Looking for clarification on the cluster temp sensor and the fan switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for clarification on the cluster temp sensor and the fan switch

First, I have no coolant temperature coming to my cluster. The cluster has been refurbished and is known to be fully functional. I have the M20 temp sensor in a Texhnica water pipe adapter, and I'm thinking that it's not adequately grounded since the water pipe has o-rings on either end. I plan on adding a ground wire to test the theory, but maybe someone can confirm or deny this?

Next, I'm using an aluminum e36 radiator with my swap. It has a port on the passenger side for the fan switch, but the plug it shipped with has a rubber o-ring and the E30 fan switch has a crush washer. Should I be ok to swap them out, or do I need a different fan switch? I want to use the E46 fan module and I have the hardware to do it, but was hoping to delay the wiring adventure until after the car is running reliably. I tried turning the fans on with the AC button, which used to work, but now only the stock Aux fan comes on and my SPAL puller doesn't respond. Any thoughts on this are much appreciated.

I also use the Technica water pipe adapter and have grounded the base of the temp sensor by drilling a whole through it with a safety wire drill guide. Then wired to the closest nut on the block for a good ground, in my case the ICV holder.

Also using a Mishimoto E36 Rad, and crush washer as you see.

Not sure how you wired up the Spal Puller.... Are you using GPetersens CAN board?

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
      I also use the Technica water pipe adapter and have grounded the base of the temp sensor by drilling a whole through it with a safety wire drill guide. Then wired to the closest nut on the block for a good ground, in my case the ICV holder.

Also using a Mishimoto E36 Rad, and crush washer as you see.

Not sure how you wired up the Spal Puller.... Are you using GPetersens CAN board?
      Thanks for the info.

I swapped an S50 into the car 6 years ago, and at that time I wired the Spal fan off the Aux circuit, for basic functionality and turning on via the A/C button. I do have the GPeterson CAN board, at the moment just for the check engine light. I took the PWM fan module from the E46 M3 donor car, but in an effort to get the car running I haven't put it to use yet, figuring the fans would work like they did with my S50 setup.

Comment

Get in contact with gpetersen. He probably needs to give you new firmware/settings.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X