have a molten mess to clean out of the tube.

If your ferrules are really stuck in there look for my write up on desperate measures for removing these in the tech FAQs.

Your alternative is to remove the brake rotors and disconnect the parking brake from the actuator.

Comment

Sounds like I've been working from the wrong side then. Thanks, I'll try getting the ferrules out from the body tubes out tonight.

Comment

When I pulled my rear subframe I undid the cables from the lever in the car and then pulled them out with the tubes.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
        Transaction feedback
        - jpod999

Comment

Remove your rotors and detach the cable at the ebrake. Takes 2 minutes and doesn't risk anything. That ferrule has the potential to drive you crazy for nothing
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
          Alice the Time Capsule
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Gave the ferrules a shot tonight, both came out without issue! I PB blasted then before trying, then used two vise grips to work them back and forth until they came out. Subframe is now free, thanks.

Comment

Great ! Put plenty of anti-seize on those ferrules before you refit them.

Even better replace the cables, they aren't expensive.

Comment

After trying removal of the cables by disconnecting at the ebake handle-the ferrules were corroded to the tubes, many days of PB blasting and heat- I ended up destroying one of the cables when the ferrule got stuck in the tube- these cables are only $21 each- replace them when you're doing the subframe and you'll never have to worry about them again- but make sure tubes where ferrule goes in are CLEAN and put a glob of anti-Seize in there for the next owner! Swen

Comment

Working...
                X