Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M60B40 into 93 530I wagon

Guys and Gals,
    I have a deal on a non running wagon. I am able to source a 97 M60B40 motor. All I would need is the B40 DME and the maf yes? I was told it is a direct bolt on. My goal is the run upgraded cams, chip and headers. I am looking for a mild cruiser. Hopefully I am not missing anything. Any input would help

Thanks!!

there are a few writeups and plenty of information to be had on the subject if you search. basically this whole thing is a giant snowball of parts if you want to get it done right, and more than just direct bolt on.

couple of points:
    youll want the intake all the way to the air box, as the box is different on the b30.

youll also need a more appropriate trans, as the b30 auto one is not good to use and will fail shortly. you should upgrade to a 5 speed or 6 speed if you are not already planning on this. even the 5 speed from 530i cars will work fine. either way youll need the appropriate driveshaft, as there is a different one for manual/auto and also different ones for 5 speed/6 speed. then if you change to 6 speed stuff, you'll need a different diff with swapped output flanges or swap input flange to match. some people say you should also get the 540i axles for the swap, but you'll be fine without them.

Comment

TL: DR : buy a 540i/6 parts car.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by dpgc44 View Post
        Guys and Gals,
        I have a deal on a non running wagon. I am able to source a 97 M60B40 motor. All I would need is the B40 DME and the maf yes? I was told it is a direct bolt on. My goal is the run upgraded cams, chip and headers. I am looking for a mild cruiser. Hopefully I am not missing anything. Any input would help

Thanks!!
        get donor car; e34 540i 6mt is ideal.

1997 is not m60b40, its M62b44 - its even better ; 400cc larger (and smarter obd2)

you could convert it to obd1 with M60b40 heads and cams; the cams are more aggressive; however it would need tuning as the 4000cc mapping is not ideal for 4400cc.

a local friend did a similar swap with my old e39 540i sport driveline(e34 530iT+m62b44 6mt complete longmotor converted to obd1+miller war)

If I was to do it myself I'd be keeping the m62b44 obd2 or installing a complete non-frankenstein m60b40 from a 1995 E38 740i; this seems to be the most common and last model year of the M60b40 stateside.

Headers for the e34 V8 may be hard to come by; you could try supersprint.
        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by dpgc44 View Post
          Guys and Gals,

Thanks!!
          Yes and no. I did an m60b40 into a 94 530i wagon and auto to manual conversion.

I stronly suggest getting a 540i parts car. I dont know how many times i went back to the parts car for some small but critical part

For one, m60b30 auto tranny does not require coolant from the engine. M60B40 does. You'll find a coolant manifold on the back of the b40 block that you wont need if you're going to a manual. Its got an inlet and an outlet and i just connected them with a piece of hose.

the B30's and B40's share the exhaust manifolds so that can stay, and depending on your model i deleted the secondary throttle body for the traction control as the 540i didnt have it.

Yes, i just plugged the 540i MAF in and even with it being an auto it did fine with the 5spd.

Get the 6spd. 5spd with auto rear end revs really high on the highway....you'll want that 6th gear to bring down a bit.

here's a video

stock cats into a y pipe, 3" in 3" out magnaflow part no. 14219 to an oval tip
          Last edited by Red_liner740; 04-19-2015, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X