Clear All

Great looking car!
    Gabe
    '91 318is

Comment

I absolutely love that color!
      Bmw CCA # 490080

1995 525iA RIP
      1987 325e Cirrusblau-Metallic/Pacific Blue (Daily)

DSC_1725 by Matthew Johnson, on Flickr

Comment

Bought some things!

16x8 Klutch SL1s, in 205/50 Federal 595EVO.
        Not the greatest colour combo in the world, but it's grown on me a lot.

sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Skip the E36/Z3 rack and go straight for an E46 rack. You'll need E36 tie rod ends though.

Comment

awesome work - love your thread title. I'm the same way, figure out the money later.. you'll be fine in the end..
            91 DS S52 Slicktop, 91 Calypso M42, 89 Royalblau M20, 84 Bahama Beige 323i, M535, Euro e24, ap1

www.RenownUSA.com
            ig @RenownUSA / @rude.scott

Comment

Originally posted by Hooffenstein HD View Post
              Skip the E36/Z3 rack and go straight for an E46 rack. You'll need E36 tie rod ends though.
              That's where I'm going. What do you have to do for the linkage? Same as Z3 swap?

Originally posted by animal View Post
              awesome work - love your thread title. I'm the same way, figure out the money later.. you'll be fine in the end..
              I'm in a better place than I was before, with an actual income now. So lots of things are planned for this car.
              Cannot wait to see how it drives once it's done
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hooffenstein HD View Post
                Why is that? Do you have experience with both? I was planning on ordering a Z3 rack next month...

Comment

Hnnnnnggggg Lazur Blau.

Ship it across the ditch to me pls.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
                  RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                    Why is that? Do you have experience with both? I was planning on ordering a Z3 rack next month...
                    From what I understand the Z3 rack is a little much for the highway, and the E46 clubsport rack is a couple points slower lock to lock which makes it nicer for high speed driving, but is still easily fast enough for hard cornering
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                      Lock to lock is pretty much irrelevant. You need to look at travel per rotation. Standard(not Sport) E46 is right on 50mm, which is much more than the E36, slightly less than the Z3. The problem is Z3's aren't all that common in Australia and a rack will either set you back a good chunk of coin, or you'll just be shipped a regular E36 rack. They're interchangeable so as far as most wreckers are concerned they're the same thing.

E46's are everywhere, the racks will generally be newer and in better condition if you're pulling one at the junk yard.

Originally posted by econti View Post
                      That's where I'm going. What do you have to do for the linkage? Same as Z3 swap?
                      The RHD links don't need any interesting set up, usually a custom steering coupling made to the right width and bolt spacing is all that's required.

I chose to ditch the E30 style shaft though and use the XC Barina/Vauxhall Corsa C steering shaft to get some more room in the bay for headers, or a turbo dump.

Last edited by Hooffenstein HD; 11-20-2014, 01:40 AM.

Comment

OK. So, I've been doing some thinking.
                        Apologies if post turns out to be long winded.

So the thing that I wanted to work out, was what I actually wanted the car to be.
                        I love driving fast, want to try drifting, but I also enjoy long road trips.
                        So, I'm now on a mission to create the ultimate all-round E30.
                        Track work, grand touring, technical windy roads, drifting, road trips. The car has to do all of them.
                        At the moment I have a decent income and don't spend it on anything aside from a gym membership. So I figure there are only a few times in your life that you can dump money into cars, and this is one of them. Cars for me are my biggest passion, and if any of you knew me in person you'd realise how I talk about almost nothing else lol.

With that in mind, I've started building up a parts list.
                        Note that this will change on a regular basis.
                        I'll need a strut brace, E46 steering rack, LSD, driveshaft with good unis, guibo, centre bearing, short shifter, big brakes front and rear (probably RX7 as someone's selling some good second hand ones), Fortune Auto 500 coils, and numerous other things, with the final piece for the puzzle being a turbo M42 with a GT2560 on the side aiming for at least 250hp.

The thing that I need help with, however, is the interior. Just not sure what direction to take.
                        With that in mind, I've got a few pics of ideas that I'm considering, and I'd like your input on what would be best.
                        I already have sports seats in bad condition that need a retrim. Steering wheel would be this in 330mm as I love the design:

Option 1: Diamond stitch.
                        This, except in a black or dark grey, and only door cards and seats done.

Option 2: pattern retrim
                        This except in the blue/green that the iS has.

Option 3: Stripped
                        Bucket seat, 4 point harness, half cage.
                        The car I used to daily had no doors and interior at all, and I enjoy it. So comfort isn't a huge problem.

Option 5: Retrim
                        Basically this exactly. Except with the Nardi wheel as I flat out refuse to use a fake steering wheel.
                        This one's my favourite.
                        (what door cards are these? M3?)
                        sigpic

Comment

I vote for the Diamond Stitch. That shit is sexy.
                          sigpic
                          1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
                          I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

330mm is too small for a daily, you won't be able to see your gauges. I'd stick to 350mm.

One other thing to consider is that Nardi steering wheels require an adaptor since they use their own bolt pattern. This will put the steering wheel closer to you which may, or may not be a problem depending on the design/dish of the wheel.
                            Last edited by Hooffenstein HD; 12-04-2014, 06:57 PM.

Comment

I had a feel with a 350, and it doesn't feel quite right. But it won't be final, I can of course always change the wheel if it's too small. Plenty of people wanting to swap between them
                              sigpic

Comment

I vote option two. I love plaid
                                Bmw CCA # 490080

1995 525iA RIP
                                1987 325e Cirrusblau-Metallic/Pacific Blue (Daily)

DSC_1725 by Matthew Johnson, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X