The Evolution of a 3.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Evolution of a 3.5

This was a sub-project, among the engine swap project.
    In Lamest terms

The 318i on my car's badge, stands for:
    3= Three Series
    18= 1.8 Liter engine (size)
    i= Fuel Injected

The engine going into my car is a 3.5 liter engine, thusly, the badge on the back should change to say 335i. However, my car is being modeled after a rare, South African e30 called the 333i, which had a 3.3 liter engine. On the side of the engine block of BMW's, the size of the engine is printed. As a fun, custom project, partstig taught me how to do, I changed the print on my engine, which used to say 3.5, to say 3.3. This is in honor and replica of the 333i. Anybody looking at the engine bay will see the 3.3 on the block and think it's an M30B32, but really, it's an M30b34. It's a kind of like unexpected power (the authenticity of the 333i engine, but with a bigger size). I'll let the pictures do the talking. (And yes, I know in the final two pictures I should clean off the paint from the oil filter surface, I have done this after I have taken the pictures).
    The pictures start from the beginning and show each step toward creating the 3.3, an evolution if you want to call it that.

Start:

End:

Just thought I might share with you guys since this is the M30 section.

HA! Very clever. I like.
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

wow. cool.
      http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

thats cute.

i have a 318 badge on my 325i which has a 3.0 from an s50 so i am all off too

Comment

You want authenticity of the m30b32 but you're swapping in a b34, which obviously is not a b32.

I see what you're trying to do, but the overall concept of the build doesn't sit right with me.

Comment

Haha I like it

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
            RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Meth's a hellof a drug. :)

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                Meth's a hellof a drug. :)

haha

OP you have OCD
                84 318I Delphin RIP
                87 325IS delphin 24v Sold
                89 325 Alpineweiss

Comment

I'm going to put a 3.5 on my b32.
                  Originally posted by LJ851
                  I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

why not find the right motor, it just takes time. I found my motor, m90b35 on craigs list while just cruising one motoring.

their is a 633i for sale in southern nh
                    Anything can be done

Comment

Originally posted by BimmerScreamer View Post
                      why not find the right motor, it just takes time. I found my motor, m90b35 on craigs list while just cruising one motoring.

their is a 633i for sale in southern nh
                      If I found the "right" motor, I'd have less power. And yes, I could have bought a b35, but the b34 i'm working with has been rebuilt 4 years ago and was definitely the right choice for what I'm doing.

Originally posted by Matt-B
                      looks nice, block powder coated?
                      Nope, Rustoleum

I'm going to put a 3.5 on my b32.
                      Why not put an M badge on your eta while you're at it?

Comment

Isn't it the same as what you just did? :?

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                          Isn't it the same as what you just did? :?
                          It's the exact opposite.

Comment

Andrew, honestly I doubt it was rebuilt considering how bad those internals in it looked (example. the guides/rails showed lots more wear than say my m30 when I got it with 160k on it)? Unless of course you found paperwork that actually shows the bottom end was rebuilt. Glad you decided to freshen up the engine before installing it.

I am keeping a 318i badge on mine ;)
                            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                              Andrew, honestly I doubt it was rebuilt considering how bad those internals in it looked (example. the guides/rails showed lots more wear than say my m30 when I got it with 160k on it)? Unless of course you found paperwork that actually shows the bottom end was rebuilt. Glad you decided to freshen up the engine before installing it.

I am keeping a 318i badge on mine ;)
                              The head was rebuilt, the block was replaced (by a new BMW block), and most likely, when it was rebuilt, the guy looked at the guide rails and thought they looked good enough not to replace or something along those lines.

The head has a non-factory stamping "RPS" and inside you can clearly see it was rebuilt, the block's VIN doesn't match the car's VIN, and the carfax shows in 2004 there was an engine fire and major work under the hood was done.

But that's not what this thread's about :)

Comment

Working...
                              X