Kickdown sends engine into rpm limiter? ~5200rpm 86 325e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kickdown sends engine into rpm limiter? ~5200rpm 86 325e

It's my cousins auto eta, her first car. Just drove it back from SoCal and it needs a bunch of maintenance done. One of the slowest cars I've driven so when I would have to accelerate I'd kit the kickdown and it would downshift too low and land into the rpm limiter around 5200 rpm.

Don't think they're supposed to rev past the dial gauge lol maybe PO installed a chip. The transmission shifts fast and smooth, super healthy with clean fluid.

It was running warm over the 500 mile drive, getting close but not into the red. No coolant loss, heater is hot, no air bubbles. Fan clutch is weak, thinking maybe a sticky thermostat or clogged radiator. Coolant is filthy. Changing everything cooling related plus a timing belt, really debating on doing an I head swap, chance the stock head gasket could go out, don't want her stranded away from home (NorCal).

Excited to work on another e30 after my 24v vert was wrecked, hopefully doesn't give me too much trouble, thanks for the help guys.

RIP 02/25/15
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...16#post4356816
Working...
X