24v swap transmission+diff. question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24v swap transmission+diff. question

I have been reading through this forum quite a bit lately since I am trying to sell my e36 m3 in order to fund my s52 swap into my '90 325i... I have read about all of the transmission/diff./driveline options but I am wondering about real-world experience on how people like the setups they have...

1. In your opinion is the zf trans from an m3 better for the swap than the g260 in my e30 stock and why?

2. Based on the trans you have, what diff. did you choose and how do you like it?

3. I am confused with the driveline setups... I heard about using an e36 328i driveline for a zf trans... So just the stock driveline for a g260? And which is better?

Thanks in advance!
    ~ Griffin
    Want shirts, stickers, or any other custom screen-printed or digitally printed apparel and posters?

Check out my website! --- www.weareforte.com

Forte Creative
    Griffin Hardcastle
    griff@weareforte.com

Originally posted by 4door30 View Post
    1. In your opinion is the zf trans from an m3 better for the swap than the g260 in my e30 stock and why?
    Yes. No overdrive 5th gear; does not necessitate bending the selector rod and/or buying an aftermarket support bracket; built to hold more power; newer.

2. Based on the trans you have, what diff. did you choose and how do you like it?
    A 3.15 Torsen. It's perfect for how I use the car, which is primary AutoX, mountain/twisty road carving and otherwise beating the crap out of it at every opportunity, with an occasional road trip in the mix.

3. I am confused with the driveline setups... I heard about using an e36 328i driveline for a zf trans... So just the stock driveline for a g260? And which is better?
    Yes, you'll need a "late" E36 ( 96-98 ) drive shaft out of a manual transmission car if you use the ZF.
    Originally posted by kronus
    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Thanks for the response! So in my e36 m3 right now, I swapped to a 3.38 ratio and the car rips... Does it just not equate the same way in an e30? If I ran an s52, zf m3 trans, and 328i driveline, wouldn't the 3.38 have the same effect? Or even the stock m3 diff. 3.23?

Again, thanks for the help, this is my first e30 and I couldn't be happier.
      Want shirts, stickers, or any other custom screen-printed or digitally printed apparel and posters?

Forte Creative
      Griffin Hardcastle
      griff@weareforte.com

Comment

It would, though an E36 diff won't bolt up to an E30. You'll need to source an E30 diff unless you plan on swapping the internals (yourself).

How you're going to be using the car will determine the diff ratio you'll want. You may want to go with a 2.93 for mostly highway use; a 3.73 will be a lot of fun until you try to go faster than 70 for more than a straightaway. Somewhere in between is typically the sweet spot. Whatever ratio you choose, you'll definitely want an LSD or a Torsen.
        Originally posted by kronus
        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Thanks for the input, sounds like staying right in the middle of that will be the best idea for me...

Forte Creative
          Griffin Hardcastle
          griff@weareforte.com

Comment

I have the ZF from an E36 328i in mine with a 325es "big guibo" driveshaft and a 3.25 40% lockup LSD from a 6-series (I think it's from a 635csi). I'm using the E36 M3 shifter. I was basically trying to mimic an E36 M3, but lighter. I like it a lot. Only thing I'm not too find of is spinning ~3750 RPMs at 80 mph (205/40/16 on there now).

Comment

My opinion leans the other way and ill explain why i decided to stay with g260. First and foremost i am cheap (not stupid though). G260 is plenty strong and should easily handle n/a s52 power even. No need to buy another tranny, a driveshaft, or a diff. Those are expensive ventures....much more expensive than buying at minimum a 70 trans brace. Anyway bending the shift selector rod takes about two minutes and is essentially a very minor tweak. Also you can use m20 single mass flywheel. It has to be cut down on backside to clear oil pan bosses which cost me 40 bucks with the benefit of going down to 14lb flywheel. Clutch can be a potential make/break too though. The stock m20 clutch is weaker than stock zf clutch setup. Many people run an aftermarket setup. Ive been on stock setup 3000 miles now with no issue but when i do have to replace it i am going with the m3 disc and pp which is plenty strong and nearly same price as m20 clutch kit.
              Last edited by mpowerful; 08-06-2014, 06:55 PM. Reason: and

Comment

Everything agent said.

I would have gone for the ZF anyway (I think) but it came with my S50, and I also have a 318 so I never had a G260 to begin with.

I went with a 2.93 LSD because it's relatively easy to find, and I wanted to start out with taller gearing and see how it went rather than going with 3.25 or above and then wishing I had less revs on the highway. I don't like cruising above 3000 rpm (weird mental thing, idk), and I'm happy with the gearing because that puts me at 75 mph indicated in 5th. I'll be pursuing a rebuild on the diff, so I've had to think about it and map out my options of speed/rpm in a spreadsheet, and at this point I plan on staying with that ratio.

