SR20DET E30 for drifting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No no, SR20's are fine motors.

You just have alot of reading to do if you're going to do this yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
      No no, SR20's are fine motors.

You just have alot of reading to do if you're going to do this yourself.
      Yep, but I think in the time span of 2 years, it is doable, though I should be done within 6 months.

Comment

Something about this doesn't add up, man. I don't get why people use forums to 'dream'. Dreaming is ok, as long as you aren't wasting other people's time. I am not trying to be a dick, it's just that you are asking questions that someone with your advertised experience would not need answered for him...
        Originally posted by chileelky
        amaze about the enthusiasm e30 generate

Comment

Originally posted by Iain View Post
          Have fun breaking rocker arms and having a car that sounds like it's trying to hit the brown note all the time.

SR20 = crap motor. They're incredibly common out here and hated by everyone except povo drug-addled fanboiz
          wow state your source. the SR20 is one of the more reliable japanese engines out there. I've ran mine in countless track events, street driven, and many drift events with no issue. Makes ~300whp on stock turbo, stock internals.

The engines can be had for cheap, ~$1400 for engine/tranny/ecu. With small, simple bolt ons 350-375whp can be had. With custom turbo setups 400+ is not out of the question, all while maintaining excellent reliablity. The bottom end of the engine is good for 450whp, a full build is recommended for abuse at or above that level though.

There are several options for engine management, AEM EMS is your best best IMHO (since its what i use). For tracking the car it has the benifit of controlling boost, as well as timing, fuel, etc and has data logging, anti lag, yadda yadda yadda.

While it was an engine never available on US shores, parts are easy to find (both OEM and otherwise).

If youre interested in a good parts setup, shoot me a PM. I've set up a few of these now and know the good ways to go, and what things to avoid wasting your money on.

***this is NOT a slam to BMW engines, the S52/50 is a GREAT engine, and going that way would not be a bad choice by any means. I simply would like to put an experienced opinion in this thread about the SR20 engine and its capabilities.
          Now look, I am not evil. My loan officer said so.

Comment

Originally posted by iDriftYou View Post
            Yea only problem is that I'm not familiar with the M20 motor, only motor I actually do work on is the S54,2JZ,SR20, and the M54, though, it

wait, did nobody else get this??? he is familiar with the S54, but is scared to work on a M20???

is E30tech down or somethin?
            My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

SR20DET are an awesome engine, Id have that over an m20turbo IF it was for drifting. Big easy reliable power

M20 Turbos sound so much better though
              sigpic340hp V8 e30 FINISHED!!!!!
              Quick vid for ya ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp5Eaf8xOgM
              NEW One on the track :)
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-AX5SzSLnk
              Cleaning up some 911s and Jap turbos
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad79wsLdle4

Comment

noobs been there done that... i'll get some more pics tongihtttt
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by thearkitekt View Post
                  wow state your source. the SR20 is one of the more reliable japanese engines out there. I've ran mine in countless track events, street driven, and many drift events with no issue. Makes ~300whp on stock turbo, stock internals.
                  7 years working with and around them, including helping build a 2.2L +400rwhp SR20 to go into a pro drift car (the chrome Auto Salon Industrie S15 that went to Irwindale in 2007/2008 with the other Aussies). I'm not a mechanic, but I was deeply involved in the high-performance aftermarket industry out here, along with Japan, Europe and parts of the USA/Canada.

While some parts of the motors are strong, the 15+ years worth of R&D that has been done on them out here shows precisely where the weaknesses are, and when you compare the SR20 to other Jap turbo 4cylinder engines they don't shine quite so bright. Ok, so they're not as bad as a stock eta or M10, but there don't deserve the fawning circle-jerking that so many over-eager fanboys give them.

My source is also common belief out here. Maybe for you guys in the USA they hold some kind of attraction (I know they're popular in Japan) but out here they're more often replaced with better designed, more efficient and more reliable motors (like single-turbo 1JZs).

Not bagging your car, but 300rwhp is considered pretty much stock out here, with most guys running at least another 50hp at the wheels. When they are fitted with a good intercooler, slightly larger injectors, a good ECU and good exhaust/intake then they'll be pretty reliable and I can see the attraction at this point. If you want to take things further than that, I'd forget the SR and get something decent from the outset - particularly if there are other good options like a turbo M20 or 1JZ.
                  Pork Hunt Motorsport

eBay is like the summit racing catalog for today's special Olympics crowd

Comment

holy damn, Sr20 is kinda not liked here, anyways, now I'm on the hunt for an E30 325, gona take the entire motor apart and clean the living shiit outa it. Resurface the head, and thicker Head gasket should let me make about 300~350 whp by installing a turbo kit. Thanks for all the help guys.

Comment

The engines can be had for cheap, ~$1400 for engine/tranny/ecu. With small, simple bolt ons 350-375whp can be had. With custom turbo setups 400+ is not out of the question, all while maintaining excellent reliablity. The bottom end of the engine is good for 450whp, a full build is recommended for abuse at or above that level though.
                      M30s can be had for around $100, certainly less than $500 and will make those numbers without the need to ever even think about the bottom end. I don't think you are going to do much convincing here, sir.
                      '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Sr20 is not bad when in a Silvia or 240sx! honestly, why put a Japanese motor in a German car? just buy the Japanese car. if it's a BMW, put a BMW engine in it. If it's a Nissan, put a Nissan motor in it. Does anyone else find this stuff annoying?
                        1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                        You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by euroshark View Post
                            M30s can be had for around $100, certainly less than $500 and will make those numbers without the need to ever even think about the bottom end. I don't think you are going to do much convincing here, sir.
                            Don't forget the extra $3800 for a turbo kit :giggle:. Seriously though why argue? Power can be made with all of the engines mentioned in this thread. Just a matter of how you want to go about it and how good of a fabricator you are (or how much money you have). Some people just have to "do something different" and I say more power to them. I'll stick with my m30 though

For 7-8000$ you can do a hell of a lot better then a SR20. You can do a S52 which will make more power then a modded SR20 and have reliability.
                            Can you prove this? Because most s52's that I've seen put down between 200-240 to the wheels depending on mods.
                            $500, Diamantschwarz, and a Dream

Comment

Originally posted by Iain View Post

Not bagging your car, but 300rwhp is considered pretty much stock out here, with most guys running at least another 50hp at the wheels. When they are fitted with a good intercooler, slightly larger injectors, a good ECU and good exhaust/intake then they'll be pretty reliable and I can see the attraction at this point. If you want to take things further than that, I'd forget the SR and get something decent from the outset - particularly if there are other good options like a turbo M20 or 1JZ.
                              haha, no offense taken. My car holds up to many cars on the track nicely so no additional power is needed. I should also clarify that 300whp was made on a mustang dyno, as all dynos read differently.

Now I will say that I love my SR20, but its in a nissan. If i had a BMW i would stick to the BMW family, they have plenty of engines available that are excellent in the E30. Personally I would run a high compression M30, they have great torque/power curves and are inexpensive and available.

To each his own, best advice i can give is to choose an engine that you are comfortable with and know how to find/install parts for.

Best of luck, keep us updated on the project...
                              Now look, I am not evil. My loan officer said so.

Comment

I've been to a BMW meet las thursday out in Pembroke pines Florida. A jamacian guy came out with a stunning oem+ red E30 coupe on e36 m3 wheels. When he popped the hood, everyone gaspped for air when their eyes beheld an Red Top SR20! THe swap was so perfect it looked like it came from the factory in there! I ain't hatin at all bro!

Comment

Working...
                                X