• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road Race Technologies - -2.0 Fixed Camber Plates

Product: -2.0 fixed camber plates
    Price @ Review: $150
    Company: Road Race Technologies
    URL: http://www.roadracetech.com/

I installed these this week, spent a few days driving on them, the response rate for turn in has increased, as one would expect when dialing in another 2 degrees of negative camber. No on track usage yet, due to it being January in Ohio.

Pros: More camber, pretty self explanatory. Camber is good if you want to make the inherently piggish e30 turn in quicker. Nothing to adjust or set seeing as they are fixed plates. Easy install consisting of dropping the struts, hammering out the old studs, and securing the new plates in. Cheapest 2 degree plates that I have found on the market.

Cons: More camber, on a street car, this will definetly increase tire wear. If the car sees a lot of street usage, one would do better to consider the -1.0 degree plates, or spend the additional money for adjustable units. These are fixed, so if you were looking to make fine adjustments, you're obviously out of luck. However, most people I know that run adjustable plates crank them to the maximum amount of negative camber possible, so this is almost a non-issue. These plates are also about a 1/4 inch high, so front ride height is raised accordingly. Perhaps an issue if you are attempting the "slammed to the floor" look.

Overall, does exactly what I expected, good product.

-Charlie
    Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
    '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
    FYYFF

just a question, why wouldnt you get the RTRS camber plates?
    They are adjustable, and will work with the factory strut, and cost less to boot.

NASA MidSouth TT Director / GTS2 #018
    Mods: Coastal PS Fluid, 10w40 Oil
    Future Mods: Bosch Micro-Edge Wiper Blades, Painter's Tape, Spark Plugs, Freezer for Nutty Buddys, Adam Nitti CD's

Comment

The car is being built to be legal for both Spec E30 and BMWCCA K-stock, which doesn't allow adjustable plates.

That being said, I have talked to a number of people that have run the RTRS plates, and are less than impressed with them. I figure if I was going to go all out, I'd spend 3-400 bucks and get a fully adjustable strut top replacement mount. As for cost, the cheapest I've found the RTRS plates has been 150, most places list them at 180.

-Charlie
      '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
      FYYFF

Comment

touche.
        Spec E30 allows the adj. camber plates, but KS does not. Time to move to prepared :)
        You can get RTRS plates for 120, but thats neither here nor there.
        Also, You have a PM.

Future Mods: Bosch Micro-Edge Wiper Blades, Painter's Tape, Spark Plugs, Freezer for Nutty Buddys, Adam Nitti CD's

Comment

Originally posted by Skafrog
          touche.
          Spec E30 allows the adj. camber plates, but KS does not. Time to move to prepared :)
          You can get RTRS plates for 120, but thats neither here nor there.
          Also, You have a PM.
          A spec e30 wouldn't be competitive in KP, however, keep the interior in it, and it could work fine in KS. That's my reasoning. There's at least one or two other guys that are looking at going this route.

-Charlie
          FYYFF

Comment

yea, it was sort of a joke. That's one of the many reasons why Spec E30 needs to do something about their rules. Not quite competitve enough in Prepared, and not legal in Stock if you build a full-tilt spec e30.

Comment

yea, it was sort of a joke. That's one of the many reasons why Spec E30 needs to do something about their rules. Not quite competitve enough in Prepared, and not legal in Stock if you build a full-tilt spec e30.
              Well, in their defense, they're not running with the BMWCCA, they run with NASA. BMWCCA was approached 2 years ago with allowing the cars to run as their own class under their sanction, and they refused.

-Charlie
              FYYFF

Comment

yea, those were the reasons that CCA denied them.
                Just recently, as I am sure you aware, NABR and BMWCCA joined forces, but not Spec E30 :)
                I was starting to Build up my car for Spec E30, but a few rules made me stop.
                Now EM or KP is looking good. With KS, you have to run against Robert Patton, and thats gonna be a tough one to crack.
                Wish you the best of luck, maybe I'll see you out on track.

[edit] Of course, you *could* always run in KP, no one has really pushed the envelope yet ;)
                It seems Carter was leading KP in the last race, and he now has an SO car, right?
                [/edit]

Comment

yea, those were the reasons that CCA denied them.
                  Just recently, as I am sure you aware, NABR and BMWCCA joined forces, but not Spec E30 :)
                  I was starting to Build up my car for Spec E30, but a few rules made me stop.
                  Now EM or KP is looking good. With KS, you have to run against Robert Patton, and thats gonna be a tough one to crack.
                  Wish you the best of luck, maybe I'll see you out on track.

[edit] Of course, you *could* always run in KP, no one has really pushed the envelope yet ;)
                  It seems Carter was leading KP in the last race, and he now has an SO car, right?
                  [/edit]
                  I'm well aware of Bob Patton, he's a good guy, and one of the guys considering the "KS/Spec e30" dual role idea.

A lot of this depends on my location in the next few years, if I stay up here in the midwest, I'm gonna keep the car dual role for the two classes, if I move back down to Virginia, it'll probably go full on spec e30.

-Charlie
                  FYYFF

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie
                    The car is being built to be legal for both Spec E30 and BMWCCA K-stock, which doesn't allow adjustable plates.

That being said, I have talked to a number of people that have run the RTRS plates, and are less than impressed with them. I figure if I was going to go all out, I'd spend 3-400 bucks and get a fully adjustable strut top replacement mount. As for cost, the cheapest I've found the RTRS plates has been 150, most places list them at 180.

-Charlie
                    What were some of the complaints with the RTRS's

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
                      Originally posted by Charlie

-Charlie
                      What were some of the complaints with the RTRS's
                      I'm not going to repeat second and third hand stuff. The RTRS plates aren't bad, and I don't want it to appear that I am stating they are, however I'd probably cough up 300 bucks for the GC plates if I wanted to go adjustable. I'd suggest asking for opinions on the spec e30 and e30 yahoo lists if you want to get some opinions on the plates.

-Charlie
                      FYYFF

Comment

bob patton is my GF's dad he is a good guy and considering the spece30/kstock idea, we put kstock spings back on lastnight. LOL looks like a 4x4...compared anyway

Russell
                        1987 325is
                        1992 240sx coupe
                        1994 525i

Comment

Thanks for the write up Charlie.... I was interested in purchasing them as well... since I am looking for a 'J-Stock' setup...

Comment

Gives you an idea of the front.

-Charlie
                            FYYFF

Comment

Well...I keep hearing people say that they know people that have been 'less than impressed' with RTRS's camber plates...well, what exactly have you heard, what are the issues?
                              Trevor Ely
                              '95 M Sport 540i - '00 A4 1.8TQMS - '85 190E 2.3-16
                              '88 535is - '87 325e - '89 325is - '91 318is - '90 325is - '96 328is

Comment

Working...
                              X