Comment

It's good to hear all of the actual situations people are in with their builds... So far I'm looking at s52 (staying obd2), zf320 trans (e36 m3), 328i driveline w/e30 csb, and either a 3.25 or 3.46 diff... The main reason I want to possibly go all the way up to a 3.46 is because I am usually around town or cruising at no more than 65 all day, I'll have a chance pretty soon here to drive an s50 e30 with a 3.25 so I will for sure make my decision after that!

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

Forte Creative
                  Griffin Hardcastle
                  griff@weareforte.com

Comment

It's good to hear all of the actual situations people are in with their builds... So far I'm looking at s52 (staying obd2), zf320 trans (e36 m3), 328i driveline w/e30 csb, and either a 3.25 or 3.46 diff... The main reason I want to possibly go all the way up to a 3.46 is because I am usually around town or cruising at no more than 65 all day, I'll have a chance pretty soon here to drive an s50 e30 with a 3.25 so I will for sure make my decision after that!

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.
                    My daily grocery special is a 1998 m3. Stock DME and 100% original engine

I fit a 3.46 final drive; I have every option avail on my shelf.

My 2002 325i-5mt e46 also had a 3.46 fitted

a 100% s52+5 speed + 3.46 final = 23MPG combined.

With 3.23 it's about 24-25mpg combined at best. Never going to get much better

IF the swapped e30 footwork is not corner balanced well you won't be able to put down the power.

Stock e36m has a 3.23 and it's pretty much spot on for 95% of people. Don't buy a Hella old rotten 3.25 from a dirty e28, buy one from a modern z3 or order one custom built if the budget is there.
                    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Yeah so far I'm looking at either a 3.15 lsd or a 3.25 lsd, and if I'm swapping the diff, either it will be rebuilt before I buy it, or I will rebuild it myself.

Forte Creative
                      Griffin Hardcastle
                      griff@weareforte.com

Comment

It think it depends too on whether your running an S50 or an S52. I know that the S50 (1995 M3) came stock with a 3.15 diff, while the 96 and later came with a 3.23. I know they are different engines and everything but after driving my buddies 99 M3 for a month or so, i did like the power it gave out with the stock 3.23 but just wished it would spool up through the gears faster... like with a 3.46 or something. So in my S50 swap i wanted to go higher than the stock (3.15 for a 95 s50 engine) to try and get that, so I'm going with a 3.25 torsen or LSD. Plus I'm in Vermont, so road are windy and hilly and more fun up here.
                        CENTERBAR MOTORSPORT - Check out my small Bimmer/Beamer parts and custom projects business!
                        Instagram: @centerbarmotorsport
                        Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/centerbarmo...?ref=bookmarks

The Fleet:
                        -1984 325ei Lapis
                        -1991 325ix Diamond
                        - 2005 X5 4.4i Black Sapphire

-1972 2002tii Fjord - SOLD 7/8/17
                        -1991 325i S50 ///Sterling Silver/// - SOLD 9/15/17

The Bike:
                        -1980 R100RS Inca

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zcenterb View Post
                          It think it depends too on whether your running an S50 or an S52. I know that the S50 (1995 M3) came stock with a 3.15 diff, while the 96 and later came with a 3.23. I know they are different engines and everything but after driving my buddies 99 M3 for a month or so, i did like the power it gave out with the stock 3.23 but just wished it would spool up through the gears faster... like with a 3.46 or something. So in my S50 swap i wanted to go higher than the stock (3.15 for a 95 s50 engine) to try and get that, so I'm going with a 3.25 torsen or LSD. Plus I'm in Vermont, so road are windy and hilly and more fun up here.
                          The smaller engine will only desire an even shorter gear.

3200cc > 3000cc with lower brain processing power.

There is a really good reason all the serious e36m3 track cars in norcal are going to 3,91 final drives; they all need it for elevation.
                          OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Yeah that would make sense why the s52 is AMAZING with the 3.38 diff. rather than the stock 3.23. I did that diff. swap in my e36 m3 and the car rips...

Forte Creative
                            Griffin Hardcastle
                            griff@weareforte.com

Comment

I run an m50 with a ZF behind it and a 3.73 diff. It's fine for city driving or even highway. Top end speed is pretty limited, though. I hit rev limited in 5th gear at about 195km/h when I had 225/45R17 tires. Now I have 215/40R17, I'm sure top speed will be even a bit lower.
                              For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                              Originally posted by mbonanni
                              I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Working...
                              X