M50 swapped e30 to s52?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50 swapped e30 to s52?

I have a m50 swapped e30. Can I just pull the m50 and swap in the s52? The swaps seem to be identical. Mainly just wondering. Thanks in advanced guys

We had to do this on my e30 recently. Except it was s50 to s52. Same crap..

I read through this quite a few times:
    Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

There's some stuff in there other than the obvious, like swapping over your oil pan and intake setup. It is not a direct swap but it's easy

Comment

I think you will need a different harness since the S52 is OBD2 and the M50 is OBD1. Unless you convert the S52 to OBD1 (which I don't recommend). The rest should be the same.

Comment

OP - you can run the S52 OBD1 with the same exact wiring harness. Some people just might advise you not to.. My s52 runs fine OBD1.

Other than that you will need to install the e30 brown top coolant sensor for your cluster over to the S52 (head will already have the port in it). You need to make an "adapter" for the PCV fitting unless you use the M50 VC on your S52. Keep the OBD2 crank sensor as a plug in the back of the s52 block and just install the OBD1 sensor where it belongs above the crank balancer on the front of the motor. You can use either the m50 or s52 coil packs

The spider hose setup is also different on the s52 vs m50 (between timing case, heater core, exp tank). Turner sells a fitting to use the m50 stuff on your s52.

oh and a chip for your (assuming) 413 red label. You might have the 17.5 lb injectors from the m50 in there too. You'll want better flowing injectors

It sounds like a lot. It's really not. I might be forgetting something stupid - I'd read the link I posted above

Comment

Thanks guys;)

Comment

Working...
          X