M60 Fuel Filter and Charcoal Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M60 Fuel Filter and Charcoal Questions

My 85 325e has the fuel filter in the engine bay about five inches of hose away from the hardlines coming up the driver's side. I'm going to guess I need to move that, right? If so, where to?

I'm also confused on plumbing the charcoal canister if any of you can offer clarification.

It looks like the e34 m60 charcoal canister is up under the driver headlight, and has a hose system coming from the passenger side of the throttle body. Frank's swap guide says to place the charcoal canister under the battery tray of the e30. Do i need to run a hose from the throttle body to the rear of the engine bay?

Thanks gents.

Originally posted by ArtFoodBMW View Post
    My 85 325e has the fuel filter in the engine bay about five inches of hose away from the hardlines coming up the driver's side. I'm going to guess I need to move that, right? If so, where to?

I'm also confused on plumbing the charcoal canister if any of you can offer clarification.

It looks like the e34 m60 charcoal canister is up under the driver headlight, and has a hose system coming from the passenger side of the throttle body. Frank's swap guide says to place the charcoal canister under the battery tray of the e30. Do i need to run a hose from the throttle body to the rear of the engine bay?

Thanks gents.

Get this setup from another E30 with a high pressure inline pump. You might already have the mount for the filter under the drivers rear quarter.

As for the charcoal canister just delete it it put a small air filter on the vent line coming from the tank. Preferably as far away from your exhaust as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think the charcoal canister just needs engine vacuum regardless of where you get it from.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
      Transaction feedback
      - jpod999

Comment

For future reference for anyone working on an early 325e (or 318is because they have the fuel filter in the engine bay too)

I looked around town and couldn't find any late model fuel filter setups to get parts off of. It looks like BMW designed it so I could just install my fuel filter next to the fuel pump. So that's what I did.

Looked under my car and this is the order of things:
        Tank -> Fuel pump -> Soft hose -> Dual Male connector -> Soft hose -> Hard line to Engine bay -> Soft hose -> Fuel filter.

Order of things in a late model or 325i:
        Tank -> Fuel pump -> Soft hose -> Fuel filter -> Soft hose -> Hard line to engine bay

I replaced all the soft hose with new. But basically, you remove the dual male connector, and most of the soft hose before it, and replace with the fuel filter.

The mounting bar for the fuel filter when in the engine bay can be bent and perfectly adapted for under the car.

The old and the new system. Old is hard to see with the lighting. The Dual male to male connector is right about where the clear zip-tie is.

Bent bracket

All installed.

Comment

Also the charcoal canister was a lot more simple than I had thought. Although I haven't figured out wiring in the check valve yet.

You do need a check valve from an e34 (probably v8 car, although they may be the same in other models.

Order of things:
          Starting at the exit on the left side of the throttle body---> Hose -> Check valve -> Hose -> Charcoal Canister in -> Charcoal canister out -> Hose -> Hard line on driver frame rail.

Comment

Working...
          X