318i 1984 no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318i 1984 no start

Hi everyone new to the forums and somewhat of a noob when it comes to working on cars....

Recently purchased a 84' 318i, when purchased i was told the car wasn't running and that it was the fuel pump. I've managed to get the fuel pump working (bad relay which I'm still waiting for to come in) but even when I do the pin 30 and 87 jump engine still doesn't run. i've tested fuel pressure at the fuel rail, I've checked for spark (replaced cap, rotor, spark plugs and wiring) still nothing. The engine cranks and that's about it. Need some direction on where to go from here!

THANKS!

Here's a few things to try:

-Verify both pumps work - in tank and under car
    -Set timing back to the "base" setting - line the rotor up with the mark on the distributor with #1 at TDC
    -Use a timing light to verify your plugs are firing
    -Check/change the "white" (yours may be yellow by now) coolant sensor
    -Make sure there's fuel in the tank, and verify it's actually getting to the rail by squirting it into a bottle briefly
    -Check that the cold start injector is receiving power when cranking

this isn't comprehensive but will give you a good start

Comment

Thanks! i"ll run down the list this weekend...

Hopefully i'll have good news to report back!

Comment

Agreed, verify the fuel is making it through the injectors. I replaced my injectors with 4-pintle MK2 VW injectors and it was cheaper than having them cleaned/refurbed. Luckily the m10s don't have too many variables to diagnostic!
        balticblau-metallic '84 318i 5spd 3.91 LSD

Comment

Working...
        X