No announcement yet.

Official Aviation Thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's awesome George. 1/2 mile of separation is stupid close. Just to put it in perspective for you, we are required to have a separation on approach of 4 miles. We generally travel at a speed of 140 knots with full flaps and gear down depending on landing weight.

A typical Cessna approach speed is probably around 70 knots. So they are bringing airplanes in at around half the speed but 8 times as close together.

By doing this math, that would be about 2 airplanes a minute per runway.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Well I got all moved in to K-State Polytech here in Salina so I guess let the fun begin! Really looking forward to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
      I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
        By doing this math, that would be about 2 airplanes a minute per runway.
        About double the time of the landing interval on an aircraft carrier - 1 jet/prop aircraft landing every minute during recovery operations!

Comment

Originally posted by gkurey View Post
          About double the time of the landing interval on an aircraft carrier - 1 jet/prop aircraft landing every minute during recovery operations!
          If I'm in the LA, take that back by 30 seconds. Takes a long time to taxi out from the -1 wire. Though #PLM just made my life magical.
          e92 M3
          e30 M3 s52 swap
          w203 C240 wagon (DD)
          190e 5.6 swap (in surgery)

Comment

^Never military, but other than the 1 wire, I don't have any idea what you are talking about.
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

They're using a big DC10 on some of our fires now. We're pretty much surrounded, the air quality is actually dangerous some days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	59a4ef3769e8b.image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	7192842

Comment

^

that the Lolo fire I assume. We have been fairly lucky up north of ya, not as many big fires this year given how dry and hot it's been this summer
                Originally posted by Fusion
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

Rice Ridge Fire, Seeley Lake.

Comment

^

That would have been my 2ed guess, but your general location is a bit closer to the Lolo....

talked to a friend of mine a week or so ago that had made a recent trip down 83 to see family Just north of Seeley lake an he said the air/smoke/haze Was BAD...... Thats going to be the bad one for the year I think.
                    Originally posted by Fusion
                    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                    William Pitt-

Comment

One week till...

Voodoo broke the propeller driven piston engined 3K speed record over the weekend. Its now 531 mph for a 4 pass average speed. Strega has a new pilot, who finished second last year. If you have never gone to the Reno Air Races, you should make the trip. Its like no other racing anywhere. Part Vintage car racing, part F1 racing, part airshow.

Will
                      '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                      '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                      '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                      '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                        If you have never gone to the Reno Air Races, you should make the trip.
                        Would love to....Can a ticket get you into most places? Ot has it become more like the Monterey/Laguna Seca historics? Where you need a pass to get into any paddock, party or what-not?
                        Originally posted by Matt-B
                        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                          Would love to....Can a ticket get you into most places? Ot has it become more like the Monterey/Laguna Seca historics? Where you need a pass to get into any paddock, party or what-not?
                          You do need a pit pass to get into the pits, but even with the pit pass, the ticket price is less than Monterey. I think it works out to $65 for both. That said, after the races are over every evening, you can walk through the place for free. To see a night run of an unlimited is pretty awesome. You can get general admission tickets at COSTCO for a reduced amount.

Will
                          '88 BMW M3

Comment

^^ That grey one is cool (Royal Canadian Navy) - what plane is that?

Last year of the Neptune P2s. I won't get to hear them coming and going from our airport anymore.

“This aircraft is all cables,” Dahl said. “You actually have to drive it. You get cuts and bruises and calluses. In the airplane world, it’s just more challenging.”

Name:	Neptune P2.jpg
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	7193001

Name:	Neptune engine.jpg
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	7193002

Name:	Neptune cockpit.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	7193003

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                              ^^ That grey one is cool (Royal Canadian Navy) - what plane is that?

Last year of the Neptune P2s. I won't get to hear them coming and going from our airport anymore.

“This aircraft is all cables,” Dahl said. “You actually have to drive it. You get cuts and bruises and calluses. In the airplane world, it’s just more challenging.”

[ATTACH]117010[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]117011[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]117012[/ATTACH]
                              Its a Hawker Sea Fury, owned by the Sanders Family. The have 3, one with the correct Bristol Centaurus,

Then there is Argonaut, with a Pratt and Whitney R2800 (the one in night shot above)

And their big battleship of the sky, Dreadnought. Powered by a 28 cyl R4360, pushing about 4000 hp.

Reno is looking good, currently there are two TBMs, a DC3, A P38, two F4Us, a spitfire, 9 P51s, a Wildcat, a Yak 3 (with a warmed up Allison) the pits are FULL!

I'm going to miss seeing and hearing the P2V Neptunes on fires. Those R3350s have a unique sound with the jet engines burning on the wings.

Personally I think its stupid they are being retired. They are still doing the job well, they don't have replacements in place, and with the way fire seasons are getting, we are going to need them.

Will
                              '88 BMW M3

Comment

On the ramp at Reno right now....

x10 P/F-51D Mustangs, 2 of those being Super-Stangs!
                                x5 Sea Furies, all 4 types of engines represented
                                x2 Corsairs (FG-1, F4U-1)
                                x2 TBM/F Avengers
                                x1 F8F Bearcat
                                x1 P-51A
                                x1 P-40E
                                x1 P-38J
                                x1 FM-2 Wildcat
                                x1 B-25J
                                x1 Spitfire Mk.9
                                x1 Yak 3M
                                and of course TFLM's C-47!

That is an impressive group of warbirds.

Will
                                '88 BMW M3

Comment

Working...
                                X