FS: '91 318i - s52 powered - Tampa, FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS: '91 318i - s52 powered - Tampa, FL

This car's been a blast to own, but my priorities have shifted - I'm getting married at the end of the year and could really use some additional funds.

Until I can get some current pics up, please refer to this thread for pictures and details on the swap:

That's the way I found it. Not much has changed, other than swapping some interior and exterior parts based on personal preference. I also had to fix several things that were not disclosed in the PO's ad (more on that below). Nothing about the engine or drivetrain has changed. The engine was refreshed before it was installed, is trouble-free and runs very strong. Most of the other swap parts were new at the time as well, and I've only put another 1500 miles on the car since I acquired it.

Highlights:

1991 318i
    Alpineweiss II over Black
    Clean title
    All VINs match
    Crack-free dash
    Killer OBDII S52 swap with the best parts
    E36 M3 steering rack
    E36 M3 transmission
    E36 M3 driveshaft
    3.25 LSD
    H&R sport suspension and Eibach swaybars
    E30 M3 aluminum control arms
    AKG reinforced subframe
    Lots of poly
    Working A/C!

Things I changed:

MOMO shift knob to match the wheel
    Added maplight mirror
    Added fogs
    Added IS spoiler
    OEM lights and grills
    Car is now on a clean set of weaves with good tires
    I went through the entire interior, replaced all missing and broken trim, and converted it completely to black. It's super nice now. The front seats have a few imperfections, but if it wasn't for that it'd be 9-10/10.

Cons:

In addition to the cons listed in the other thread, there were several others that were not mentioned.. a leaking gas tank, blown rear shocks, several small dings and a little rust. I have not had time to address the body, but I did have a brand new gas tank and fittings professionally installed at a local shop, as it was a safety issue. The rear shocks and mounts were replaced at the same time. The only other thing I can think to mention is the power steering. The PO said it was "a little tough", but it's more like non-existent. I believe there is a leak near the reservoir. Could be an easy fix, but my plan was to simply delete it. I will include a new Condor P/S delete block with the car.

I'd like to be as transparent as possible about this car. It's not perfect, but it is very clean, the swap is top notch, it has a ton of nice upgrades, and A/C! Considering the good and the bad, I'm asking $7500.
    Last edited by 24v e30; 02-14-2016, 01:31 PM.
    1991 318i stock-ish (daily)
    1991 318i s52 (sold)
    1991 318is (sold)

Bump for an honest and solid FS thread.
    Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
    COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Thanks, posting up some current pics (sorry she's a little dirty).
      Attached Files
      1991 318i s52 (sold)
      1991 318is (sold)

Comment

Interior
        Attached Files
        1991 318i s52 (sold)
        1991 318is (sold)

Comment

bump
          1991 318i s52 (sold)
          1991 318is (sold)

Comment

Great price for a clean S52 swap- surprised this is not already gone. No way you can build it yourself for that. I easily have more than that into my M20 powered E30. I was down in Clearwater for a few days escaping the brutal cold in NJ- on the plane now! Was hoping I'd have time to check out your car. GLWS. Really nice example.

Comment

Bump for what looks to be a VERY honest seller. A lot of folks may take that for granted, but I for one, do not. I drove 4 hours to pick up my "perfect" e30 and it was half the car I had seen in pictures. Funniest lie ever went as such:

Me: "How's the A/C?"
              Seller: "Works great! Blows cold..."
              Me: "That's good. It gets hot as hell here."
              Seller: "Haha, definitely."

I get there and the exchange goes as follows:

Me: "Where's the compressor?"
              Seller: "Compressor?"
              Me: "Yeah, for the A/C that "Blows cold..."
              Seller: "Umm.."

Lol. Among many other things that weren't mentioned. Like the low beams not being functional, half of the turn signals being non-functional, reverse lights not working, huge oil leak at the rear main causing the clutch to slip, low clutch engagement and a driveshaft that had worn itself nearly to the point of separating in TWO! I just got in my car and left without even telling him I was leaving, hah. Moral of this long-winded story is; Don't take this kind of transparency for granted.

