Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
    I always LOL when people purchase these POS's for their "superior German technology" Just to have it blow up in their face when it fails...oh and it how often it will!
    This is pretty insulting. I never once bought it for its " superior German technology" nor have I ever said that, so Im not sure who you're quoting. I simply bought this car because it was a great deal and I would be less resistant to modify it. Yes, this is annoying, but I havent had any issues so far besides this. Car has been rock solid all year.

I have to ask, what are you daily driving? If I wanted something with no issues, it would probably also have no personality, like a Honda or a Toyota
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Sorry, did;t mean to upset you. I just hear of these kinds of failures that it makes me wonder why everyone still purchases these cars. The technology is really not designed to last the long haul. But at least it's been reliable up until now for you.

I daily a Focus to put $ towards the e30. That's the only way I can justify ownership.
      Truth be told, it's actually pretty fun when pushed on the curves. It's simplicity and reliability (so far) are what's keeping it on my possession. I was only planning on keeping it a year or so, but it just keeps going, and going and going. Soon I have an SVT suspension upgrade planned in the next few months. The cost of all repairs and maint. makes it silly to trade in considering it's worth very little (despite being an upper level trim model).
      If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

If I remember correctly, the Focus had German designed suspension even back in the early 2000's.

Probably why you like it in the turns.
        No E30 Club
        Originally posted by MrBurgundy
        Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Get some decent all season tires for your daily if your too cheap for dedicated snow tires. I've never had an issue with mine in the snow and I only run all seasons.
          It has Uniroyal Tiger Paws that I got for a decent deal thanks to Roy, but they're only all seasons.

We were going to buy winters last weekend but for whatever reason we didn't. $80-something a piece for walmart china winters seems to be the best deal I can find unless I want to try the super sketchy china stuff for ~$60ea from backwoods jim bob.

I need to not miss their spring tire clearance... Picked up two sets a few years back for like $30/tire and they weren't bad at all.

Originally posted by Swanny View Post
          Beater.
          I'd go for a late 2000's forester, or a BP leggy, but all I hear about them is that they're boring. I could get a BH GT-B for sub 4k, but then there's work involved (BP GT-B will be legal to import in like a year anyway)
          Also, wife hates wagons, hood scoops, spoilers, and anything that looks too aggressive so I'd have to do this on my own.
          Forester would be an easier sell.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Sorry, did;t mean to upset you. I just hear of these kinds of failures that it makes me wonder why everyone still purchases these cars. The technology is really not designed to last the long haul. But at least it's been reliable up until now for you.
            You have to understand the situation I was in.

My friend just crashed my daily driver swapped E30 that still isnt CA legal to drive and at this point was being driven with expired tags. With an uncertainty behind whether or not it was going to be ok, I wasnt sure what to do. I basically spent a whole day test driving new cars, hating each and every one of them ('12 128i, '14 C250, '12 535i, etc). Then bitching at the Benz dealership I was at, he suggested that if I was open to a car with higher miles to try the '08 C350 on their used lot. It was sharply discounted because of its high miles (~120k+) but because a reputable dealership was offering it with a long list of recent maintenance items (brakes, tires, fluids, etc) I took it for a drive. I really liked it, but left because I was supposed to have dinner with my fiance. I discussed it with her and did research. The EIS / ESL issue was a "luck of the draw" thing but everything else was pretty much solid. Take care of the transmission and stay on top of regular maintenance and it was deemed good to go. I came back after dinner and talked them down even more and bought it with no money down.

Overall Im happy because I have a connection to help me with stuff, but even he has told me that this is one of those weird years where most of the issues are sorted out and there isnt too many electronical "safety" items which allow me to enjoy the car. So far, Ive been pretty good about not modifying it, eventually it will get this magnaflow x-pipe to aid in the sound performance dept and someday if she behaves will get a renntech chip. Other than that Im just going to keep driving it.

/longass story

TLDR I am happy with my car still... its no E30, but now the E30 can be a track/ weekend terrorizer
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I can't stop wanting an old S30. Fuck they look good. I would 100% bastardize one of those with an S54 or euro S50 too.

Comment

^ I can empathize.

You'd be surprised at what you can do with the L series motor they came with though. They're great motors.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                  ^ I can empathize.

