Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unexpected Touring Build...

Long time member but rarely post.....

In 2013 I was informed by a friend of a 1990 325i touring in California that was for sale. Being that car was in California and being driven, I figured... "cool, a legal touring"
    After some negotiating and lots of pictures, the touring was heading to me.

Here are some pics on day of arrival...

After receiving touring i looked at documentation, and realized how it was being driven...
    It was registered in Canada....
    It had never came up in conversation, and i assumed....which is why we should never assume.
    I then sent touring to Levent @ Guten parts where he went over entire car and took care of all the little issues that it had....
    He gave it a clean bill of health and claimed it to be one of the cleanest e30s he had ever seen.....
    Car came To Canada via Japan and only had 119,000km

more pics

and then......it went into storage for 2 years until it's 25th birthday....

fast forward two years to Sept 2015.... She was now legal and ready to be put out on the road....
    So... she received new shoes and ...

fast forward another two years,
    this time I was out and about in my recently swapped to a manual transmission tranny when a distracted lady ( texting) failed to hit her brakes in time.
    So this happened...

So now my unexpected touring build starts...

Comment

As you all know,
      tourings were never imported into this country so finding parts will be a challenge.
      Contacted Sskoda on here, who has always been great to deal with,
      He immediately put aside a hatch for me ( which are NLA new) and informed me that the tail panels were still available new at the dealer.
      He sourced me a new tail panel, packaged it along with hatch and off to this side of the pond.....

Meanwhile i shipped me car over to Matt @ Convenience Collision,
      located at; 251 Erdman ave , Bangor PA.

Why so far you ask....

For starters, they do METICULOUS work!!
      He was highly recommended to me by a friend and did some work for me before this.
      I am pretty anal when it comes to my cars, and he has , by far, done the best work I have yet to see.
      He pays attention to the smallest of details and takes pride in his work.
      He is also BMW authorized when it comes to collision repair and is also a enthusiast ..

Comment

Ugh. That is my biggest fear. I am so afraid that shortly after my Datsun is restored, it will somehow end up damaged or totaled. Same reason I will likely never own a motorcycle. I don't trust other drivers.

Good luck getting it fixed. At least it looks like minor damage. The tailgate can't be repaired?

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
          Ugh. That is my biggest fear. I am so afraid that shortly after my Datsun is restored, it will somehow end up damaged or totaled. Same reason I will likely never own a motorcycle. I don't trust other drivers.

Good luck getting it fixed. At least it looks like minor damage. The tailgate can't be repaired?
          tell me about it... always glancing at rear view mirror in fear

Comment

Matt has started on car,

Comment

ah man, first i was like WHOA! This thing is beautiful. Then i was like, WHOA! SHIT! seeing it wrecked. Now i'm just hopeful. I don't know if i've ever seen comfort seats that clean after second ownership. seriously.

Comment

This post has WIN all over it!

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                  ah man, first i was like WHOA! This thing is beautiful. Then i was like, WHOA! SHIT! seeing it wrecked. Now i'm just hopeful. I don't know if i've ever seen comfort seats that clean after second ownership. seriously.
                  It will be as good as before...
                  Luckily all the damage was to tailgate and panel.
                  No quarter panel damage, no roof damage and no trunk floor damage.
                  Also while she is in there, planning on having Matt roll rear fenders and paint and install a mtech 2 body kit

Comment

More updates ...
                    The back panel came with a small exhaust cutout,
                    so it had to be modified to accept the dual exhaust that comes on a 325

Comment

test fitting the tailgate

Comment

Unexpected indeed.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Update...

Back panel is welded on....

Just like factory....

Comment

Upper joint seams were silicone bronze welded and spot welded floor to pan

Comment

proper rebuild. Cant wait to see it with the mtech2 kit.
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                              X