E36 Radiator in an E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E36 Radiator in an E30

Is it possible to fit an E36 radiator into a e30? if so then is it alot to modify? will it fit snug without any hassle. The radiator im talking about is the one with the bottle attached to the side....

It will fit without any problem.

SINdelle:E36 M3 5-Lug | 17x8 & 17x9 BBS RS | S52/ZF | 2.93LSD/3.5HFM/24lb Injectors/C&S Chip[B]SOLD[B]

Comment

I've known you can do it, but what are the benefits/drawbacks?

Comment

Aren't any. If anything, the coolant ends are slightly larger? .5 - 1 mm? Not much of a difference other than the coolant reservoir on radiator itself. They both seem equal but its more of personal preference with the reservoir.

SINdelle:E36 M3 5-Lug | 17x8 & 17x9 BBS RS | S52/ZF | 2.93LSD/3.5HFM/24lb Injectors/C&S Chip[B]SOLD[B]

Comment

Originally posted by jahnaboi View Post
          Aren't any. If anything, the coolant ends are slightly larger? .5 - 1 mm? Not much of a difference other than the coolant reservoir on radiator itself. They both seem equal but its more of personal preference with the reservoir.

thanks, do u have it on your 332? do u have any pics, i have the old radiator, the one with the reservoir on the right hand side and my radiator screws into the chassis unlike the later models that have a bracket to hold it. What do i need to fit the e36 radiator to fir into mine....
          what about the bottom mounts on the body, do they match up with the e36 ones?

i also prefer having the reservoir on the radiator itself

Comment

I prefer having the overflow bottle not attached to the radiator....makes bleeding the system a whole lot easier with a remote reservior that is placed higher than the radiator.

Comment

If you have an early E30, you'll need to fab up some simple mounts like I did on the bottom of the radiator. The later E30's have provisions for lower side mounts like the E36.

-Brandon
              '86 325es S50
              '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
              '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
              '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
              S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Originally posted by Beej '86 325es View Post
                If you have an early E30, you'll need to fab up some simple mounts like I did on the bottom of the radiator. The later E30's have provisions for lower side mounts like the E36.

will these work?

Comment

Those might work alright. You may find they end up being a little short, but once you get the radiator in place you'll be able to tell quickly.
                  -Brandon
                  '86 325es S50
                  '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                  '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                  '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                  S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Yea, seems rather short, but just check. Add couple of washers as needed.

Comment

And what about the top mounts? what bracket do i use?

this maybe a stupid question....... i know the e36 328/325 etc. came with the reservoir attached to the radiator but the ///m3 came with a seperate reservoir, is there any reason for this? maybe too much pressure ? just wondering...

Comment

No reason at all. Just the convenience of one being a reservoir and one being on the radiator itself. Top mounts you should be able to use a late model top mount or the e30 top mount.

Comment

Originally posted by jahnaboi View Post
                          No reason at all. Just the convenience of one being a reservoir and one being on the radiator itself. Top mounts you should be able to use a late model top mount or the e30 top mount.

thanks, do you have this radiator in your car? if so please post some pics

Comment

So I know this thread is ancient, but does anyone have any pictures of how they got the late model or e36 radiator into the early model e30? All the pictures above have a bad link.

Comment

I have, just welded them in my '84 316:

The front is meant to be removable, but normally they are welded to that as well
                              I only have 1 picture of the installed radiator.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X