Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green Turbo Sled Build Thread

Hey y'all,

I got my turbo up and running tonight!!!! I started tear down of the car on Wednesday and got the car running today (Saturday night).

I will do a full build thread with parts list later down the road. I have been way to busy working on the car the even think about posting but now that the car is running (not driving) I thought that I would give y'all a little teaser.

Background of the car: 1987 325is: I found this car on craigslist and called the owner within 30 minutes of it being posted (on a Thursday night). We set up a meet time to check it out for Friday night. The car was perfect! I offered him $3,000 (posted for $3,300, I did not want to bargain much because the car was such a good deal) He accepted the offer, but sadly the banks were closed by this point (7pm) and all I had on me was checks. So we met up Saturday morning at the bank, and I bought the car. He had history of the car with all the new parts and part numbers. It is a full page of printed text and written notes. Everything (mechanically) was perfect. It was rebuilt @~177k miles as a 2.8L stroker motor(a little more on that later). (car has ~236k miles). I was driving home Sunday night and the clutch, slave, master all failed. (so i got it fixed).

A few weeks after it was fixed, I was at German Cars and Coffee. A guy I had never seen before approached me and asked where I got the car. I told him I had just bought it. I then started to tell him that is a stroker motor, but he stopped me and finished my sentence. Longer story short: He was best friends with the owner of the car (who did the engine build and all the work) and used to work on it. Turns out the car had been in his friend group since the late 1990's. (For those wondering the car sticks out because it is painted British Racing Green... the miata color... don't hate. :hitler: ) As it turns out, the owner who did all the work on the car passed away from cancer a few years back and since then the car got passed around their friend group and ended up with the person I bought it from (the friend group mostly moved to Florida, the car stayed in TN, it got passed onto the dad of one of the friends and the dad sold it to me having no idea what it was) At this point on I knew I wanted to dedicate the car to Chandler (the PO that passed away.) and finish his project. When Chandler built the stroker motor, he had ideas turbo floating in his mind.

So with some of the background put out there lets move onto the actual build. I have rambled to much for one night so I am going to keep this short and add on later. TDLR: The turbo is alive and running. (only problem is an oil leak from the filter sandwich because I brain farted and put it on backwards)

So here is the first start with just the downpipe and no exhaust: (please excuse the first bit... did not want to edit it) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srK82t9kDGI

And second start with full exhaust (2.5" pipe with high flow cat and side exit): (again excuse the first bit... also excuse the filming) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OceV0HK31Rk

Well for now thats it... but there will be a ton more info. Feel free to ask any questions and I will try my best to answer!
    1987 325is 2.8L Stroker Turbo "Little Pickle aka The Green Turbo Sled"

Update: Wastegate stuck open. About to take it off and fix

Comment

Update 2: Wastegate fixed and working again! Will do a drive tomorrow and try to see if we cant get some boost!

Comment

Green Turbo Sled Build Thread

Nice progress, any new updates since you got the oil leak and wastegate sorted?

Comment

Originally posted by Dgerry View Post
          Nice progress, any new updates since you got the oil leak and wastegate sorted?
          Just got done redoing the entire exhaust. New sparkplugs and wires. Wideband o2

Comment

Working...
          X