E30 S54 Swap AC signal input to DME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diesekte View Post
    I sent this to Garry but I will post here as I am waiting for a response and I want to see if anyone else has any ideas:

I also have the lighter JE pistons too. Is it possible even with the controller the ltfw and pistons just drop the revs too quickly?
    If I feel a stall coming and put it in neutral real fast and slam on the gas it sometimes saves it after about 2 seconds of the pedal totally depressed, but sometimes it doesn't, and I'm always afraid I won't get out of fear fast enough and will slam into something so I don't so this often
    Sending PM

Comment

I sent a pm and am waiting for a response also - any way to test the module to ensure it is giving the DME a proper signal through CANBUS?
      Brian
      Used BMW Parts!!

Comment

Originally posted by M3Driver View Post
        I sent a pm and am waiting for a response also - any way to test the module to ensure it is giving the DME a proper signal through CANBUS?
        PM replied. For anyone interested:

The easiest CAN test would be the CEL. Do you have it hooked up? If so, it should be on when the key is turned to run without starting the engine.

Comment

hey gary, im having some issues with your CANbox, could you PM me?

Comment

Originally posted by brokeazz View Post
            hey gary, im having some issues with your CANbox, could you PM me?
            Sorry for the delay, will go through PMs now.

Comment

I have another thread in this subforum about my car throwing codes after just sitting with battery disconnected for a few months which obviously shouldn't really cause any issues. The only thing I changed in this time was adding the CAN box. The car now drives terribly (no power, sluggish, etc) and I now get these codes:

P0117 - power train, engine coolant temp circuit low input
              P0012 - power train, camshaft position actuator A - bank 1 - timing over retarded
              P0340 - power train, camshaft position sensor A - bank 1 circuit malfunction
              C2500 - chassis
              P1700 - power train

The cam sensor has less than 3k miles on it and I never messed with the timing which was known to be good beforehand.
              Any insight about the CAN box potentially causing these? The P0117 and C2500 code shouldn't even exist on an S54 E30. I had the ECU tuned by Markert so it should be good, and ended up sending it back to them so they can hopefully troubleshoot.

Comment

I have another thread in this subforum about my car throwing codes after just sitting with battery disconnected for a few months which obviously shouldn't really cause any issues. The only thing I changed in this time was adding the CAN box. The car now drives terribly (no power, sluggish, etc) and I now get these codes:

P0117 - power train, engine coolant temp circuit low input
                P0012 - power train, camshaft position actuator A - bank 1 - timing over retarded
                P0340 - power train, camshaft position sensor A - bank 1 circuit malfunction
                C2500 - chassis
                P1700 - power train

The cam sensor has less than 3k miles on it and I never messed with the timing which was known to be good beforehand.
                Any insight about the CAN box potentially causing these? The P0117 and C2500 code shouldn't even exist on an S54 E30. I had the ECU tuned by Markert so it should be good, and ended up sending it back to them so they can hopefully troubleshoot.
                I don't see any possible way the CAN board could cause those codes. Maybe you should remove the CAN board, clear codes, and see if they return.

Comment

Does anyone use pin 7 (gray)? Cleaning up my wiring and it doesn't make sense. I have the E36 style pressure switch as I am converted to r134, and I have to have a jumper wire between the two wires coming off of it or my compressor doesn't cycle on.

Is there a way to hook this up where I have the can controller controlling the AC/ECU stuff, as well as running my main electric (not aux) fan off the yellow wire wired to a second relay separate from the AC relay (I assume you need separate ones) without using the E46 pressure switch and fan controller or no?

Currently I have a standard parts store relay controlling my main fan that uses one of those push through radiator snap switches on 185 off 165. It is wired like:
                  30 constant 12v
                  86 ground
                  85 snap switch and AC clutch (so AC on will override and cycle fan regardless of temp)
                  87 fan motor

The above configuration has lead to a rats nest of wires by the compressor I would like to simplify. I can't seem to find any instructions for E30 using an E36 pressure switch. If you wire it like a "regular" E30 the AC doesn't work.

