Can't get my car into any gear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get my car into any gear.

I just bought it last week, Its an 88 325is with some kind of short shifter installed. I went to do the valves today and I thought it was odd that I couldn't get the wheels to turn in 5th. Ditched the idea of doing the valves. I get the car on the ground and now it's pretty much impossible to get in any gear, like I have use all I've got to get it in, reverse is the worst. I don't like the short shifter, I was planning on finding a stock one, this stupid thing is probably a reason for the issue too.

So I had to move the car to get to my other car. When the engine is off it goes into gear just fine, so I fired it up and with the clutch in it wanted to move while I cranked it over.then while it was running it didn't want to get in gear.

Comment

Sounds like either you clutch master or slave cylinder went bad. If you top off the reservoir sometimes you can get away with pumping the clutch a few times to get it to operate, but since the fluid is shared with the brakes on these cars I wouldn't really drive around like that. but for the sake of moving it around in the driveway it can make it easier.

Comment

Other than not having an operable clutch from fluid loss, there is nothing to worry about regarding the brakes. If you look closely at the reservoir you will see that it has two compartments. One for the clutch and the other for the brakes. So losing all of the clutch fluid will not affect the brakes.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
        X