Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Wont Idle

Hey All,

My car stalled out just as I was pulling in the driveway yesterday - and after re-starting her, she wont idle. If I keep my foot on the gas to keep the RPM above idle and she'll run fine, but as soon as I put her in neutral or let the r3vs drop, she'll stall.

I'm thinking it's the Idle Control Valve, what do you guys think? When the ICV goes bad, does it go bad suddenly or are there sign that it's going south? She was idling fine up until yesterday evening...

Any advice is appreciated.

Mark
    I Timothy 2:1-2

I would pull it off and make sure the ICV is clean, freely moves and not gunked up. If not I would order a replacement.
    :: PNW Crew ::
    '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Originally posted by backtrail69 View Post
      I would pull it off and make sure the ICV is clean, freely moves and not gunked up. If not I would order a replacement.
      I just cleaned the ICV and tightened one vacuum hose that seemed a little loose, but still no luck. Do ICVs go bad without warning?

Comment

Do you have any big tears in the intake boot? Usually they will act up from time to time, but they, don't usually just die. I guess it is possible.
        :: PNW Crew ::
        '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Originally posted by backtrail69 View Post
          Do you have any big tears in the intake boot? Usually they will act up from time to time, but they, don't usually just die. I guess it is possible.
          The intake boot seems to be in really good shape - very pliable and soft, not dry at all...

Comment

Bullet unplugged the DME, let it rest for 10 minutes, plugged it back in, and now everything is cool. No vacuum leaks, no prob with the ICV...

Comment

Mine is chugging like this right now too. Testing the ICV tomorrow, well swapping another one in because I got no change in running when I just unplugged mine, woot.

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
              HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
              **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

Working...
              X