failing smog help??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

failing smog help??????

i have 1984 bmw 318i and i failed smog twice.........

the first time i got gross polluter and was given advise to change the cat so i did..... here are my readings for my first smog test https://ton.twitter.com/1.1/ton/data...1/hbfLS5VG.jpg

i was also having overheating problems at the time and wanted to upgrade to a later model radiator and swap an electric fan for the clutch fan..... so i did this aswell ........my car runs amazing now. no problems

so i swapped the cat out for a new one and made sure i had no exhaust leaks i went to the smog and was told i couldnt have the electric fan to a toggle switch ("reason i failed smog") i was told my check engine light doesnt work and my evap failed aswell! my readings for second smog: https://ton.twitter.com/1.1/ton/data...9/drfwc4P1.jpg

Since all this has happened i tightened a hose clamp on the fuel filler neck since it leaks when i fill the gas tank all the way up and i believe it wasn't keeping pressure but i think there still might be something wrong with the evap system

now for the check engine light i take out the cluster changed the bulbs that did nothing....but one thing that ive noticed is that when i flip the key for the ignition the parking brake light comes on so does the brake lining and the battery light... correct me if im wrong but i believe that most of the lights on the cluster are supposed to come on but they dont.... tomorrow im going to check a ton of things but hopefully someone can give me a simple solution to my problem

i love this car and want to pass smog so ican keep going with my build!

I have the bentley manual and thats where i get my info but id love to get some help from you guys!!!!

You don't have a check engine light, take it to a different smog tech who knows what he's doing.

In regards to the switched fan again I don't believe that's a reason to fail (considering my previous car had a switched fan and never failed at the star stations k was required to go to). Don't get me wrong the fan always being on will make it
    fail if it doesn't heat up properly.

If there is an evap issue you may need a smoke test to find it, most emissions repair shops should offer that service. Though how old is your gascap that's also part of the test.

Also your images don't work
    Last edited by rommaster2; 06-29-2017, 08:28 AM. Reason: Wanted to add that images don't work without making a second reply and double posting.

Comment

Running fan all the time will not cause the engine to run cold if the thermostat is working correctly. The only downside to that is the extra electrical load when the fan isn't needed. That can be solved by installing a temp switch in the radiator and using it to control the fan via a relay.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

yah my check engine light doesnt work at all.... do i need that working tho?

yes the fan is always on! but the temperature seems to always stay at operating temperature

my gas cap passed but i might end up replacing it either way!

first smog test results:
        comprehensive visual inspection: pass
        functional check: pass
        Emissions test: gross polluter :(

i passed everything on emission control systems visual inspection/functional check results:
        OBD system checks: not applicable
        wiring to sensors: pass
        fuel evaporate controls functional: pass

ASM Emission test results:
        HC (ppm)
        15mph MAX: 148 GP: 324 MEAS: 261
        25mph MAX: 86 GP: 274 Meas: 100

CO (%)
        15mph MAX: 0.62 GP: 2.39 MEAS: 0.59
        25mph MAX: 0.48 GP: 2.19 MEAS: 0.04

NO (ppm)

15mph MAX: 834 AVE: 2231 GP: 2906
        25mph MAX: 715 AVE: 2031 GP: 2325

alright so one catalytic converter later and i re-smogged my car
        I also swapped in the new radiator and added a electric fan to a toggle switch

second smog results(only showing what i failed):
        comprehensive visual inspection: tamper
        functional check: fail
        emissions check: fail

emission control systems visual inspection/functional check results:

wiring to sensors: modified ( i dont get this one...unless its my fan switch?)
        fuel evaporate controls functional: fail
        OBD systems check: fail (this one throw me off cause the other places didnt check this)

ASM Emission test results:
        i passed all except
        ( no (ppm) )
        15mph max: 834 ave: 471 Meas: 1753
        25mph max: 715 ave: 379 Meas: 1672

Comment

Working...
        X