Need help if window buttons are correct on 1990 vert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help if window buttons are correct on 1990 vert

I just got this car, a 1990 325i convertible, a few months ago as a project car. I haven't started on the big parts of the project yet, like turning the m20, until after the house move is completed, but in the meantime I was looking to verify/ correct a few small things on the car. Since I have been having difficulty finding views on the window buttons on the console, I am curious if this console setup looks correct. I have a button on the upper right portion, which has the face scrubbed off. I have no idea what the function of it is, if it related to something which doesn't work, or if it needs to be deleted and a new console ordered?

Any other car, I would have torn into it by now and started getting my own answers, but things on this car have been unusually brittle, and some parts are no longer available.

Is the console available? I haven't looked yet as I'm at Starbucks with a lousy connection while the realtor is showing the house. If it is hard to get, then I'm assuming that I have E36 window switches, because they are backlit constantly. The PO just drove the car daily, according to him, and has no real knowledge of the car.

I'm assuming I have to replace the console, with one that doesn't have the extra button holes, rewire whatever mess is underneath, and settle for buttons that are not backlit, or add additional wiring and/ or possible fuses to display the lights when the headlights are on. Your thoughts?

BTW, I'm hoping I have a wrong answer as that is generally the quickest way to get the right answer.

Your car sounds fine!

The extra button on the upper right is a window circuit breaker. For whatever reason, the graphic on that is always the first to go, regardless of whether that switch was in the center dash (earlier models) or on the consoles.

I don't see your picture, but both E30 and E36 window switches are backlit. I have cars with both. The purist in me likes the older E30 style switches, but the E36 switches are a nice upgrade and a bit less finicky. Can't remember if the switch bulbs are replaceable or not.

Google "E30 console" for pictures

The E30 collection:
    1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
    1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
    1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
    1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
    1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
    1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
    1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
    2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
    2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Working...
    X