M60 Swap: Purge Valve Connector ID??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M60 Swap: Purge Valve Connector ID??

Can anyone help me ID this connector? I think this harness is from a 1994 e32 740i auto. This connector is right by the dme.

I have been looking all over the wedophones diagrams and can't find it.

I think it is the Emissions/ carbon can valve control connector? All other connectors are ID'd.

Frank's m60 swap guide says you need to change the connector for an e30.

My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

That's the e-box fan connector. The sealed compartment that the DME, trans computer, relays, etc... were stored in under the hood had a small fan that blew air into it (or out of it, not sure).

The charcoal canister is a bit more tricky, as the plug for the purge valve is not on the engine harness. I *think* the signal is generated at pin 36 of the DME, which is a white/brown wire, which goes to the white 18 pin connector (x10104) by the DME connecter in the e-box. From there, it goes into the chassis wiring, over to the 2 pin connector that plugs into the purge valve (x890). This signal from the DME would be a ground. I've yet to prove any of this though.

If that is the case, you can tap into that wire before that white 18-pin connector (or get the chassis side of the connector so you aren't hacking up the engine harness), and run that to the purge valve. The other pin on the purge valve is switched 12v, bundled in the with ASC crap, but you can get switched 12v from anywhere.
    Last edited by JGood; 09-30-2014, 09:28 AM.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
      That's the e-box fan connector. The sealed compartment that the DME, trans computer, relays, etc... were stored in under the hood had a small fan that blew air into it (or out of it, not sure).

The charcoal canister is a bit more tricky, as the plug for the purge valve is not on the engine harness. I *think* the signal is generated at pin 38 of the DME, which is a white/brown wire, which goes to the white 18 pin connector (x10104) by the DME connecter in the e-box. From there, it goes into the chassis wiring, over to the 2 pin connector that plugs into the purge valve (x890). This signal from the DME would be a ground. I've yet to prove any of this though.

If that is the case, you can tap into that wire before that white 18-pin connector (or get the chassis side of the connector so you aren't hacking up the engine harness), and run that to the purge valve. The other pin on the purge valve is switched 12v, bundled in the with ASC crap, but you can get switched 12v from anywhere.
      You are correct on the connector in the pic. Finally located it on the schematics.
      We went back to diagrams for the purge valve. It’s source is pin 36 blk/brn on DME and 12v from eng relay wire that ends up at X20 pin 3. ( this is pretty much as shown in Frank M’s write up)
      I cut/hacked the wire from pin 36 which is connected to the Auto trans harness/DME when I chopped out the AT wiring. So we weren’t getting continuity to the DME pin.
      Need to install 2 pin connector to match E30 purge valve.
      Plan is to tap X20 #3 wire for 12v (usually show as ABS /ASC 12v on pin outs), ground thru DME pin 36.
      This is all shown on schematics. Just took a while to sort through it. ‘
      Chassis is 1986, M60 1994. This is a Calif car that I hope to be BAR legal (remains to be seen) Already added chk eng lt, later cluster. Rewired c104 so VSS now runs through X20, and added pin in C101 for CEL to X20
      Thanks for the input !!
      My CA legal M60 swap

Comment

You're right, I fat fingered 38, meant 36. Changed it in my post to avoid future confusion. So DME pin 36 to the purge valve, and switched 12v to the purge valve, gives you a functioning purge valve. Easy enough!

I wonder if there are any ill effects to running without a purge valve/charcoal canister? Since there's no feedback to the DME to tell it if it's open or close, or even connected for that matter, it has no way of knowing. But AFAIK, the DME does do something with fueling when it tells the purge valve to open, in order to compensate for the extra gases coming into the intake.

I found the following description from this website:

Tank ventilation on models with catalytic converters
        ---------------------------------------------------------

The ventilation line of the fuel tank is connected to an activated carbon filter (carbon canister), in which the fuel vapours produced in the tank are collected. The activated carbon filter is connected by way of a further line to the air collector. A tank ventilation valve is integrated in this line. If the tank ventilation valve is opened the vacuum in the air collector draws in fresh air via the activated carbon filter. The fresh air flushes out the fuel collected in the filter and feeds it to the engine for combustion. Since the additionally supplied mixture influences combustion to a considerable extent, the tank ventilation valve is made up of a non-return valve and an electrically operated valve. When no power is applied, the non-return valve keeps the tank ventilation valve closed. The non-return valve prevents fuel collecting in the air collector when the vehicle is parked. The non-return valve opens as the vacuum in the air collector increases.
        Electrical activation (pulse cycle) is dependent on engine speed and load. A ventilation cycle (purge phase) begins as soon as the lambda control is active. After a cycle has been completed, the valve closes for approx. 1 minute (rest phase).
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
          You're right, I fat fingered 38, meant 36. Changed it in my post to avoid future confusion. So DME pin 36 to the purge valve, and switched 12v to the purge valve, gives you a functioning purge valve. Easy enough!

I wonder if there are any ill effects to running without a purge valve/charcoal canister? Since there's no feedback to the DME to tell it if it's open or close, or even connected for that matter, it has no way of knowing. But AFAIK, the DME does do something with fueling when it tells the purge valve to open, in order to compensate for the extra gases coming into the intake.

I found the following description from this website:

http://www.bmw7resource.co.uk/forum/...ic=6812.0;wap2
          Thanks for the info
          I do not know the pros/cons of running with or without the carbon can & valve. Other than that is how BMW deisgned the system for this car.
          I do know that these components must be present and 'working' if a car is to pass a Calif BAR inspection. I believe they are considered part of the emissions system/vapor recovery. I think if the purge valve is not connected the CEL light will be on. I suppose there may be a work around, but it's a pretty strait forward install so why not.. this is a street car ...
          My CA legal M60 swap

Comment

So, Here's another question, I'm Not in Cali, and my car is old enough that I don't have to worry about emissions. Needless to say, I'm not running the purge valve, or the charcoal canister. What is the DMU looking for, to confirm that the purge valve is present and working? I mean, is it looking for a resistance rating, or open Vs Ground? I'm just looking to get rid of the check engine light, and 1263 is the last code I am getting.
            Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Working...
            X