Differential question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differential question

I'm 100% confident that this question has been asked and answered i looked and couldn't find the specific answer I'm looking for so i apologize if it's an annoying question to answer.

I'm going to go see a 1989 325i soon to potentially buy it. My question is is there a way to be able to check if the car has the LSD option without going under the car and checking on the LSD itself? I have the VIN and looked it up on research.com for a free report but i couldn't find anywhere that mentions the diff.

Originally posted by Musij View Post
    I'm 100% confident that this question has been asked and answered i looked and couldn't find the specific answer I'm looking for so i apologize if it's an annoying question to answer.

I'm going to go see a 1989 325i soon to potentially buy it. My question is is there a way to be able to check if the car has the LSD option without going under the car and checking on the LSD itself? I have the VIN and looked it up on research.com for a free report but i couldn't find anywhere that mentions the diff.
    It wont be in the vin but you can kind of tell by year, transmission, options etc, but even then there are changes. The best way to do it is to climb under the car and check out the Tag. If you see an S its an LSD.
    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Jack up the rear, spin a tire. Other one goes the same direction, you have a limited slip.

Alternately, do a burnout and see if the car leaves 1 stripe or 2.
      Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
        It wont be in the vin but you can kind of tell by year, transmission, options etc, but even then there are changes. The best way to do it is to climb under the car and check out the Tag. If you see an S its an LSD.
        That's what I thought. I'll probably just wear some clothes I don't mind getting dirty and check it out.. thanks!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
          Jack up the rear, spin a tire. Other one goes the same direction, you have a limited slip.

Alternately, do a burnout and see if the car leaves 1 stripe or 2.
          Or that:) I read his thread wrong I thought he wanted to know ratio as well.
          Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Good idea, it's best to trust but verify. These cars are getting older, and there is a chance it could've been swapped for something else for better or worse. Good luck!
            clutchCTRL!
            Move with a purpose.
            - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
            - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
            - 2000 323i AT
            2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
              Or that:) I read his thread wrong I thought he wanted to know ratio as well.
              I don't blame you. I just reread my own post and was a little confused lol. I really need to proofread myself. Your answer was the one I was looking for. The other things I can do that were commented add to it :) thanks!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X