E30 M50 rear main seal replacement with engine in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 M50 rear main seal replacement with engine in

Anybody ever done it? Can you really get at the top trans bolts? I could access a lift for a Saturday at the shop I work at. Seems like it would be easier to pull the driveshaft, shifter and drop the trans down to access the seal than to do all of that plus pull the engine out wit the fuel lines, heater hoses, wiring, exhaust manifolds, etc.
    For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
    Originally posted by mbonanni
    I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

You can get to the bolts with a loooong extension and the motor tilted back. I could do it in my orange car in a couple hours on my back.

Comment

I've pulled the trans in my car 4 or 5 times, no problem. Takes about an hour and thirty minutes to remove, roughly.
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

as mentioned DO YOURSELF A BIG FAVOR buy or barrow a 30"+ long extension they are usually 1/2" on one end 3/8 on other made for this purpose. Also helps to use an engine support bar across eng compartment hook eng at front lift eye/ loosen eng engine mnts to tilt eng to firewall, really helps with access to upper trans bolts. oh and then there's the starter... not too bad just takes time
        My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Totally doable. I replaced my clutch with the motor and trans in the car and all-in-all it probably took about 6 hours total. Granted I have done this a few times now so I might be a little more speedy but you can bet on it being a 6-10 hour job.

Comment

Working...
          X