No announcement yet.

M30 turbo rebuild thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where did you get that intercooler!! I need one!
    sigpic

Comment

Wow you have no idea how happy I am to see you started a new m30 thread haha I just read your entire college build thread and it was amazing. My neighbor just crashed her e34 with a b35 so I going to see if she'll sell me the engine (complete rebuilt m30 b35 with only 20,000 on the rebuild) 120,000 on the engine total. And it has the 5 speed trans. (Rare) I hope everything works put for you because I'm tired of everybody switching to an M5x/S5x. It just has no comparison to an m30
      sigpic

Originally posted by whiltebeitel
      Has anyone told you your car sounds like secks? Big, manly, hairy sex, that is. None of that wussy romantic "making love" crap, either.

Comment

Where did you get that intercooler!! I need one!
        I got it on eBay. It was $100. I might be getting rid of it.

Wow you have no idea how happy I am to see you started a new m30 thread haha I just read your entire college build thread and it was amazing. My neighbor just crashed her e34 with a b35 so I going to see if she'll sell me the engine (complete rebuilt m30 b35 with only 20,000 on the rebuild) 120,000 on the engine total. And it has the 5 speed trans. (Rare) I hope everything works put for you because I'm tired of everybody switching to an M5x/S5x. It just has no comparison to an m30
        That's great (well not for your neighbor). Yeah I'm also more fond of the M30s, and they are so cheap and available. There's 2 different junkyards here in victorville and each one has at least 5 M30's. I'm glad you enjoyed the build thread, I think I asked a lot of stupid questions that others didn't want to ask, haha.
        '86 E30
        '05 E53 X5
        '72 Firebird
        '10 Prius
        '03 Tundra

Comment

Wow that's awesome haha I've never really payed attention to any e34s here in Chicago because I've always gone for the e30s at the junk yards. I really hope I get this engine and trans. Do you happen to know which DS I have to use for the e30 if I have an e34 b35 with stock 5speed? I have access to her drive shaft too and I really don't want to pay for DS modification
          sigpic

Originally posted by whiltebeitel
          Has anyone told you your car sounds like secks? Big, manly, hairy sex, that is. None of that wussy romantic "making love" crap, either.

Comment

exhaust 4 u maybe.

Comment

exhaust 4 u maybe.
              Ahh yes. I would like a nice stock exhaust. I dont know about $300 for that though.

I have the m30 downpipes all the way to the stock x-pipe (where the o2 is) installed. From there I was going to buy a 325i CA cat and do a single 2.5 magnaflow resonator+muffler after that. But that will also be pricier.
              Last edited by JoeMadoo; 02-07-2013, 06:40 PM.
              '86 E30
              '05 E53 X5
              '72 Firebird
              '10 Prius
              '03 Tundra

Comment

Here's the first start. Ran surprisingly smooth. I'm using the 19" Mustang Injectors and stockish plugs (my turbo plugs were colder).

Now that I know it works in stock form it's time to clean everything up. This includes:
                • Re-wrap the harness and add a few wires and connectors for my VDO senders.
                • Fit the stock M30 air box and move my coil somewhere.
                • Going to get a stock cluster or M3 cluster (I have an A/F gauge in-place of the water temp gauge, might look suspicious)
                • Need to get the rest of the exhaust system (Might get the one in San Diego)
                • Need a stock o2 sensor
                • E-fan install with some type of thermostat
                • Fix broken shifter
                • Headlight re-wire with relays.
                • Want to get a white e30 trunk with no holes

Last edited by JoeMadoo; 02-10-2013, 11:29 AM. Reason: spelling
                '86 E30
                '05 E53 X5
                '72 Firebird
                '10 Prius
                '03 Tundra

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMadoo View Post
                  Ahh yes. I would like a nice stock exhaust. I dont know about $300 for that though.

I have the m30 downpipes all the way to the stock x-pipe (where the o2 is) installed. From there I was going to buy a 325i CA cat and do a single 2.5 magnaflow resonator+muffler after that. But that will also be pricier.
                  I don't know if the 325i cat is going to work. I had to buy a CA 535i cat and the BAR referee actually checked the number of the cat so it matched the engine. I'm just saying.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the info. I looked on magnaflow's website, and it had the same size cat for both motors. The only difference seemed to be the configuration (2-in, 2-out instead of 2-in, 1 out).
                    '86 E30
                    '05 E53 X5
                    '72 Firebird
                    '10 Prius
                    '03 Tundra

Comment

Do you guys think a Magnaflow California cat will be acceptable? Having to find or buy the OEM e34 cat seems a little ridiculous. I know you can scrap them for $300 I can't image how much a nice used one or a new one would cost :/
                      '86 E30
                      '05 E53 X5
                      '72 Firebird
                      '10 Prius
                      '03 Tundra

Comment

I'm not sure just how much engine size a standard CA cat is designed to handle, but worst case scenario you weld 2 in series then take one off after inspection :)

Comment

Yeah, that would be one of the worse cases. Well these cats are designed for these motors. I will probably just get the Magnaflow 535i cat since it's CARB approved for that motor, just to be safe. It will be a little harder to route that the one from the 325i.

I made a thread in the exhaust section.
                          '86 E30
                          '05 E53 X5
                          '72 Firebird
                          '10 Prius
                          '03 Tundra

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                            I'm not sure just how much engine size a standard CA cat is designed to handle, but worst case scenario you weld 2 in series then take one off after inspection :)
                            That won't work. It wouldn't pas the visual portion.

Joe, you're best off buying Walker or Magnaflow cats and doing it your way.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMadoo View Post
                              Do you guys think a Magnaflow California cat will be acceptable? Having to find or buy the OEM e34 cat seems a little ridiculous. I know you can scrap them for $300 I can't image how much a nice used one or a new one would cost :/
                              Just get a 535i California cat. I got a Catco and I passed with no issues. Visual and the sniffer. I guess I will find out about the longevity of the cat next smog test.

Comment

Nice, glad to hear it. I got my magnaflow in the mail yesterday. Once I find a muffler I will get the exhaust made
                                '86 E30
                                '05 E53 X5
                                '72 Firebird
                                '10 Prius
                                '03 Tundra

Comment

Working...
                                X