Clean, Polish, Wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by euroshark View Post
    Is that the correct order? Thanks guys... I know it's sort of a n00b question, but my 5's paint is faded beyond repair, and all I ever did to my black Alfa was wax it.
    That's the right order. Most people either use a sealant or a wax and not both, however.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Everyone who is still doing it by band do yourself a favor and pickup a Porter Cable 7424. Even if you dont change detailing products it will increase your look 10x.

I use Klasse products (AIO and SG) they kick some major ass.

Comment

Porter Cable FTW. I spent my teens working as a profeesional detailer and I wish I had one of these back then. The proter cable is a tool every e-30 enthusiast shoulld have. They where on ebay for like $120 but I got one at lowe's for $100. I have the 7336 which is basically the same thing as the 7442 it just has different attachments. This is way more than just a car polisher. It is a dual action sander also. A must have for bodywork and many other e30 projects.

What pads do you guys use with your porter cable's? I haven't bought a pad kit yet? Is the white foam pad that came with it good for any of my detailing? I still need to colorsand my new paint but will be putting on a wax coat till I do this. When I wax it this time is there anywhere you'd recommend using this stock white pad?

Comment

Different pads for different products. I've got an orange, yellow, blue, and white pad. They have different cutting properties and foam densities.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
            Different pads for different products. I've got an orange, yellow, blue, and white pad. They have different cutting properties and foam densities.

I agree and disagree. Pay attention to the instructions from the manufacturer. Some companies (Griot's for example) use all the same density of polish pad for their polishes and just change the agressiveness of the granual in the polish, but there are also companies that use different pads for different grades of polish as you noted. These companies you are buying stuff from know what they are talking about. Don't try to cut corners and be cheap when it comes to pads. They are important.

Also, never try to skimp cost or time by not claying your car. It is very important.
            sigpic

Comment

7442 - $99 + $6.50 shipping

Get your Porter-Cable 7424 Car Buffer / 7424 Polisher at Tools Plus with free shipping and the best prices on Porter-Cable.

It looks like the 7336 is marketed as a sander. Same machine, but comes with sanding disks instead of polishing/buffing pads.

Comment

Originally posted by ivo316 View Post
                If this is the result, I want it, I'm ordering so that when i'm finished painting that'll be the first product i add. :)

Yup, that pic was taken after I applied about 3 layers of Zaino and their Grand Finale spray seal. This shit makes your paint so deep and the vinyl/rubber dressing is the best I've used as well, no greasy looking, just right.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                  7442 - $99 + $6.50 shipping

Get your Porter-Cable 7424 Car Buffer / 7424 Polisher at Tools Plus with free shipping and the best prices on Porter-Cable.

It looks like the 7336 is marketed as a sander. Same machine, but comes with sanding disks instead of polishing/buffing pads.
                  There all the same machines. The different numbers are for different attachments. My 7336 came with the sander pad and the buff pad. Truth is there are better pads out there i.e. griots pad kit. Wondering what you guys think is the best company/pad kit. if you don't have one of these I'd get one, it's an amazing tool and a timesaver.

Comment

yup got a Porter Cable 7424 myself

-> Afficionados join the M-technic I club

Comment

I do a wash with McGuires gold
                      -paint cleaner
                      -polish
                      -wax

this is the basic procedure - usually done by hand. I've been using p21S wax from the local Harley dealer - it's almost as good as Zaino i'm told and it costs about 1/3 as much. I've been very happy with it since I started using it.

My GF's dad just became the west coast dealer for "Adam's" detail products. I watched their DVD tutorial and I think i might try their stuff with my porter cable and see how it goes. If it's really good I'll see if I can get some pricing if others want to try it - their engine dressing looks pretty baller.
                      PNW Crew
                      90 m3
                      06 m5

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                        Pinnacle products. $500 worth. And a Porter 7424. I used to do everything by hand, with Meguiars products, but I could never look back after using the stuff I have now.
                        Pinnacle Souveran, their cleaner (I can't remember what it's called) and the PC 7424. I used to waste two days going through all if the Zaino crap, but it just isn't worth the hassle, IMHO.
                        I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Originally posted by DarkWing6 View Post
                          I agree and disagree. Pay attention to the instructions from the manufacturer. Some companies (Griot's for example) use all the same density of polish pad for their polishes and just change the agressiveness of the granual in the polish, but there are also companies that use different pads for different grades of polish as you noted. These companies you are buying stuff from know what they are talking about. Don't try to cut corners and be cheap when it comes to pads. They are important.

Also, never try to skimp cost or time by not claying your car. It is very important.
                          I agree - good pads & the correct one for each application is one of the reasons for A+ results. Darkwing, Griots has some of the finest products out their. I use a lot of them. I have a misunderstanding on your post about pads. I use 6" orange & 6" red - one for polish - one for wax. They are different density, not the same pad. Were you talking about using the orange pad only? I understand this is to be used with the #1,2,3 & 4 polishes, then the red for wax.

I also use the 3" orbital polisher with the orange, red & white pad (white is metal polishing ie. wheels.) Mine is pneumatic but I understand you also sell them in variable speed electric versions. Once you are hooked on the Porter Cable 6" - getting a 3" orbital will take your gratification & results to the next level - they are really great for door jambs, valances, any place that is hard to get into with a 6".

Jack
                          Last edited by cactusjacks1; 04-29-2007, 09:07 AM.
                          [I

Comment

Why don't you guys just buy the Griot's machine? It is higher speed than the PC, has the top handle instead of a side handle, and a lifetime guarantee. They only run $130. Just a thought.
                            sigpic

Comment

sticky in body and paint forum!!

Comment

are there any cheaper alternatives to the pc 7424 ? I've always done polishing and waxing by hand so no idea why a pc 7424 is better than a $50 special from napa for example..
                                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Working...
                                X