Copied pictures from your thread for those that are too lazy to click. GLWS

Last edited by mmmb00st; 02-15-2016, 07:33 PM.

Comment

How is this car not sold yet? Pictures look great. I second the comment about full disclosure - it makes it easy to buy from afar.
                Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
                COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Mostly clean E30, s52, 4 doors, and working A/C! This is a daily driver dad dream car! Very tempted to catch a flight to Tampa and drive this back to Dallas! No way this will still be available for that long.
                  West German BMWs, they just don't make the same as they did before the wall fell.
                  ^Case in point: Auto-Repair Technology. Everytime my car isn't starting or acting up I let it sit, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days. But it eventually fixes itself.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I do believe in being upfront about these things, I know when I buy a car I don't like a lot of surprises. Because of that, I've priced the car to sell. To any interested parties: don't let the low asking price or the little things put you off, it's actually a really solid car.

Originally posted by NeoMishMoo View Post
                    Mostly clean E30, s52, 4 doors, and working A/C! This is a daily driver dad dream car! Very tempted to catch a flight to Tampa and drive this back to Dallas! No way this will still be available for that long.
                    I also wanted to mention that I wouldn't hesitate to drive this thing half way across the country. I drove it from SC to FL with no issues.
                    Last edited by 24v e30; 02-18-2016, 01:55 PM.
                    1991 318i s52 (sold)
                    1991 318is (sold)

Comment

wanna make a trip to beautiful Ohio!? There's still some snow on the ground lol
                      Current Moneypits: e36 m3/4/5 Turbo Techno
                      1961 Cadillac deVille bagged -
                      IG @bryang513

Comment

Well, appears I can't give this thing away. Yes, it has some issues, but the price reflects that. Thought it was pretty low too for a swapped car with A/C. I've gotten quite a bit of interest, but it seems like the rust is a big turn off. Understandable, but it's really not that bad.

I was talking to another member here and had an idea.. dropping the price, removing some aesthetic parts and selling it as a track car. Because it's mechanically sound and the little things wouldn't matter as much then. Would anyone be in for $6500 and I keep the following?

-lip
                        -fogs
                        -spoiler
                        -euro clock
                        -shift knob (replaced with stock)
                        -maplight mirror (if I can find a stock one)
                        -door cards
                        -rear seat
                        -toolkit
                        -skid plate
                        -swap out weaves for stockers

I'll leave the front seats, so basically you'd get a car you can drive home with a nice swap and suspension for way less than you could build it. Then you could fix it up the way you want, or strip it further for the track. What do you guys think? I wouldn't mind some opinions before I head down this road.
                        1991 318i s52 (sold)
                        1991 318is (sold)

Comment

Dude, post more pictures of the car currently. Post real detailed pictures of the rust. I'm looking for cheap plane tickets out there. I think the pictures with your car wedged in the driveway and the headline of this thread being almost verbatim with the original sale thread seems odd. If it runs nice get some artistic driving shots.

I say this even though I think I have all the parts you're removing.

Post more pictures of it now, will help with the sale.
                          West German BMWs, they just don't make the same as they did before the wall fell.
                          ^Case in point: Auto-Repair Technology. Everytime my car isn't starting or acting up I let it sit, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days. But it eventually fixes itself.

Comment

Yeah, I'm obviously not very good at this.. I know I could put more effort into it, but for 7500 didn't think I had to..

Anyway, you're right, this ad's gotten a little confusing. I think I'm gonna close it soon and post a new one with more pics after I figure out what to do. When I do repost it, it's either going to be 7000 as it sits, or 6000 basically returned to stock, except for the swap (sort of the ultimate sleeper if you will). Just need to decide which parts I want to harvest for my other 318.

Thx
                            1991 318i s52 (sold)
                            1991 318is (sold)

Comment

just pm'd you...
                              I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Working...
                              X