Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking into getting a high mileage E28 535is. Am I crazy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking into getting a high mileage E28 535is. Am I crazy?

The car:
    '88 535is
    Zinno on black
    Interior is very clean (sport seats)
    Couple of the seat adjustments don't work
    Window switches need a cleaning of the contacts (finicky)
    Everything else works
    Headliner has some sun damage on the c pillar

Mechanics
    Had head work in 1994 (40k ago)
    Valves adjusted 15k ago (due for an adjustment now I think)
    Drives good
    Starts great from cold
    Coolant light is on without it being low on coolant (sensor?)
    Does not over heat
    A/C seems to work but it was only about 65 degrees today
    Brakes need service soon (pads and rotors)

Body
    Body is almost flawless
    Prob only 2 dings
    Paint is very very nice
    Little fade/oxidation on the wing the size of a quarter
    The rock guard on the front valence is almost completely off (exposing the paint underneath; would look better if all the rock gaurd was removed)

Carfarx shows no accidents and is free of any mileage rollbacks, etc.

Looks almost identical to this in condition besides mileage
    Learn more about BaT Exclusive: 2-Owner California 1987 BMW 535is on Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online.

So my questions are:

How much would you pay for an example like this?
    Does the high mileage steer you away? (240k m30b34 with 9 year old head work)
    Reliability of an M30?
    Cost of ownership? (Are parts prices similar to e30?)
    Am I crazy for not having it in my driveway right now?
    Last edited by e30nub; 04-01-2013, 11:59 PM. Reason: Added more info
    -Pierre
    1987 535is
    1988 325is

damn my co worker had a mint one of these, he took care of it. said he was gonna sell it for 1k if it didnt pass star smog. idk what happened to it because he got transferred to another job location.

Comment

Wow that Bring a Trailer car was pretty damn expensive at $10k with 170k miles on it.

If your considering paying anywhere near that bring a trailer price, just be patient and hunt something down like this:

It was a much better deal at $8k with cardinal interior, billies, H&Rs and Euro Treatment + It looks to be a solid resto with lower miles.

Too answer your questions
      1. $4000 is what I'd guess. (Honestly i rather find one clapped and build it. Mine was $500 with shot pads and rotors).
      2. High mileage doesn't scare me away because i walk into almost every car considering a swap. An M60 e28 6 speed would be the coolest car in the world to me. If i were keeping it stock then a 270k mile car would have to be cheap for me to consider it. That's just me tho.
      3. M30's are wonderful motors so long as their not overheating
      4. My e28 cost of owership was less than my e30. Only routine stuff, never an issue.
      5. That depends on what their asking for it.
      I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
      Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

M30's are bulletproof. When I opened this thread Titled high mileage e28 I was expecting over 400k, that's nothing.
        I saw an e28 for sale with well over 600k. Honestly it all comes down to maintence. Any wear part the past owner didn't replace YOU will be replacing.

A zinno e38 535is? Yea go buy it that's an awesome combo. Definitely get some euro bumpers and headlights for it.

Comment

Do it, m30s are awesome. I like my e24 more than my e30 a bit more everyday

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I figured cost of ownership would be similar. I just read some weird posts that threw me off on bimmerforums. Something about them being super expensive to maintain cause they'll need lots of work, but I honestly expect it to be something similar to an e30. Maintenance is always key in any car
            -Pierre
            1987 535is
            1988 325is

Comment

i just bought an e28 535i with 245k. Would I do it again? No. But only because i miss the gas mileage of my m42 car. I broke my foot and cant drive it though. I might sell it if youre interested.

Comment

Originally posted by MF DOOM View Post
                i just bought an e28 535i with 245k. Would I do it again? No. But only because i miss the gas mileage of my m42 car. I broke my foot and cant drive it though. I might sell it if youre interested.
                Where you located???
                I need a beater.

Comment

That is low mileage on the M30. What you will have problems with is the front end with replacing the tie rods, control arms, etc. The mpg on the m30 does suck. I have a e34 535i and I get 23 freeway and 17 around town. I use to have e28 528e until some sh!t head ford truck rear ended it. I really enjoyed driving the e28. If it has an lsd great, if not I would get one.

Andy

Comment

So I bought it. It was just too damn clean to pass up. Has LOTS AND LOTS of receipts. Popped the VC this morning to do a valve adjustment and it was glorious. Practically everything is new. Still needs a proper tune up, but that will come this weekend.

-Pierre
                    1987 535is
                    1988 325is

Comment

Fark that looks tidy. Nice buy. Spend some money refreshing the suspension and you'll erase the miles.

Comment

Nice example!
                        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Wow, what a pick up!! Looks great :)
                          IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

wow, Thats nice too nice for me for my beater status lol

Comment

I had one 1988 535is with 420k miles no engine problems, I parted it out to severe rust and major drivetrain work needing to be done, engine was solid, the car being posted looks good and well taken care of for sure As long as the person didnt pay top dollar, I am sure he got a good deal.
                              XXX-Lost-Soul-XXX, you need a beater you posted? I have one that many dont have, I have my very rare 1990 735i factory shadowline 5speed E32 for sale or trade. if you are intrested you can email me at bmwextremeparts@yahoo.com The RHD 730i is not for sale but I might have others you might be intrested in? The cars would have to be picked up for long drive or shipped?
                              SHAWN

Comment

Working...
                              X