You'd be surprised at what you can do with the L series motor they came with though. They're great motors.
                  I thought about editing my post to say I'd probably be fine with an L28 that ran nice with a bit of work, but I was too lazy. Good chance it would come with the 20/24/26 so IDK how to feel about trying to find an L28 to build/swap. I'm a fan of fuel injection as well.

I've seen the roadkill rotsun with the chevy V6, which seems lame, and there are plenty of V8 powered s30's around that just feel wrong. Definitely want brutal I6 noises from one of those.

Comment

280Zs are fuel injected ;). Sounds like the best route for you would be a 280Z, not to mention prices on 240Zs have gone way up. The later Zs are heavier, but having had both, it's a better car, unless you're racing where weight is important.

And yeah, the V6 that Roadkill used is lame. Makes tons of power, but lame. V6s generally sound like they're missing a cylinder to me. LS swaps are getting to be overdone, and IMO it's too much power for the chassis. When I first got mine when I was 16 I wanted like 600hp from an RB or LS swap, but I guess I've matured or something because it just seems silly to me now. 300hp from an L28 is plenty.
                    Last edited by rturbo 930; 12-13-2016, 09:54 PM.

Comment

280Zs are fuel injected ;). Sounds like the best route for you would be a 280Z, not to mention prices on 240Zs have gone way up. The later Zs are heavier, but having had both, it's a better car, unless you're racing where weight is important.

And yeah, the V6 that Roadkill used is lame. Makes tons of power, but lame. V6s generally sound like they're missing a cylinder to me. LS swaps are getting to be overdone, and IMO it's too much power for the chassis. When I first got mine when I was 16 I wanted like 600hp from an RB or LS swap, but I guess I've matured or something because it just seems silly to me now. 300hp from an L28 is plenty.
                      Honestly depends on the setup, I have ruled out doing any motor swap on my Miata for the same reason. 500hp in that car would be an unusable death machine.

But then the Audi feels completely capable with 450 at the wheels, and I don't expect 600 at the wheels to be much of a handful really. I think it's caused me to take the AWD system for granted. I've considered selling to buy my brother's e36 m3, but have to remind myself that without AWD the power I want wouldn't be as usable.

So I see part of it I guess. When I was younger I thought having a high HP light car would be awesome, but now I'm older I realize there's a balance to everything.
                      No E30 Club
                      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Mechanical though aren't they? Would be relatively easy to slap a megasquirt on it with some ITB's (I'm sure there's a kit out there) to make some good noises.

Comment

Random photos from the office this morning.

No E30 Club

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny View Post
                            trendy subaru beater pic.
                            try harder next time, no one will notice you if you don't
                            My feedback:
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=186328

http://e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74911

Instagram:
                            @gears_n_glory

@functionmotorsports

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                              Mechanical though aren't they? Would be relatively easy to slap a megasquirt on it with some ITB's (I'm sure there's a kit out there) to make some good noises.
                              Nope, EFI. It's a pretty antiquated system though and if you want to do any kind of tuning you're going to need MS. There is at least one ITB kit available, though they aren't cheap. There's a few manufacturers out there that make throttle bodies that bolt in place of DCOE carbs. Jenvey is one of them. Not cheap though. I'm planning on doing exactly that though - MS and ITBs.

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                              Honestly depends on the setup, I have ruled out doing any motor swap on my Miata for the same reason. 500hp in that car would be an unusable death machine.

But then the Audi feels completely capable with 450 at the wheels, and I don't expect 600 at the wheels to be much of a handful really. I think it's caused me to take the AWD system for granted. I've considered selling to buy my brother's e36 m3, but have to remind myself that without AWD the power I want wouldn't be as usable.

So I see part of it I guess. When I was younger I thought having a high HP light car would be awesome, but now I'm older I realize there's a balance to everything.
                              I hear you. Apart from being AWD, I'm guessing it also has something to do with the wheelbase. But at least for me, part of it is just what you can make use of on public roads. With 600hp, you're breaking the speed limit in no time at all. Fun for a second, but kind of a one trick pony IMO.

Comment

Won't argue that, unless you track it in some way it won't be enjoyed to it's full potential.
                                No E30 Club

Comment

Working...
                                X