Additionally in one of the previous posts, Garry said "The relay will not be connected to the CAN interface as it is the DME's job to control the compressor clutch via X6004 pin 30."
                  However, X6004 pin 30 on all S54 up to 2004 at least is for "signal leakage diagnosis pump"/diagnostic module, fuel tank leakage.
                  Last edited by diesekte; 11-12-2017, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Does anyone use pin 7 (gray)? Cleaning up my wiring and it doesn't make sense. I have the E36 style pressure switch as I am converted to r134, and I have to have a jumper wire between the two wires coming off of it or my compressor doesn't cycle on.
                    That wire is only for E36 installations, you can de-pin it (requires special tool) or just cut it very short.

Is there a way to hook this up where I have the can controller controlling the AC/ECU stuff, as well as running my main electric (not aux) fan off the yellow wire wired to a second relay separate from the AC relay (I assume you need separate ones) without using the E46 pressure switch and fan controller or no?
                    Yes, the CAN board will provide ground for a relay on that pin. It doesn't care if the fan is for aux or primary purpose. I can provide a file for you to re-flash the board if you want to change the on/off temperatures.

I can't seem to find any instructions for E30 using an E36 pressure switch. If you wire it like a "regular" E30 the AC doesn't work.
                    Hmm... shouldn't be different. We should discuss over PM, I can create an E30 installation schematic to clear things up.

Additionally in one of the previous posts, Garry said "The relay will not be connected to the CAN interface as it is the DME's job to control the compressor clutch via X6004 pin 30."
                    However, X6004 pin 30 on all S54 up to 2004 at least is for "signal leakage diagnosis pump"/diagnostic module, fuel tank leakage.
                    Sorry about the mixup there, it is pin 29. The google doc with instructions & diagram have it listed correctly as pin 29.

Comment

Does anyone use the CAN board to also control their main engine (not aux) electric fan? I need instructions on how to set up a separate relay to do so.

Would it be:

30: 12v constant
                      86: ground
                      85: CAN pin 9 (yellow)
                      87: fan

Or would it be:
                      86: CAN pin 9 (yellow)
                      85: 12v switched

I am guessing it is the second way bc previously when I asked about setting this relay up for main fan control, Garry said: "the CAN board will provide ground for a relay on that pin."

I am also confused why on the official instruction PDF for the CAN board, it says to wire the AC relay with pin 86 and pin 30 both connected to 12v switched. Shouldn't one be to 12v constant??? I mean it explicitly says to connect one of the pins to 12v constant and one to 12 switched in reply #118 (by Garry) in this thread.

Additionally, the (current?) official PDF instructions say for the AC relay to be wired as:
                      86: 12v switched
                      85: x6004 pin 29
                      30: 12v switched
                      87: AC compressor

However, earlier in this thread someone asked Garry if it should be:
                      Pin 30 = switched power
                      Pin 85 = switched power
                      Pin 86 = DME ground (pin 29 on x60004)
                      Pin 87 = Compressor clutch
                      Which is obviously different, and he said that this was correct. So which one is it???

In regards to the c110 referenced elsewhere in this thread (the E30 body side wire that plugged into the compressor), does the green CAN board pin 4 plug into that only, to the compressor only, or does it just splice in so all 3 things are connected? What EXACTLY does the CAN board pin 4 (green) connect to? The instructions say AC compressor, but they also say the added AC relay pin 87 should be connected to the compressor...so is it both? This doesn't make any sense.

I'm reaching out to anyone out there that has any idea or can post their setup. Throughout this entire ordeal I have not gotten timely replies to PMs and only get on average 1 or 2 of the multiple questions I ask answered or half answered.

While I did have some stalling issues before, this CAN board has been a huge mistake tbh as it has done nothing but cost me $250 and tons of hours of essentially solo troubleshooting.

