FS - Surge tank setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS - Surge tank setup

I have this posted in the FS section as well, but thought it might have higher visibility with its target market here.

I converted my car back to street before selling it, so up for sale is an Integrated Engineering surge tank setup. I ran this in my e30 for one autox season and one track day and it was absolutely glorious. No more cavitation issues on right handers, and you can run the car down to fumes without any ill effects. I ran an autox with the fuel gauge pegged to E and the car ran like a champ, no hiccups at any point.

Included:
    - IE surge tank (http://www.performancebyie.com/ie-su...let-surge-tank)
    - Bosch 044 fuel pump
    - In-tank low pressure pump and sock (for an 80's T-bird)
    - Braided nylon hose, cut to fit e30 application
    - Wiring - I added a relay setup as not to overload any existing circuits

This is a fantastic piece of equipment and one of the best upgrades you can do to your e30 if you're into serious track/autox/drift. Being able to run below 1/2 or 1/4 of a tank can be a huge benefit, or making sure you have sufficient fueling if you're holding high G's on long right handers (and not leaning out).

Asking $Sold.

Mounted

How hoses were run

Last edited by matthugie; 12-02-2014, 01:04 PM. Reason: Sold
    88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
    We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Sold!
    88 325is - S52 powered

Comment

That's a very nice setup. I put together a nice one myself, but very differently. It's interesting seeing how many different ways there are to accomplish this!
      -Brandon
      '86 325es S50
      '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
      '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
      '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
      S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Originally posted by Beej '86 325es View Post
        That's a very nice setup. I put together a nice one myself, but very differently. It's interesting seeing how many different ways there are to accomplish this!
        Thanks man. I absolutely loved it, and am sure the new owner will as well. I'm curious to see your setup, do you have a build thread?
        88 325is - S52 powered

Comment

Yeah, here is my build:
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ighlight=surge
          I think the main difference is that you appear to have dual pick-ups in your car. Do you have a pump on each side of the tank?
          -Brandon
          '86 325es S50
          '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
          '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
          '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

No, just the single low pressure pump on the passenger side. I ran the lines through the passenger side cover for convenience and to use the holes that were already present in rim of the OEM fuel tank. Also, the return line goes to the surge tank first before going back to the stock tank, which is why there appears to be an extra line.
            88 325is - S52 powered

Comment

Ah, I see. The early 325's don't have that access plate on the driver's side, so I had to do all of my interface directly at the in-tank transfer pump on the passenger side.

The last time I tracked the car, I brought it in with the fuel gauge showing completely empty...of course after it sat for a while, I came back up to 1/4 tank. These things work well, and I'm trying to come up with a way to do one on-the-cheap for our Lemons car.

Did you AN fittings on your hoses? I ask because I get a slight fuel smell with the braided hoses, and I'd like to switch it all to an Aeroquip hose or something similar.
              -Brandon
              '86 325es S50
              '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
              '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
              '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

Working...
              X