Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IE (Sorry not UUC) Vs Massive BBK, Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IE (Sorry not UUC) Vs Massive BBK, Help?

I'm a brake upgrade newbie and I'd really like some opinions on these existing setups. I'd prefer personal experience where possible. I run flat faced Arc-8 wheels and have no concerns with either kit clearing them, templates all say they fit.

Massive: 332mm front kit (4 pot caliper) with the 300(?)mm rear kit (a 4 pot caliper)

IE (not UUC, sorry folks) 310mm front and rear kit, 6 pot front 4 pot rear caliper

Is one kit better made than the other? Is more stopping power offered from a 6 pot vs 4 or is it just dependent on pad selection and rotor contact patch?

Maybe noteworthy, I'd like to retain the booster/MC side of my current brake setup; I'm S52 swapped with a 944 booster and OEM MC if possible.

The car makes good power and I'm getting ready to add some boost to make more, but before I do I need brakes. Thanks!
    Last edited by Nick's e30; 01-12-2017, 12:40 PM.
    No antenna? I sell plugs!

Here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...77#post4937877

UUC offers a 310mm with 6 and 4 piston calipers front and rear? Or are you referring to Ireland Engineering's kits?

Full disclosure, I used to put together the Ireland Engineering kits and helped to design a few of the kits. However, I have massive (punny!) respect for Le. There is no direct answer to your question. I have laid out some of the positive and negative factors of both setups below to help you make your own decision.

IE's 310mm kits:
    Pros:
    -Lower Cost.
    -Slimmer 6-piston caliper for better wheel clearance.
    -Braking has been proven to be up to snuff for several track monsters.
    -slimmer and smaller rotors means less additional rotating mass is added.
    Cons
    -Wilwood makes nice calipers, but AP's machining and engineering is a step above.
    -Slimmer and smaller rotors means heat soak sets in faster.
    -Pad selection is limited to Wilwood brake pad compounds

Massive Setup
    Pros
    -great aftermarket pad selection
    -Larger and heavier rotors mean a they are better heat sinc.
    -AP calipers are very well engineered
    -Floating rotors are a nice touch.
    Cons
    -Higher cost
    -heavier and larger rotor means more unsprung mass is added.
    -Wheel fitment is trickier.

Originally posted by Nick's e30 View Post
    or is it just dependent on pad selection and rotor contact patch?
    Yes.
    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
      UUC offers a 310mm with 6 and 4 piston calipers front and rear? Or are you referring to Ireland Engineering's kits?

(Massive Kit)

Pros
      -great aftermarket pad selection
      -Larger and heavier rotors mean a they are better heat sinc.
      -AP calipers are very well engineered
      -Floating rotors are a nice touch.
      Cons
      -Higher cost
      -heavier and larger rotor means more unsprung mass is added.
      -Wheel fitment is trickier.
      It is IE's kits, not UUCs. Apologies.

Lee's kits are listed with Wilwood calipers now. Are/were AP calipers an option at some point?

Comment

It is IE's kits, not UUCs. Apologies.

Lee's kits are listed with Wilwood calipers now. Are/were AP calipers an option at some point?
        They were and still are an option, I believe. Shoot him a PM, he's still active here.
        ADAMS Autosport

Comment

I thought Lee had a few encounters with bad wilwood calipers and decided not to sell them anymore, although you can buy the installer kits from him and the rotors/calipers/pads separately.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I think he had issues with the reps not the product itself
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Yep, supplier problems. I can relate, they didn't always have what I needed when I needed it by. That was a business issue, not a manufacturing fault.
              ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Any other input? Before I drop big bank on brakes?

Comment

Any other input? Before I drop big bank on brakes?
                  Hi Nick.

Like it was said, I stopped supplying calipers and rotors because dealing with Wilwood in California was... difficult. I preferred to concentrate on the part of the kits that I can control. That is everything I produce : hats, radial mounts, brackets, 1/8npt-to-10mmx1 hydraulic adapters, drive-pins, teflon seals.
                  Also, while most of the kit are designed for Wilwood calipers, I also offer front and rear 300x32mm kits for AP Racing CP8350 calipers.

Allowing people to source their own rotors sometimes allows them to get much better price on those if they have "connections".

Massive offers more than a dozen different kits for e30s. And most are floating discs, which improves greatly the performance. And they re still prices lower than IE kits which are fixed (and cheaper to produce). I also use thicker rotors on several kits. Thicker rotors (such as the 1.25" / 32mm thick discs) allow for more air going thru the vanes, and therefore improve the cooling.

Also, I offer front 332x32mm kit, as well as rear kits. Oh, and my specialty is brakes.

AP Racing CP8350 calipers on front floating discs and ear fixed discs

Floating 332x32mm rotors and Wilwood Superlite caliper

No spacers required on APEX 17x8 flat face wheels

Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Working...
                  X