No announcement yet.

Finally getting myself an e30! Critique my Mod Plans:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless you find something used, I don't think you are going to replace your seats for $800 with anything from Sparco/Corbeau/Recaro/et al. By the time you locate something for a good price, (probably) have them shipped and purchase bases that will direct bolt into the E30 you are going to be into them for way more than $800. Unless you are only planning on doing the drivers seat.

My wifes car came with Potenzas (not sure which model). They are fine tires but cost way too much IMO (had to replace one due to a flat) and do not offer a ton of grip. They wore very evenly though on our Impreza. For my money I'd buy something else.

Comment

Okay, based on continued research, input, etc., below is my almost-finished list. Things I'm still not positive on are:

-) the front bumper and any addons involved with that
      -) seeking a less expensive but good looking alternative to the $400 smoked tails
      -) I think I've decided on seats, but looking for reviews.
      -) not settled for sure on H&R sports vs. other springs
      -) haven't decided on 5-lug swap: My Thread
      -) haven't decided on Diff ratio: My Thread
      -) haven't decided if I want to go with a more significant upgrade for brakes

Exterior - $2480:
      Front Bumper: IS or M-tech $200
      Rear Bumper: stock
      Skirts: IS skirts $120
      Headlights: Euro Smileys $500
      Bulbs: Osram H1 x 4 + Osram H3 X 2 $100
      Taillights: MHW Smoked $400
      Turn Signals: MHW Smoked$40
      Tint: 35% all around $200
      Other: Euro Trim/Mouldings $120, Euro Plate Filler in back $40, Euro grills $70, Black Kidneys $40, Shadowlining $20, Stubby Antenna $30, Debadge, Paint for new panels $600

Interior - $950:
      Seats: Corbeau GTS II's in Black Suede $800
      Steering Wheel Cover: Wheelskins Black Original $50
      Shift Knob: Momo tall anatomic (black) $50
      Ebrake Handle: e36 M3 Leather $30
      Other: e36 window switches $20

Suspension - $1725+install:
      Shocks/Springs: H&R Sports/Koni Yellows $735
      Sways: Suspension Techniques Sway Bars with Reinforcement Kit $400
      Strut bar: IE Front Strut Brace $120
      Camber plates: Vorshlag $235
      Other: Treehouse Racing Eyeball bushings $190, IE Subframe Bushings $45, suspension install $??

Engine - $770:
      Complete Refresh: Valve Job/Timing Belt $500
      Appearance: Paint Valve Cover and Intake Manifold $20
      Software: Conforti $250

Misc - $400:
      SSK: Z4 SSK + Linkage rebuild $100
      LSD: OEM 3.25 (or 3.73) LSD $300

Wheels/Tires/Brakes - $1060:
      Wheels: 16X7 ASA EM9 $520
      Tires: General Exclaim UHP (or alternative) 16/50/225 $330
      Brakes: Stainless braided lines and ATE 200 fluid $100, Hawk HPS Pads $110
      Other (5-lug, etc?): 5-lug swap?

Electronics/Technology/Information - $2390:

Alarm/Remote Entry: AG Alarm/Keyless without remote $100
      Radar Detector: Valentine 1 hardwired $500
      Police Scanner:
      Uniden BCT-8 Hardwired w/Glass Mount Antennae $225
      CB Radio:
      Uniden PRO520XL $65
      Navigation: Nuvi 660 $600
      Sound Deadening: Second Skin $500
      Sound System: From current 328i (only need new wiring and new door clipis) $100
      Gauges:
      VDO
      oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, voltage + wiring/senders + brackets $300

Total Estimated: $9775+suspension install
      Last edited by Ahheck01; 05-22-2007, 01:40 AM.
      1992 525i 5speed: Sold :: 1996 328i 5speed: Sold :: 1997 540i 6speed: Sold :: 1995 M3ti 5speed: Sold :: 1997 328i 5speed: Sold ::

Comment

I think you should be spending more on rims & tires than anything else, followed by suspension. Your rim & tire choice sucks.

As far as the headlights, I think $500 is a waste on euro ellips when US ellips are $50-100 and almost as good. Ditch spending $100 on Osrams and spend $100 more for HID's.

Steering wheel covers are lame, I would at least go for a Momo 350mm and a hub, about $150-200 for both brand new.