This should've been an afternoon install AT BEST and has turned into many months of frustration and uncertainty because honestly the instructions are all over the place, my board came pinned incorrectly, and the support has been lacking. I want to sell my E30 and this is actually the only thing holding me up.
                      Last edited by diesekte; 02-18-2018, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Note to anyone else reading: he has the older board with the white connector and its pinout is different than the newer black/MQS one.

Does anyone use the CAN board to also control their main engine (not aux) electric fan? I need instructions on how to set up a separate relay to do so.

Would it be:

Or would it be:

I am guessing it is the second way bc previously when I asked about setting this relay up for main fan control, Garry said: "the CAN board will provide ground for a relay on that pin."

I am also confused why on the official instruction PDF for the CAN board, it says to wire the AC relay with pin 86 and pin 30 both connected to 12v switched. Shouldn't one be to 12v constant??? I mean it explicitly says to connect one of the pins to 12v constant and one to 12 switched in reply #118 (by Garry) in this thread.
                        It would be the 2nd. As far as 12v constant or switched - it really doesn't matter. The CAN board's output will only ground that pin when it is powered (ignition on).

Additionally, the (current?) official PDF instructions say for the AC relay to be wired as:

Pin 30 = switched power
                        Pin 85 = switched power
                        Which is obviously different, and he said that this was correct. So which one is it???
                        The only difference there is 85 & 86 and those are the two sides of the coil. The 100% proper way is 12v to 86 and ground to 85, but it doesn't matter unless the relay has a suppression diode.

In regards to the c110 referenced elsewhere in this thread (the E30 body side wire that plugged into the compressor), does the green CAN board pin 4 plug into that only, to the compressor only, or does it just splice in so all 3 things are connected? What EXACTLY does the CAN board pin 4 (green) connect to? The instructions say AC compressor, but they also say the added AC relay pin 87 should be connected to the compressor...so is it both? This doesn't make any sense.
                        Pin 4 on your board is the E30-style (positive) A/C evap/compressor input. It should receive 12v when the evap temp sensor is within range and the pressure sensor is within range. You basically disconnect the wire that used to run to your compressor clutch and it connect it to the CAN board.

I'm reaching out to anyone out there that has any idea or can post their setup. Throughout this entire ordeal I have not gotten timely replies to PMs and only get on average 1 or 2 of the multiple questions I ask answered or half answered.

While I did have some stalling issues before, this CAN board has been a huge mistake tbh as it has done nothing but cost me $250 and tons of hours of essentially solo troubleshooting.

This should've been an afternoon install AT BEST and has turned into many months of frustration and uncertainty because honestly the instructions are all over the place, my board came pinned incorrectly, and the support has been lacking. I want to sell my E30 and this is actually the only thing holding me up.
                        I'm sorry I haven't replied to your latest PM, I hadn't visited r3v in a while. If the above info does not clear things up please PM me and I'll reply as quickly as I can.

Update: just read your PM and see other questions, will reply now.

Comment

Would it be:

Or would it be:

Pin 30 = switched power
                          Pin 85 = switched power

Why go through all that trouble? the DME can control the fan directly. All you need is the fan relay which can be cut off any E46 or similar fan. It takes a PWM signal from the DME, you supply it power/ground and runs the fan based on a map which can easily be altered to suit your needs.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                            Why go through all that trouble? the DME can control the fan directly. All you need is the fan relay which can be cut off any E46 or similar fan. It takes a PWM signal from the DME, you supply it power/ground and runs the fan based on a map which can easily be altered to suit your needs.
                            That is what I did for one of my fans, but I believe it requires the additional coolant temp sensor in the lower radiator hose (which I installed as well). See last pics at https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...1&postcount=15
                            Last edited by gpeterson; 02-20-2018, 01:38 PM.

Comment

For those wiring up the CEL:

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
                                For those wiring up the CEL:

Can Tyler's harness light the CEL up? I have both his harness and the CAN BUS.
                                Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Working...
                                X