Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My m50 is pinging. Running out of ideas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So if anyone wants more, your saying hanz and franz will have to strike a few more, from the fire filled forges of the german mountains, where they harvest precious metals to use only on bmw parts??

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Just installed this.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Did it fix the pinging?

RIP 02/25/15
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...16#post4356816

Comment

Appears to be no change.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I knew it wouldn't.

How did the rest of your sensors check out?
            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Wishno87 View Post
              My podi is setup for it but I haven't bought the wideband yet because I can't get any of the rest of the gauge working.
              I got the one I have all set up if you think I can help send me a pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                I knew it wouldn't.

How did the rest of your sensors check out?
                Should have said something...

Comment

It would have needed replacing eventually. Did you ever check out your knock sensors? How about cam sensor?

Comment

Knock sensors are new. Haven't touched the cam sensor. Will do the coolent temp sensor next time I pull the intake. At this point I'm betting on the vanos. Replacing it next weekend along with some s50 cams and squid tune.

Comment

I would check resistance on the cam sensor, just to be safe. Good luck! You'll want to drive it a lot more after you do cams and a tune.

Comment

Damn, this sounds frustrating. I'm in just to see what happens, hope you can sort it out.

Seafoam didn't do anything for me either; I had my motor rebuilt afterwards and the pistons and valves were still horrifyingly caked with deposits, though to be fair it was burning significant oil. Also I didn't experience any pinging despite a that and a bad HG / poor compression.

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                        I would check resistance on the cam sensor, just to be safe.
                        I would check resistance on all the things just to be safe. Seems like it could be one of those terrible electrical gremlins we all dread.

You mentioned it was different/worse on a different ECU - does it change much when you unplug the battery for awhile then try again? I wonder what the adaptations are doing, maybe that holds a clue.

Comment

I ordered a new cam sensor to install while I'm replacing the vanos unit because you need to remove the vanos solenoid anyway. I couldn't find any ohm specs for the cam sensor though. Just the crank sensor.

Comment

Well it appears the rebuilt vanos and new cam sensor did nothing. I will still install the rebuilt vanos on the e34 though just because it probably could use it so I will report back with that.

Also yesterday I installed a new ecu coolent temp sensor and new oil cap as well as swapped coil packs. Still nothing.

Today I will swap injectors and fpr.

Comment

damn... :(

I hope, you can track this down, is it possible, you have bad lifters, or a related head issue?

Comment

my shit pings still too. Im over trying to fix it. Im gonna mash it till it blows up.

Whatever.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                                Ig:ryno_pzk
                                I like the tuna here.
                                Originally posted by lambo
                                Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Working...
                                X