Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My m50 is pinging. Running out of ideas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man I wish it were that easy but the management on mine is all stock. I couldn't even imagine running a chip at this point. Going to try seafoam today as well as swap mafs and the ecu.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by Wishno87 View Post
      Man I wish it were that easy but the management on mine is all stock. I couldn't even imagine running a chip at this point. Going to try seafoam today as well as swap mafs and the ecu.
      I have had great results with BG products. Try to find someone in your area that carries them. It is an expensive service usually $100-200. I have used them professionally in the past. It will improve injector spray and carbon deposits on the intake valves. It may help with piston tops as well. Be sure to do the service when hot. You should put new plugs in as well when completed. Should change the oil afterwards as well. Are the plugs clean/tan/white/ black/carbonded up?
      Looking for late model fogs, E39 Fog lights, cool cheap 17 5x120 wheels.

Comment

If your car is pinging...you will definitely see Aluminium deposits on your spark plug.

If your other M50 is also having the same issue...id drain the gas and buy from different gas stations around your area to see if you got bad gas.

Comment

In for results on Seafoam.

Comment

Just did the smoke test again. The only place I see smoke coming from is the oil filler cap. It couldn't be that could it?
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryann View Post
              In for results on Seafoam.
              I was just about to do it today but I wanted to ask you guys first if I should worry about it getting into the oil at all. From what I understand once you have the intake siphon up the seafoam you are supposed to let it sit for 10 min before starting it again and beginning the smoke show.

Im assuming the "waiting 10 min" is for the seafoam to soak in but I don't want it to seep into the oil because I just changed it a few days ago.

Comment

I was just about to do it today but I wanted to ask you guys first if I should worry about it getting into the oil at all. From what I understand once you have the intake siphon up the seafoam you are supposed to let it sit for 10 min before starting it again and beginning the smoke show.

Im assuming the "waiting 10 min" is for the seafoam to soak in but I don't want it to seep into the oil because I just changed it a few days ago.
                doesnt it say you can put seafoam in the oil?personally i would change the oil but thats only an opinion
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                  doesnt it say you can put seafoam in the oil?personally i would change the oil but thats only an opinion
                  Ya but i want to run it though the intake and not the crank case. I was just wondering if it would seep past the pistons and into the oil. Probably not an issue but I tend to be overly cautious.

Comment

Ya but i want to run it though the intake and not the crank case. I was just wondering if it would seep past the pistons and into the oil. Probably not an issue but I tend to be overly cautious.
                    a little might but not enough to worry about methinks.

yes putting it through the vacuum hose or similar is the go
                    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

been watching this thread. My m50 has similar issues as well. Was running 89 and it would ping at freeway speed on accel. Upped to 91 and it went away... Not sure if its just my mind or not but I swear I can hear it still.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                      Ig:ryno_pzk
                      I like the tuna here.
                      Originally posted by lambo
                      Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
                        been watching this thread. My m50 has similar issues as well. Was running 89 and it would ping at freeway speed on accel. Upped to 91 and it went away... Not sure if its just my mind or not but I swear I can hear it still.
                        Haha this is how i feel too! I will be driving other cars and i will feel like I'm hearing pinging until I really intently listen :loco:

Comment

^Change your oil afterward Josh.

Found a thread where a guy unplugged his IAT sensor and it 'went away'. Unplugged mine before leaving work, did not go away and gave me a CEL. Watching and listening closely there is moderate to severe pinging depending on the load, only when near or up to operating temp and only between 1500-2900 rpm.

Comment

Are you sure it's not vanos rattle starting?
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                              Are you sure it's not vanos rattle starting?
                              this is what I was thinking right when I started noticing the sound... Its difficult to differentiate mine as it doesnt seem to appear as bad as others described.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                              Ig:ryno_pzk
                              I like the tuna here.
                              Originally posted by lambo
                              Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryann View Post
                                ^Change your oil afterward Josh.

Found a thread where a guy unplugged his IAT sensor and it 'went away'. Unplugged mine before leaving work, did not go away and gave me a CEL. Watching and listening closely there is moderate to severe pinging depending on the load, only when near or up to operating temp and only between 1500-2900 rpm.
                                You could be running extremely Lean. Lean can knock as well. I dont think that's what the issue is, but you need to look at the plugs to make sure. You don't want to melt a plug if piston. Clean the carbon and all will be good I bet.
                                Looking for late model fogs, E39 Fog lights, cool cheap 17 5x120 wheels.

Comment

Working...
                                X