With H&R Sports you really don't need to buy camber plates. Tire wear won't be an issue and with the minimum track use the car will see (the car will be a DD 95% of the time based on your post), the money could better be spent elsewhere. Same with the 5 lug conversion, there is really no point.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Waste of time planning this out so far ahead if you're planning on doing this over the next three+ years. Your tastes may and probably will completely change. I know mine did when I built my GTI over 5 years.

At this point throwing 10k at an E30 seems ridiculous to me. Might as well just get a loan and buy something that's already got a lot of the features you're looking to throw at the E30.
          . . .
          Erik

Comment

If you get new non stock seats, please don't get Corbeaus. Cobra/Sparco/Recaro/etc. all make excellent seats; Corbeau does not.

Comment

$2390 on electronics, police scanner, navi?:neutral:

Comment

Originally posted by Ahheck01 View Post
                Eventually, one thing I didn't include is the aluminum block M52 converted to OBD1. That's where to GO comes from, but that's last.
                -Evan
                M52 FTMFL :hitler: Go with an M50 or S50. M50 = about 5 hp less, but no OBD1 conversion = much cheaper. If you got some spare cash then go S50.

As everyone else said you will want good tires, suspension and the chip before anything else. Well the seats because you are tall.
                Originally posted by KingB
                Scratch my back and I buy a prostitute for you, to rub your balls. HAHA now thats some funny shit.

Comment

Originally posted by egk2 View Post
                  $2390 on electronics, police scanner, navi?:neutral:
                  I'm a bit of a geek, but honestly, I make several long trips, and they tend to be at high speeds. This setup is actually inspired by Team Polizei's gumball ralley setup in their e39 M5:

The nav system also functions as a handsfree for my cell phone, can let me know how traffic is should I move to a busier city (likely), play MP3's and audiobooks over my stereo (also a caller's voice) and mutes it to give directions over the stereo, etc. The police scanner only comes with me on trips. the CB would only get used on trips (but given its compact size, will likely be hardwired in).

The sound deadening is by second skin audio (best money can buy) and will not add much weight. In fact, as far as the trunk, it'll be replacing the tar with something lighter, but more effective. This is there to improve sound quality and ride quietness, while making the doors shut far more solidly and the car sound more solid.

Admittedly, I'm going to have a hard time justifying my 2X10"w3's in the trunk of an e30. Anyone want a JL 10w3? I'll trade+cash it to you if you give me a single 10" box?

-Evan
                  1992 525i 5speed: Sold :: 1996 328i 5speed: Sold :: 1997 540i 6speed: Sold :: 1995 M3ti 5speed: Sold :: 1997 328i 5speed: Sold ::

Comment

I have plenty of people criticizing my wheel and tire choice, but no specific alternatives offered. I would like to spend not much more than $1k on both, if possible. What do you suggest?

-Evan

Comment

Originally posted by HST View Post
                      M52 FTMFL :hitler: Go with an M50 or S50. M50 = about 5 hp less, but no OBD1 conversion = much cheaper. If you got some spare cash then go S50.

As everyone else said you will want good tires, suspension and the chip before anything else. Well the seats because you are tall.
                      You are saying an M52 sucks because you have to convert to OBDI? After the conversion, with minor bolt ons, you are at S50 power. And then think about the fact that a guy on Bimmerforums made 750rwhp on an ALL STOCK internal turbo M52, it is quite a kick ass motor.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahheck01 View Post
                        I have plenty of people criticizing my wheel and tire choice, but no specific alternatives offered. I would like to spend not much more than $1k on both, if possible. What do you suggest?

-Evan

Your spending $10K to upgrade an e30. Your budget for this should be much larger.
                        sigpic

Comment

Your spending $10K to upgrade an e30. Your budget for this should be much larger.
                          I think what you really need to decide is: Do you want it to be pretty, or do you want to enhance the driving experience? Which one is the priority? At first glance you want it to be pretty and have tech goodies first. Personally, I'd go in the order of suspension, wheel and tires, brakes, motor, exterior, interior, then stereo and other stuff... It just makes the most sense from a driving standpoint.
                          '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                            You are saying an M52 sucks because you have to convert to OBDI? After the conversion, with minor bolt ons, you are at S50 power. And then think about the fact that a guy on Bimmerforums made 750rwhp on an ALL STOCK internal turbo M52, it is quite a kick ass motor.
                            That, and the fact that the aluminum block M52 actually is LIGHTER than the M20, so you don't have that downside to the swap :D

Comment

Working...
                            X