No announcement yet.

Joe's new daily, what should it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E39 M5 is one hell of a car, the 540i gets you most of that feeling for much cheaper.

You won't be disappointed. They are plentiful here in the Bay Area: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/...transmission=1

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
    Transaction feedback
    - jpod999

Comment

I was just on the bay area CL, so many!

Anyway, I think it's gonna be a 540i 6-speed or a ZHP. Just need to sell my 944 first.

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
      Sounds like you need a massage.
      Originally posted by kpeng
      Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

e34/e39 4+liter 6 speed would be the schizzle.

for the record a cayman beats the shit out of a pansy boxter any day.
        sigpic
        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

One thing to note, from what Im told the m62 needs alot more maintenance compared to an m60. Other side of that is e39s are much easier to find.

Comment

I haven't driven many e39 540i's, but the M5 steering and chassis in general is worlds better than the e34. I love e34's for the aesthetics and seating position, but the steering is absolutely terrible, if the e39 540i sport is even close to the e39 m5 in that regard I would have a really hard time buying an e34 540i over one of those.
            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

I agree about the steering on the E34, not sure what they were thinking. I've heard people swap E36 racks onto the cars but no idea what's involved in that
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

V8 E39s got reciprocating ball steering boxes; I6 E39s got rack and pinion. Having driven both I think the I6 cars steer and handle better than their V8 siblings. Counterpoint: V8.
                Originally posted by kronus
                would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

E36 m3 sedans fit into your needs pretty good I have been looking into one as my next daily

Comment

I love either choice of the E39 or the E46. Personally for a more maintenance free daily though I would go ZHP E46. Maybe a bit slower then the 540 but it handles really well, feels very well put together. Not to mention will be the cheapest to maintain out of all of them.

I miss my E46, it is probably one of my all time favorite all around cars. You will get good gas mileage, its fun, and looks great.

Always wanted an Imola one.

Last edited by Staszek; 07-09-2017, 04:31 PM.
                    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

The E34 540 is a sweet car- I've owned E36 and E46 M3's and an E46 330i ZHP which I recently sold. Currently DD'ing my E30. The ZHP was the best "do everything" car- fast, comfortable, cheap to maintain and solidly built. Plus it got around 23 MPG when you didn't thrash it. It's no M3- but IMO the perfect DD. I do regret selling it- and will probably get another one someday.

Comment

So it looks like I'll be ready to get serious later this week (pending sale of my 944).

The current options are:
                        1998 540i, 6speed, 130k miles, has some service records, seems to be in good shape. ($4k, seems like it may be a great deal)

1999 MB C43 AMG, auto, 102K miles, not sure about records, also seems to be well kept ($3.5K - concerned about major failures and expensive maint)

1998 328is, local car, FLAWLESS maintenance history including motor refresh, all suspension components, etc. $5.5k (more than I want to spend, especially on an e36 non-m....but it won't die, ever)

Open to all feedback.

Anyone have experience with the c43 AMGs?

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
                        Sounds like you need a massage.
                        Originally posted by kpeng
                        Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe G View Post

Im sure you can find good info looking at the comments in these auctions

Bring a Trailer Auctions is the best place to buy and sell vintage and classic vehicles - Porsche, BMW, Land Rover, and more.

A friend/ mechanic has a C43 that he swapped the 5.5 AMG motor into. Its an absolute monster.

Thats my only experience.

Im in a similar boat now, sold the daily and the E30 and looking for a new daily currently. Im avoiding V8s though
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Ill throw another vote to the e46 330 zhp. My dad had a 330ci sport package and it was an awesome daily. I loved driving it. Really a great car. Other than that, I thnk e36s also make great dailys and a clean 328is can be had for relatively cheap. E36 m3s are great too.
                            '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                            Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Joe G View Post
                              So it looks like I'll be ready to get serious later this week (pending sale of my 944).

The current options are:
                              1998 540i, 6speed, 130k miles, has some service records, seems to be in good shape. ($4k, seems like it may be a great deal)

1999 MB C43 AMG, auto, 102K miles, not sure about records, also seems to be well kept ($3.5K - concerned about major failures and expensive maint)

1998 328is, local car, FLAWLESS maintenance history including motor refresh, all suspension components, etc. $5.5k (more than I want to spend, especially on an e36 non-m....but it won't die, ever)

Open to all feedback.

Dont know much about the AMG. The 328is is a great car, fairly bullet proof engine and will be way less to maintain if in good shape.

As for the 540i, the engine is an M62 (could be a TU) depending on the build date. At 130k I would check if the guides have been done. If not I would do them if you buy it, They are a ticking time bomb, its not if they will go its when. Some have made it to 200k some have gone at 90k, they are plastic and if they brake the chain slips and you basically made your engine a paperweight.

It can be done by you, its not super hard, but it is super tedious and takes more then a day to do.

That is really the only major thing on the E39, there are a lot of little things but nothing that a weekender cant fix.
                              Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

e39
                                Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Working...
                                X