m10 dieing and loss of power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m10 dieing and loss of power

whats up, im new to this forum, running a 85 318i all stock engine.. i am experiencing trouble with my m10 engine, after about 15 miles of running time, my engine tends to want to die out, it starts with a jerk, then it looses power for a second or two while jerking, then eventually dies out..
    ive already replaced both of my fuel pumps, checked fuel pressure, cleaned out my icv, and checked for vacuum leaks, as well as the distrubutor, all have gave me great feedback in return but problem just wont go away. my next step would be replacing the transitorized ignition module or relay i guess it is, it sits on the fire wall next to the fuse box and has two conectors that run to it and apply on it , if anybody can provide any feedback, or have had the same issue, or know anything about what the transitorized ignition exactly does, it would be great help, thank you very much..
    Last edited by RicoSuave; 10-12-2015, 04:01 PM. Reason: forgot to mention something

The ignition module takes the signal from the distributor and uses it to fire the plugs.
    And tell the ecu what the engine is doing.

It could do this, but first, check the main ecu and fuel pump relays... I don't remember
    exactly where they are on an M10, but they will do what you describe, intermittently.

hth

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Is this repeatable? Does it only happen when driving or will it happen if you start the engine and let it idle for a while? Is it only when starting from a cold engine?

The coolant temp switch ties into the vacuum advance relay and also the ECU and closes above 113F. Its the one with two white wires and two brown wires going to it. You could try grounding the white wires and seeing if it duplicates the problem.

Comment

the problem only occurs after several driving time after reaching operating temperature, i have replaced the transitorized ignition control module, but problem still occurs..

Comment

Coolant temperature sensor - not the switch for the gauge, but the sensor for the FI -

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
            Coolant temperature sensor - not the switch for the gauge, but the sensor for the FI -

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numbe...h1Ut9ul6g.aspx

That's a good one to replace if you haven't. The car won't start without it so keep your current one as a spare.

Comment

One time I had my car (M10 318i) die in a drive through window - dead - no start. Previously it had been running perfect as it was my daily driver. I had it towed and finished spraying a car (paint). Car started right up after it had cooled down. The M10 318i will not run without a resistance value from the coolant sensor.

See this:

Last edited by packratbimmer; 11-04-2015, 04:14 PM. Reason: yes

Comment

Working...
              X