Temperature Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temperature Sensor

I noticed I had a rough idle and running a little rich. So I figured to replace my Temperature sensor that I have heard can cause this. I was wondering there are two sensors at the top of the thermostat, but besides the top of the connector being brown and blue are they the same part number. Since Im looking into Rock Auto and Pelican and they really don't seem to show two different ones, just temperature sensor/ sender

They are different. Blue one is the one you want to change. Brown one is for the temperature gauge. Look the part number up on RealOEM.com.

Comment

^^^ correct. They are different

The way to tell is that the sensor for the temperature gauge has one wire. The sensor for the ECU has two wires and uses a clip-on connector.

The E30 collection:
      1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
      1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
      1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
      1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
      1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
      1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
      1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
      2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
      2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Temperature Sensor

If that doesn't make sense you can ground out each of the plugs (total of four connecting points) one at a time. If and when you ground out the plug that goes to the temp gauge, the temp gauge will show 100% hot all the way to the red.

So the other plug is for the sensor you want to replace, and obviously if you mix them up you won't get a signal at the gauge.

All this is for if you forget which is which basically, or if you are not sure which sensor you need to replace. It takes less than 90 seconds if you are having troubles.
        BMW tech
        Umass Amherst
        05 wrx sti

Comment

Part numbers.
          Brown Temp Sensor for Temp Gauge in cluster: 1262 1 710 512
          Blue Temp Sensor for the DME: 1362 1 709 966
          1990 325i
          2004 330i Individual 6-speed
          sigpic

Comment

The temp sensor for the ECU is the blue sensor. The ECU temp sensor is the sensor that sits lower and to the rear of the 2 sensors. It is almost under the fuel rail. You will need to remove the temp sensor for the cluster to get to the ECU temp sensor. The cluster temp sensor is brown, has only 1 pin, and sits forward/higher of the 2 sensor. Both sensors are 17mm or a 11/16". A crowfoot wrench works best because of the odd angle.

Comment

19mm not 17mm

I recently replaced the temp gauge sender (brown with one prong), and used a 6-point 19 mm deep socket.
              1986 325ES

Comment

Working...
              X